Alaska Range TR

specialed

Here's my abbreviated Alaska Range TR from May 22 - June 21.

2 weeks on the SE Fork of the Kahiltna:

-Summited Hunter via Southwest Ridge in 2 days from camp. Stuck in small-ass Bibler with two other dudes and a total of 2 sleeping bags for 3 days and 2 nights in whiteout storm on the way back.

-Topped out onto NE Ridge of Hunter after climbing ice guillet on the Mini-Moonflower Buttress. Sick ice route - grade 5.

-Did about 1/5th of Deprivation on the North Butt to recon for future ascent. Ice was a bit rotten but lots of super cool mixed climbing.

-Hung out with two 22 year-old NPS volunteer chicas grin.gif and some drunk dudes from New Hampshire.

2 weeks in the Ruth Gorge:

-Got stormed on for a week, sat in the Megamid and ate mad pankakes. Hung out with more New Hampshirians - the Darthmouth climbing team.

-Did about half of the West Pillar of the Eye Tooth before sprinting back to camp to avoid imminent whiteout

-Stood in awe of the biggest and sickest mountains I've ever seen.

-Flew back to Talkeetna just in time to hang out with the ladies and drink beer at the Solstice party down by the river. Yee-haw.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys were hanging out on the river on solstice? WE were hanging out on the river on solstice (we flew out that afternoon). we didn't have much choice, since colin couldn't get into the fairview without an ID. bigdrink.gif

oh, and nice climbing, btw. we thought about coming down the SW ridge but it looks even less straightforward than the W ridge.

Forrest: Erik just told me yesterday you were up there. If I'd known I would a said wut up at the bar the other night. But yup Solstice in Talkeetna rips. What did you guys get on on Hunter?

Ryland: long brown hair, blue toyota hatchback. She was a firecracker. smileysex5.gif

Ryland: long brown hair, blue toyota hatchback. She was a firecracker.

And a Panic fan! Did you see the graffiti on her walls? You got sloppy seconds! Yes, she's a firecracker! And a hell of a teleskier to boot! the_finger.gif Sorry we missed you up there, after celebrating at BC on June 1st, we headed straight back to town as there was the memorial for the female pilot who crashed the next day. Good work on those climbs!