Overhand Knot for Rap

richard_noggin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why more people use the an Overhand knot aka Euro Death Knot for rapping. It is simple to tie, easy to untie, pulls smooth across rock, no back-up knot needed, and it is strong. Been using it for years and never gotten the knot to roll, even on wet icy ropes. I tend to tie longer tails than what others have recomended, but thats me.

YOU WILL DIE!!! WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S CALLED THE EURO DEATH KNOT?!

I ran into Michael Stanton on the GNS one evening and we agreed to combing ropes to make it down in 2 raps. He says "Is the Euro Death Knot OK with you?" I look into my wife's now quivering eyeballs and say "sure" and spent the rest of the trip down explaining that it's called the "Death Knot" just for fun.

yelrotflmao.gif

I spent awhile reading about the EDK at one point. There have been fatalities resulting from rolls that eat up short tails over multiple raps. This results from the knot being appropiately tightened.

So, somebody pointed this out already, but you *must* have long tails and you *must* properly tighten the knot. Properly means pulling on the four combinations of opposing strands, until the knot is as tight you can possibly make it.

fleblebleb said:

yelrotflmao.gif

I spent awhile reading about the EDK at one point. There have been fatalities resulting from rolls that eat up short tails over multiple raps. This results from the knot being appropiately tightened.

So, somebody pointed this out already, but you *must* have long tails and you *must* properly tighten the knot. Properly means pulling on the four combinations of opposing strands, until the knot is as tight you can possibly make it.

The data referred to earlier suggests otherwise. The knot only started rolling at about 1000 lbs load for a well dressed, but not "as tight you can possibly make it" knot.

The rolling would likely be very dependent on rope diameters, difference in rope diamters, wetness of ropes, and a host of other variables that weren't tested in that study. I'd bet the knot still rolls at significantly less than 1000 lbs in some cases.

You should check out the pms special-- Fifi hook rappel. I'm not the only fool scared of it. I heard bobinc and company made a bunch of them on some mountain too. Especially when your anchor is fingernail sized stopper.

I checked out Forrest and Westman doing an interesting rappell from an ice climb in BC from a twisted up dead looking bush. As to the size of w I'm still amazed to this day it held. We opted for the big ass tree 50 feet to the right. fruit.gif

Maybe there should be a braggarts discussion of the shitties rap anchors or rappel situations. Obviously the ones where nobody was hurt and the nerves were tweaked wazzup.gifwave.gif

me and whirlwind were in the parking lots at castle rock and some crusty ass foo comes up and says he has a great way for full length rappels with one rope... you tie off to a fi-fi hook some how and attach a ruber band in a way that when you let up pressure, the hook comes off the rock... he says you have to be carefull not to take your weight off of it or the hook will come loose! hellno3d.gif WTF? that is the greatest darwin awards candidate thing i have ever heard... mushsmile.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

me and whirlwind were in the parking lots at castle rock and some crusty ass foo comes up and says he has a great way for full length rappels with one rope... you tie off to a fi-fi hook some how and attach a ruber band in a way that when you let up pressure, the hook comes off the rock... he says you have to be carefull not to take your weight off of it or the hook will come loose! hellno3d.gif WTF? that is the greatest darwin awards candidate thing i have ever heard... mushsmile.gif

It works and that is what I am talking about above..

It's just fucking scary...

Bronco said:

YOU WILL DIE!!! WHY DO YOU THINK IT'S CALLED THE EURO DEATH KNOT?!

I ran into Michael Stanton on the GNS one evening and we agreed to combing ropes to make it down in 2 raps. He says "Is the Euro Death Knot OK with you?" I look into my wife's now quivering eyeballs and say "sure" and spent the rest of the trip down explaining that it's called the "Death Knot" just for fun.

Tee hee! fruit.gif I remember that...

Fence_Sitter said:

That sounds cool! It must take a beefy rubber band to unweight a 7-8lb rope with some friction on the rock in a less than verticle environment. Hmmmmmm....

Anywho, I rapped off a dead shrub backed up with a loose old angle piton set in dirt on Mt. Index once. Shoulda downclimbed or left a new pin. Nah!

a random stone sticking out of the snow in a gulley in the battle range. couldn't get the webbing too far down on it so some serious leverage on that sucka cantfocus.gif

closer to home, a picket and stacked pile of rocks down a gulley on steel cliffs, hood

Bronco said:

Anywho, I rapped off a dead shrub backed up with a loose old angle piton set in dirt on Mt. Index once. Shoulda downclimbed or left a new pin. Nah!

Hey, I think I may have rapped off the same shrub! No back-up tho. North face of north peak, was it? When my partner joined up, we went to pull the rope, and it seemed to be stuck... then we ended up getting the shrub with it! eek2.gif