Mt. Const...West Ridge..TR

wayne

Alas,it was a good vacation, that ended with returning to the news the carpenters strike is over. I was supposed to be at work mon. , instead, David Parker and I enjoyed the West Ridge of Mt. Constance..

There is a very good reason Kearney selected this climb as one of his favorite classics in this blessed state. It may have its rock quality critics but it doesnt have to be supersolid to be a classic. Hell the Eiger is THE classic period. I felt like Hans and Franz on the Bielgtgenheimerstrussel Direct. We had a trip that easily measures up to most classics in the Cascades.

The thing rocks and you deserve to have little beta for this one. It is something that should just unfold for you .You should however be very prepared for weather and descent knowledge, as the whole tour is vey complicated up on the mt.

Route finding is a big issue. I took the easiest looking way and ended up in 5.6 r -Loose crap. It was a bit scary.

Well its back to the grindstone till Europe in Sept. Have a fun summer ya'all! See you at the club bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was expecting to solo it . David threw his harness and small rack+rope in. He and I were glad we had it on a couple of spots.No rock shoes make it interesting as well. Expect to get off route a little and get into 5.6R -loose.Good stuff to have a rope on. Give the thing a try!

For me, the crux was getting past the goat at the start of the rock climbing from the pass. He was snorting and pawing the air and put his head down, threatening to charge me. I had put my weapon (ski pole) away so felt defenceless. We cautiously passed each other and he meandered off eventually after having followed us 3/4 of the way up Avalanche Canyon from the lake.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...