Larrabee car break in

Bill_Simpkins

Me and my girlfriend were bouldering at Larabee today from 3:30 to 5:30. Her car was broken into and her stereo among other things were stolen. madgo_ron.gif

I'm sick of hearing about theft and vandalism at trailheads and such. It is becoming more and more common. We are easy targets, considering how long we are away from our cars. When I'm out doing something cool in the Cascades, the last thing I want to worry about is the car.

If there is anyone else who feels the same as me and wants to try and do something about it, PM me.

-Bill

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My partner Jim was parked on the Cascade River Road at the base of the Eldorado climber's route. He and Kevin came out to find Jim's Explorer vandalized and their clean cotton clothing stolen! According to the ranger at Marblemount, another explorer was also valdalized in that same time period. They used rocks to break three windows, then grabbed what they could reach through the now broken back window. It was interesting to note what the dirt bags took. They grabbed Jim's boot bag that contained Tevas. They grabbed his duffel bag that contained his clean cotton trailhead clothes. Fortunately, nothing of great value was left in there, but after four days in the backcountry in damp boots, all the guys could think about was how good that cotton would feel, and how they couldn't wait to get out of their boots! Kevin's stuff, on the floor in the back seat, was untouched.

Jim has since had his windows repaired, but we don't feel as comfortable leaving our car for an extended period of time, or any length of time. We were talking the other day about what we could do. I've seen threads that mentioned hiding in the back and waiting until the prowlers started making their rounds, then catching them red-handed. Some of the more radical ideas involved shotguns. pitty.gif I don't think a car clout is worth dying for, but there has to be a way to identify these bottom dwellers and send them to a state pound-me-in-the-ass prison! moon.gif

Let's do a sting in Bellingham soon with a digital camera, during the late afternoon. We can set some bate.

We'll discuss privately another area. Hopefully the people doing it arn't cc.com 'ers.

PM me if you want to set up a time for B'ham.

Edited by Bill_Simpkins

I really suggest you get in touch with the local sheriff office before you take matters into your own hands. I think you would be suprised how effective a letter to the Sheriff can be if it is intellegently written and offers suggestions on how you can be contacted to help them in there investigation, etc. These type if letters might be espesially effective if you mention that the climbing community is so sick of this problem that you are concerned they will take matters into there own hands.

For example, your letter could look like this:

Ever since moving to Washington almost 10 years ago I have spent much of my free time hiking. In order to hike one must leave there car at trail heads to the mercy of any who might be walking by. Several times a year I return to my car only to find a window smashed out and contents of the vehicle stolen. The problem is so prevalent that on any given day it is fairly likely that at least one car in any popular parking area will be broken into and any contents stolen. I have learned not to leave anything of value in my car, but this means I have to be content with my AM radio (anything better will be stolen). I personally have had my car broken into numerous times I know of. After each time I call the sheriff department in the area that the break in occurred and usually get a response of "you should not leave anything valuable in you car", there for blaming the victims instead of the criminals breaking in, or the police that should be enforcing the laws. If these problems are not dealt with by the proper authorities I am concerned that the hiking and climbing community will take matters into there own hands. Several of the internet bulletin boards have people discussing this. By ignoring this problem, the King County Sheriff department is creating a very dangerous situation in which the public confront the criminals by setting up stings of there own with the potential for catastrophic results.

Almost anyone active in the hiking or climbing community would be happy to help the King County Sheriff in dealing with these problems by giving them information on where these incidents are taking place and what time they usually happen. I would be happy to assist you with contacts of citizens who would be willing to assist the sheriff department in dealing with this matter.

Thank you for you time.