sick hard boulder problems

dyno_merchant

quote:

Originally posted by daler:
check out the damian potts leavenworth boulder guide. much has been cleaned and climbed up to V8 with plenty of sick stuff left.

dale

i haven't seen the leavenworth guide. last time I was up there it was out but i didn't get to look at it. i guessed my way around leavenworth and found some o.k. stuff. most of the problems i climbed weren't that great except the stuff thats along tumwater (i forget the name of the picknick area). that place had great problems but limited. are there more areas with the quality of rock that tumwater has?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:
Not sure when you left the area but some of the areas east of Mt Vernon have been visited with greater frequency than in the past and some new sport areas have also sprung up.

i left b'ham about 5 years ago but visit for 2 or 3 weeks every summer or fall. there are a few areas that i have heard that have sprung up while i was away. a couple are near big lake area. one has a rad looking overhanging sport wall with hard routes to do. the other was more mixed and trad.

theres also roserio which has an overhanging sport wall near desception pass bridge. looks cool with possible 5.14

the bat caves have seen action. sport and trad mostly. on trips home each year i have dabbled there and there's some cool problems and many still to do. probably about 60 problems done so far.

i also started developing a new area up there this last fall. up near haystack mt awesome free standing boulders (40+ climbable boulders/guessing) only went up there a few times but awesome potential in a semi alpine setting. great rock. the few problems i had time to do were amazing. (one that stood out)i did a 45 degree overhanging arete problem on one of the housesized boulders that was a spectacular V5.

right on dyno...

i'm mainly looking for stuff east of the crest, as i live in northern idaho... but yes, there seems to be lots of stuff to do around banks lake.

other areas i know of...

alta lake near pateros has some good boulders here and there. it's become a memorial day trip with the inlaws, so the fact that there are some perfect boulders and perfect landings is a plus.

another area i remember looking pretty interesting is this island in the columbia river between pateros and wenatchee (perhaps near rocky reach?) boat access only, but lots of big ol' granite blocks all over the damn place. looks like a cool place to camp and boulder in the spring.

peace. [big Drink]

Bc bouldering:

east of the mountains, Pocket Desert near Osoyoos has stuff to v8 i think... also at Skaha there are boulders in the Grand Canyon with lots of potential... the best site in the south Interior is along Hwy 3 & old Nickle Plate Rd. between Keremeos and Princeton, literally hundreds of boulders, free camping, flat landings smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 worth a few weekends.

in the local area if you are bored of the Squamish corridor the fraser valey has tons of bouldering from overhanging pocketed limestone cliff bands just off the road in chilliwack valley, to 4 or 5 areas out around hope with maybe 200 problems up to v10. that's like 2 hrs. drive from bellingham... better than larabee smile.gif" border="0 guidebook maybe out this spring ?

dyno,

my ass just hasn't had a chance to hit some of the eastside areas yet this winter. there's lots o' potential, however.

northern idaho isn't a bouldering mecca, but there are some fun problems at tubbs hill in coeur d'alene. the best problems are at the very low water line - water worn granite on beach landings. however, this winter's a bust. the lake didn't drop enough for the best problems to be dry. the boulders lend themselves to more moderate bouldering. hardest problem is probably V6.

north of coeur d'alene about 20 miles there are a couple hillsides of slabs and boulders that have potential. i've only dinked around up there once or twice, however. who knows what potential there may be. so far only a couple moderates have been done.

other than that, the selkirk crest, around chimney rock, has some great potential from what i hear. huge alpine cirques of granite, talus and boulders. plus there's the benefit of fairly stable north idaho summer weather.

peace.

Originally posted by Dru:[QB]Bc bouldering:

east of the mountains, Pocket Desert near Osoyoos also at Skaha there are boulders in the Grand Canyon with lots of potential... the best site in the south Interior is along Hwy 3 & old Nickle Plate Rd. between Keremeos and Princeton

dru, do you think pocket desert is good in winter or is it to cold? what kind of rock is the stuff between keremeos and princeton?

limestone with pocketed overhangs?!? the only limestone that i found inland was high elevation with a 3 or 4 mile hike on a closed logging road east of bellingham. is this area in b.c. good quality-how do you get there?

it depends on the weather - generally I would guess pocket desert is as climbable as Skaha, IE starting sometime in late February if you dont mind the cold but dry conditions.

FWIW Scott Milton says Hwy 3 is better than pocket desert. more potential. if you can find Brian Goldstone's No Strings Attached bouldering video it has some footage of both areas. the boulders are a mix of granite and metamorphic.

chilliwack limestone - the bouldering is near slesse creek bridge. right off the road. look out for fishermen taking shits in the landing zone. there are great pocketed overhang problems. pockets vanish as you traverse along into the forest.

