Good rock climbers don't live in Washington...

offwidthclimber

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MisterE said:

What about the Great White Hope out of Africa, Andy DeKlerk? Doesn't he still live here? confused.gif

Dude...he's been gone for a while now (4-5 years?)...back to capetown...he would qualify as bad-O...Kubiak would qualify as bad-O...and Mike Orr was up there too...couple of strong folks via Stonegardens, but in general, wa. is NOT the center of the climbing world...

deklerk was a good all around climber, but the rest are mostly strong from a sport stand point. there are good climbers here, some of the best have come from wahsington, difference is no one here sprays to the mags about their accomplishments, well atleast most of them.

Here's a former Wa resident:

15770.jpg

Here is the caption:

CP Little at work on his route, "Suzanne Summers", a yet undone project at Dry Canyon. The route traverses about 50' to the lip of the cave, then follows the headwall for another 50' or so. CP later broke both feet against that lip during an all-out redpoint attempt on what will likely be one of Southern Arizona's hardest routes

PP bigdrink.gif

You know erik...The three i quoted pretty much bust ass at everything...

Orr redpointed some solid stuff (cracks etc.) up at Index, and i've personally seen him onsight .12 cracks at Squish (so that would be .10+ at index, hahahaha the_finger.gifdru)

Erik competes on world cup ice, onsights v10/11 boulder problems, sends v12 in a couple of tries, cranks hard trad at the gunks and flashes .13b as well as redpointing .14 b...

Only thing missing from their resumes is mountain/alpine stuff...but i'd think they'd do fine as well...we are basically talking olympic/top college level athletes...Shit, Orr was on the US team for cycling...

Oh, and CP is a crankster as well...but he's been gone for awhile...

Dru said:

cairns is who you think he is. a good climber who left washington!

DCramer said:

Ya you say that as if good footwork and a pleasant personality mattered!

He had to move to balance out EW and NY!

Wow, what footwork! I'm pleasant and mysterious.

Andy de Klerk is pleasant, too.

Climbers that stay in one place stagnate. Unless it's Yos.

Sagittarius is okay but small change to Dru.

Genius Loci is hard for 12b. Don't neglect the first 2 pitches.

Russ Clune, candidate for world's best travelled rock climber, says Grand Wall is his favorite.

How do you know who's good if you don't know them? Sean McColl and Mike Doyle are pretty good. Didn't Mike Orr move on to golf?

See attached for a world class destination.

215831-Filming.jpg.45a56fa38104db430f93f994292813ad.jpg

Cairns said:

Russ Clune, candidate for world's best travelled rock climber, says Grand Wall is his favorite.

Yea, if that guy is such a good climber, why is laying the split pillar back on the pic in the "50 favorite climbs" book? That thing is a total straight in crack.

erik said:

oh yah! ive climmed brown ale, ya know!? thaat thing is like squuamish 10seeee and index .ehhhhhhate. i whooould send dat thing, bhuuut i fergot my tri cams.

i led that this weekend. the crack itself was sweet, but the top out made that the hardest f'ing 5.9 i've ever been on. as e-rock said when he followed my rope up, "5.9 my ass!" (first time i've ever been on a squeeze ledge, too. cantfocus.gif)

thelawgoddess said:

erik said:

oh yah! ive climmed brown ale, ya know!? thaat thing is like squuamish 10seeee and index .ehhhhhhate. i whooould send dat thing, bhuuut i fergot my tri cams.

i led that this weekend. the crack itself was sweet, but the top out made that the hardest f'ing 5.9 i've ever been on. as e-rock said when he followed my rope up, "5.9 my ass!" (first time i've ever been on a squeeze ledge, too. cantfocus.gif)

F'ing care-not Yanks, next time look out for 30-40 gray haired members of the Access Committee droning at you. If that doesn't work Dru will come down and belay off tracks for Sagittarius or proceed directly to concreting of City Park. Or is Lower Malemute open?