Bolt chopping at Rocky Butte

Doug_Hutchinson

What the fuck and by whom? I was amazed to see all the removed anchors at the top many of the Breakfast Cracks classics and elsewhere at the Butte. There is a note on a tree above the Toothpick Wall directed at the perpetrator and mentioning his former signs (which I have not seen). Anyone know what is going on?

It appears time for a huge retro-bolting, cleanup, lovefest at the much-maligned Butt, but first we need to know what is going on out there.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ain't the choppin' sort...but maybe you should consider a little more top-roping, and a little less bolting in your life. Although I'm all for top-rope anchors as a compromise to bolting a top-ropable face. Those you probably shouldn't mess with.

- Dwayner. ahoy!

Edited by Dwayner

Dwayner the bolts that are missing are all top rope anchors. There are very few bolted ground up climbs, and almost everyone who climbs here top ropes or leads the cracks. There's a handful of poorly placed shiney new bolts on a bunch of routes that were left untouched. thumbs_down.gif This simply makes it harder and less safe to rig a propper anchor.

I'd be happy to help with any cleanup and restoration. bigdrink.gif

Dwayner said: Although I'm all for top-rope anchors as a compromise to bolting a top-ropable face.

That's what they are. TR anchors - so you needn't wade through soiled prophylactics, beer bottles, and XXL used underwear to find a tree. Seriously lame to chop TR anchors.

As much as I loathe the butt - I'll lend a hand.

b-rock said:

Dwayner the bolts that are missing are all top rope anchors. There are very few bolted ground up climbs, and almost everyone who climbs here top ropes or leads the cracks. There's a handful of poorly placed shiney new bolts on a bunch of routes that were left untouched. thumbs_down.gif This simply makes it harder and less safe to rig a propper anchor.

I'd be happy to help with any cleanup and restoration. bigdrink.gif

I like Rocky Butte! If you guys and gals up in p-town are gonna do a little cleanup, I'd be willing to drive down (up?)from Eugene to help out. Where else can you climb with semis rumbling by, with graffiti, syringes, broken glass, dirty etc. etc..? Call me insane, but I like the butte. I really do. It's usually pretty cool in the trees.

The AAC has done cleanups in the past and is a source of dollars for hardware. I am already working on that.

I understand Wayne's point about this being a little chapter in the sordid history of the butt, but along those lines, it seems about time for another "golden age" out there with new anchors and some brush cutting.

I take off tomorrow for a two week trip (Lotus Flower Tower) but when I get back I plan on organizing something. I have access to a few rotohammers, anyone else? Why don't you hardcore Tues night people discuss plans over some cheap pints in the meantime and then we have a meeting out there Tues, July 29?

The main tweakers in question are hitting the bolts with a hacksaw or sawzall and trimming the bolt flush with the rock. I wish they would get rid of the "chain-link-on-a-bolt" type anchors. Instead they've removed the anchors from such standards as Blueberry Jam, White Rabbit and Bird of Paradise, leaving ugly saw marks across the now "purified" rock.

I'd fear glue-ins getting sawed off in the same manner.

The Metolius rap hanger on a big-ass button head looks like its holding its own on Bird of Paradise.

Thanks to whoever laid some shiney metal at the top of Phylynx and Tiger's Pause. Much appreciated. Enjoying them while I can...

Hal_Burton said:

The main tweakers in question are hitting the bolts with a hacksaw or sawzall and trimming the bolt flush with the rock. I wish they would get rid of the "chain-link-on-a-bolt" type anchors. Instead they've removed the anchors from such standards as Blueberry Jam, White Rabbit and Bird of Paradise, leaving ugly saw marks across the now "purified" rock.

I'd fear glue-ins getting sawed off in the same manner.

The Metolius rap hanger on a big-ass button head looks like its holding its own on Bird of Paradise.

Thanks to whoever laid some shiney metal at the top of Phylynx and Tiger's Pause. Much appreciated. Enjoying them while I can...

that's fucking bunk yo! hack saw!!?! phaqin amateurs! yeah they are really doing a service to the rock rolleyes.gif

From the sounds of it, the perpetrators are probably not climbers at all, but neighbors who think they can get rid of climbers by chopping the anchors. The thing to do is to place the anchors below the top and out of reach. You'd have to lead the pitch to set up a top rope, but I'd bet the anchors wouldn't see a sawzall again.