solo

Dan_Larson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dare , thats funny. Nope, doofus here got in a hurry and was trying to clear the grass out of the exit chute. It was sewn back and it looks like E.T.s finger right now. Can't quite get it up my nose yet but I am optomistic . Back to the subject , I figure low crawl past the ranger hut up at muir, under the cover of darkness get in the ditch and get across the cowlitz where they can't see ya from the hut. On the way back get 40' behind a rope team while crossing the cowlitz again and maybe it won't be noticed that I am not roped in, any suggestions

Edited by Dan_Larson

Dan:

I don't think you'll be in any less trouble with the rangers as opposed to being roped up with a team without a permit.

If I were contemplating a solo shot up the DC at this time in the season I'd be a lot more concerned about climbing below and behind 200 gumby climbers. Try to get on the route ahead of everybody else to avoid climber induced rockfall at least on the way up. You'll have to take your chances on the way down.

Have fun. thumbs_up.gif

Dan,

Sounds like no one here knows the penalty. You might solicit some response from Ranger Rick and his cronies, but I'm sure that said response would be egregious. I guess you'll have to make the call and be a trend setter. I'm sure the penalty will be a slight monetary fine and verbal barrage. Fuck 'em; go for it. bigdrink.gif

mattp said:

Why not get the permit?

They probably wouldn't give me a solo permit anyways . I have been up to my waist in boot track on that route, feels pretty safe overall to me.I would gladly pay for one but you can't just show up and say " one solo permit please" waiting period etc... just something I have wondered about for a while. I am sure Trask is pretty right on

I've never heard of anybody being denied a solo permit. I believe they do run accross the Super's desk, though, and that involves some degree of wait. I've gotten them twice, and I think I waited no more than a couple days either time (it was certainly no more than a week). I don't think the solo permit reserves your spot on the route, however, so you may still find yourself playing hide and seek from the rangers if you are determined to run up there on a Saturday on short notice in a good-weather period in the middle of the climbing season... but, in my opinion, the solo permission is really not much of a problem in-and-of-itself. Have fun.

hey dan, matt's right... get a permit, you come to rainier all the time anyway don't you? if you're lucky, the NPS sometimes turns solo permits around in 24-48 hours... you could probably have had one by the weekend if you'd have contacted the rangers directly when you started this post. there is a link to the solo climb request form here: http://www.nps.gov/mora/climb/solo.htm

Mike_Gauthier said:

hey dan, matt's right... get a permit, you come to rainier all the time anyway don't you? if you're lucky, the NPS sometimes turns solo permits around in 24-48 hours... you could probably have had one by the weekend if you'd have contacted the rangers directly when you started this post. there is a link to the solo climb request form here: http://www.nps.gov/mora/climb/solo.htm

Tag'um and bag'um, Mike.

Dan,

I really don't think that getting the permit requires much of resume. (They gave me one!) IMHO... They aren't trying to inhibit people from climbing the mountain in the style that they choose, just taking some basic precautions to help make sure they don't have to deal with a gaurnteed recovery. The process is less painfull then you think. I personally, would rather concentrate on not falling into a cravasse than on finding hiding spots. If it had been tough to get a permit, I would have taken the "fuck da man" attitude, (my nature) but it's not a big deal...get the permit. I'm sure even you can.

Dan_Larson said:

If someone were to do the D.C. solo without a permit and got caught what would the penalty be? I figure ya stay in the ditch its a pretty safe solo route , even for me.

forgot mention dan. if they catch YOU w/o a permit, they're going to chain you up in the muir hut with alpinek every saturday. the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif