haul/rap line size

JoshK

I know this has been covered before. I don't care, cause I can't find it.

I'm gonna buy some cord for an alpine haul/rap line. Trying to decide between 6mm, 7mm, or 8mm. 6mm seems scary, I can't imagine rapping on that. 8mm seems nearly as thick as a normal rope, so maybe too heavy, thus I was thinking 7mm. Any body have any advice?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

there are few routes in the casecades that i can think you would need a haul line for. or prolly even two ropes.(and i know i am prolly wrong, so feel free to help me out!)

but i would go with the 7mm and get as tech as you can afford. vectron is a good start.

how do you plan to rap with it?

FWIW I think Dean Potter used 100M of 6 mm line for his solo escapades in Patagonia. You can read about it in AAJ 2002. Getting off of those climbs in Patagonia require many raps so if 6mm if good enough for that, I would say go with 6mm.

If 6mm scares you too much, use 7mm, but 8mm is definitely overkill.

erik said:

iain hit it on the head. are you planning on double rope rapping with it or using it as your pull line for single rope raps?

I would like it to be as versitile as possible. When used with a normal climbing rope, I think using it as a pull line would be easiest since rapping with two ropes of vastly different sizes can be akward. I would also like to use it for single rope raps where i wouldn't have a climbing rope with me...such as soloing where I know rapping will be much easier than downclimbing.

I've rapped on 6mm perlon cord before, with my Reverso. The sheath on the cord stretched in a disconcerting manner. 6mm cord is also really easy to accidentally cut over a sharp rock, or with crampons. I'm going to get 50m of 7mm cord instead, and leave the 6mm cord for prussik loops, cordalette and such. Just my opinion.