Squamish Car Break-ins

last night thieves stole the entire town of squamish! by now it has been broken up at a chop shop and soon little bits of squamish, and cheap pirated copies made in guangdong, wiull be available for purchase on the streets of hong kong.

I just bid on some sidewalk and a mailbox on e-bay. It's going fast.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't one of the local shops offering storage space for a minimal donation or something? tlg? murraysovereign? snoboy?

Yes, we've done that in the past. Space is a bit cramped in the back rooms right now with all the inventory piled up, but we can probably find room for a couple of duffles.

Maybe PM me, or call the shop 1 877 892 9092, we'll set you up.

And just to update everyone, the people who manage Brennan Park Rec Centre are looking into installing bus-depot style lockers. Not sure if they have budget for it, or when we might see them in place, but the District is aware of the problem and various options are being explored.

Some nice new toyo forerunner with colorado plates was victim of a smash n grab in the smokebluff parking area yesterday. Lots of broken glass to greet them climbers when they return. There was lots of gear in the car that the thieves didn't want but it looked like there was a purse on the floor of the car. This is really lame to let happen to some visiting climbers.

Too bad there isn't a sign for new visitors to warn them of the hazard. Could some squamish local on this site suggest this to the squamish township? Anybody have a suggestion for who I should contact to ask for this to happen?

thanks

gene

Gene, your post has been copied and forwarded to the Mayor, and to the Recreation Department's Manager of Special Projects.

If you'd like to send them a note of your own, you can e-mail:

Mayor Ian Sutherland "isutherland@squamish.ca"

Manager of Special Projects Bruce Goldsworthy "bgoldsworthy@squamish.ca"

And you might also cc the Operations and Parks department "OperationsDept@squamish.ca", but Ian and Bruce would be the ones who give the Ops people their marching orders, so e-mail them for sure.

i saw broken glass all over at the secret boulderers parking lot near the apron descent trail base too.

but my car was not broken into all day

maybe because it is a rusted out POS with nothing of value visible inside?

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, here's the deal.

I still want to come to Squamish- have there been many more break-ins lately?

If so, does anyone have some extra BC plates I could borrow for a few weeks?

I need to get up there and climb!

I've heard of very few break-ins this year, compared with past years. There was a bit of a flurry of them a couple of months ago, but since then it seems it's been pretty quiet.

It's certainly not something to cancel your trip over - people can and do get sick in Mexico, but people still go, and the vast majority have no problems at all. Likewise with vehicle break-ins, be they in Squamish or Banff or downtown Vancouver or Exit 38 - for every one you hear about, there are hundreds or thousands who didn't have any problems.

And borrowing "local" plates likely won't make any difference aside from exposing yourself to some major legal problems if you get pulled over for anything, and probably voiding your insurance in the event of an accident. Most of the break-ins I've heard about this year have involved local vehicles, so maybe you'd be better off with "foreign" plates. Or maybe not: it really doesn't seem to matter that much.

So come on up. Yes, you need to exercise a bit of caution and common sense, but no more so than anywhere else. And if you're really that gripped about it, let me know when you get here and I'll make some room in the back of the shop for you to stash your stuff so you can relax and enjoy yourself.

• 4 weeks later...