Squamish Car Break-ins

Just got back from Squamish. We had a great time, others did not.

There has been a rash of car break-ins in the parking lots at the local crags. I talked to two different groups that had their cars vandalized in the Smoke Bluffs parking lot.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Man, I had a great time in Cheakamus until 7:30 on SUN night, right before heading back to home - Car break-in! I had nothing visible in my car, but my Gregory pack, tent, sleeping bags, and other camping gears were in the trunk and all stolen.

Went to a police office and an officer told me they had 8 cases of break-ins in the same day!!!

When Im camping, I pretty much leave everything at the site. But on the day of departure, I usually packup, get some climbing done, and head back. As far as I know there is no coin lockers where I can put all my shit for a reasonable price.

They have to do something about this. Installing a descent number of coin lockers would be a good start...

yeah, my driver side window was smashed and trunk broken.

I won't go back to Squamish until they install the lockers! and I'll stuff everything in there and leave my car absolutely empty and unlocked!!!

oh, and if I see you, petty thieves, I'll chop your hands off so you can never steal again.

one squamish local tough guy told me that he encountered some fellows breaking in cars in the Shannon Falls parking, and so grabbed a large bar from his truck to confront them and they pulled a gun on him. So all you keener vigilantes may want to exercise some 'situational awareness'. thumbs_up.gif

I just thought of a good movie script:

"Forigner takes revenge for all the helpless soles who have lost their livelyhoods(climbign equipment etc..). Forigner sneaks into said country, and kills the varmin who test the good way of life. Guns, Tar, lynching just a warm up for the main course...."

I think it could be a delightful movie, now i just need to become and actor bigdrink.gif

• 10 months later...

Hey, did a search on this thread becuase I'm planning on taking a big trip up to Squamish in late July/ early August. We'll be camping the whole time and will have all of our stuff in a Subaru Outback- are the breakins still a problem up in Squamish, or have the thieves calmed down this summer? Our vehicle will have South Dakota plates- would BC plates reduce the risk of getting broken into? If so, does anyone have old BC plates they'd be willing to hook up? Thanks y'all.

Hey, did a search on this thread becuase I'm planning on taking a big trip up to Squamish in late July/ early August. We'll be camping the whole time and will have all of our stuff in a Subaru Outback- are the breakins still a problem up in Squamish, or have the thieves calmed down this summer? Our vehicle will have South Dakota plates- would BC plates reduce the risk of getting broken into? If so, does anyone have old BC plates they'd be willing to hook up? Thanks y'all.

yellaf.gif I would describe our Northern Friends as (to borrow a phrase) "Mostly Harmless"

Keep it out of sight, whatever country you're in.

Edited by MisterE

Weekend before last some guys stole part of our gear from Elfin Lakes hut at Garibaldi Park.

My friend and me departed very early from hut on Sunday morning to climb East Face of Garibaldi. We left some extra stuff in the hut. Afternoon we realized that some stuff is missing. My therm-a-rest, his stove and small alarm clock. We probably look naive to you but we have many years of climbing experience in Europe and here, in Canada.

We made mistake thinking that because we don't like to even touch other people's stuff nobody will touch ours, but ...

There is only one answer to all this problems: to go higher and deeper into mountains. From all my experince I can tell that if you go higher on the mountains you will meet better people.

I bought new therm-a-rest and everything is OK but my friend still missing badly small Telefunken alarm clock, 15 years old, present from his mom when he went to university. Value of that clock is 25 cents on the garage sale but for him much, much more.

So, see you somewhere where parking climbers from Squamish or mountaineers from BC huts doesn't like to go.

Cheers,

wave.gif

Zoran

Edited by Zoran

So there's no hope then? Dammit. I want to go to Squamish in the worst way, but I don't want to worry about these fucking thieves stealing anything and everything.

Will the thieves steal things from the campground if you leave your tent up and some stuff inside?

last night thieves stole the entire town of squamish! by now it has been broken up at a chop shop and soon little bits of squamish, and cheap pirated copies made in guangdong, wiull be available for purchase on the streets of hong kong.