Mt Challenger ass whoopin'

Fairweather

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wayne1112 said:

Anybody hear who the 1 day ascent was made by? I dont think he actually did it. snaf.gif

The dude made his way thru the impass around 4pm, had a report of him at the spot where the trail from the Chilliwack hits the top of Easy Ridge ~6pm. Think he said he left at 1am.

I'd say he had a pretty good shot at it. Death march, but do-able.

As far as I know he made it. I met him at the impasse as he was coming down. That was some time in the afternoon. Toast's group says they ran into him in the Hann. Pass area and he was well on his way. It's doable, the question is why? smirk.gif

For those with more, rather than less, time on their hands, there is an alternate approach to Challenger: The Eily- Wiley Traverse (those are two lakes on Challenger Arm).

From Ross Lake, hike up either Big Beaver or Little Beaver Valley to Beaver Pass. At the old shelter, leave trail and head west (I believe 'west'- no map in front of me) toward the forested hillside that is the end of Challenger Arm. Your task is to find the least steep, least brushy, route up that hill for 2,000'. Hint: Favor the left side of the slope (but not the left skyline). If done right, it works well with little brush. After 2,000', the slope moderates and a good boot path can be followed. At the top, do high traverse on the south side of the arm, through pleasant alpine basins, to the huge saddle at the edge of the glacier and below the summit. Rope up and go uphill. From the saddle, if desired, you can easily access the head of Luna Cirque and continue over to Luna Peak and Fury.