HOWEVER there are lots of steep limestone cliffs on the north side of the valley just above the Chilliwack Bench Forest service road, from about Thurston to the mouth of Airplane Creek. hikes of up to 30 minutes to the base. little development so far, Mike Crapo put up I think about 5-6 sport routes in the 11 and 12 range on one obvious 50m high crag near Airplane Creek. most of the other cliffs are untouched. i dont know how pocketed most of this stuff is, I think it is fairly karstic so it should have them.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

Squamish, Squamish, Squamish, some kid wiping out on a skateboard grin.gif" border="0 , the Soo Slide boulders at Pemberton, some mystery routes, Pocket Desert, onsight pulling holds off mayhem, a dog climbing v1, Hwy 3, Squamish, squamish, Hope Blair witch style in the rain, some other stuff I forgot.

it won a prize at the VIMFF last year or so.

ive only been to leavenworth for Wash. bouldering and thats all im gonna do until i can climb royal flush rolleyes.gif" border="0 V2 is my all time best, and that was at J Tree rolleyes.gif" border="0

oh actually...not true... i went bouldering at larabee too. if you like that check out the coastline on saturna island or galiano... like 2 mile long sea level traverses on overhanging huecos...

i think there is loads of potential in both places but maybe BC has it better since we were more glaciated so there are more boulders lying around from the glaciers melting?

there are definitely about 5x the boulders near hope that there are near squamish, but 1/1000th of the climbers. the moss is winning the battle.... frown.gif" border="0

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

dru, where are people bouldering around hope? 6 or so years ago we climbed some routes there but never saw that many good boulders laying around (i wasn't looking for boulders though) are there people putting up sport routes there? i remember bushwacking up to an awesome overhanging granite wall that was 50 to 100 feet tall and didn't see any routes on it but it had potential for tons.

get a map and look for yourself. i can't possibly hold your hand the whole time.....my mommy kicked me out along time ago and told me to do my own adventures and and explore the world for myself and anyone looking for a free ride is a bum......

i gave you all you need, just watch the propery lines.....dey got guns and no teef.....

Hunter Creek - access issues though. you got to wade up the ceek to avoid private land.

Old Hope aka Gold Rush - lots of hard stuff. just off Hwy 1 6 km west of hope. park by the Hope next 4 exits sign and walk back 100m to find a trail. north facing, damp in springtime, huge spiders shocked.gif" border="0 nothing much under v4ish.

Lake Of The Woods - 2km north of hope. right by hwy 1. thousands? of boulders, maybe 75 problems to date. lots of easier problems and even cracks. mostly where i climb. might be the biggest boulder field outside of the soo slide, in SW BC. Elbow Lake - north of Chilliwack on the road to the Chehalis. some problems to v8 and lots of swimming in the summertime.

Chilliwack Valley - limestone as described and also along the post Creek trail at Chilliwack Lake (granite and conglomerate)

Hope Slide - by the parking lot on hwy 3. metamorphics.

Rockface - on Hwy 7 near the trailer park of the same name. mostly undeveloped. access can be swampy in the spring.

Saddle Rock - 50km north of hope - mostly undeveloped. look out for squatters living under the boulders.

Nicolum - across from Nicolum Prov park on Hwy 3. about 10 boulders roadside with a cool 60m wall behind. undeveloped (i think)

there are some others Im not allowed to talk about too smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
get a map and look for yourself. i can't possibly hold your hand the whole time.....my mommy kicked me out along time ago and told me to do my own adventures and and explore the world for myself and anyone looking for a free ride is a bum......

i gave you all you need, just watch the propery lines.....dey got guns and no teef.....

it doesn't hurt to ask...

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: dyno merchant ]

quote:

Originally posted by dyno merchant:

rumpola!

just like the other night when some idiot was swearing at me in spanish at one of my soccer games.....

here's my reply

"you see there i go again letting work dictate my thoughts...."

have a good one!

grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

here's my reply

"good one dumb fuck, your incoherant nonsensical gibberish of a insult means nothing to me, i don't speak your language so you might want to return home and try it on someone else who might give a rat ass......or might even be insulted"

have a good one!

grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

rumpola! is definitly gibberish but please don't take it as an insult! Rumpola! is more of a strange bonding thing like giving a high five or saying stupid things like whatsuuuuuuuup! Defn. rumpola-when first person bends over and acidentally exposes butt crack the second person stiffens hand like a board and presses stiff hand into buttock while yelling "rumpola"!