Mt JungleGym TR and Necronomicon sighting

Cpt.Caveman

chirp said:

I am sensing ***Moron Alert***. Cutting down trees is a major dull wit, nimrod move. But alas thats what the neuvo sport/gym bred climber mentality seems to be based on.

People were cutting down trees at Index to improve climbing long before the terms sport climber or gym climber were even thought of.

Pull your head out of your ass. wave.gif

snaf.gif

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AlpineK said:

chirp said:

I am sensing ***Moron Alert***. Cutting down trees is a major dull wit, nimrod move. But alas thats what the neuvo sport/gym bred climber mentality seems to be based on.

People were cutting down trees at Index to improve climbing long before the terms sport climber or gym climber were even thought of.

Pull your head out of your ass. wave.gif

snaf.gif

FUQ, I dont really give a rats ass, I'm just sick of the preponderance of ignorant people and unfortunately the bulk of them are crawling out in the open these days! Pfft on yours, and BTW its warm up in here on cold days!

trask said:

chirp said:

you're a dumb shit

eat balls asseyes

Ouch, careful, your intellect is showing! hahaha.gif

Chirp you are the one who is the idiot. If it wasn't for folks in the past who were willing to cut trees at climbing areas there would be next to no climbing in Western Washington. It's a jungle around here, and if you don't keep stuff cut back you wont have any climbing. wazzup.gif

AlpineK said:

Chirp you are the one who is the idiot. If it wasn't for folks in the past who were willing to cut trees at climbing areas there would be next to no climbing in Western Washington. It's a jungle around here, and if you don't keep stuff cut back you wont have any climbing. wazzup.gif

TREES ARE THE ENEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlpineK said:

*sigh* I gotta keep reminding myself where I am.. "This family supported by timber dollars" mentality Pacific Northwest. It's your job so obviously you have to maintain a certain ideology and I respect you for that. But being an emotional tree hugger ( I must admit, Las Vegas did break me of the recycling habit - you have to give me credit there) I just see the ravaged hills done by "The Tree growing people" and their ilk, it really makes me sick. All for the sake of dollars.

So to take it to the level of " Oh, well it helps keep the climbing area free of moss and affords us better views of the routes, is just another way of justifying resource abuse for selfish means, but on a much smaller scale. So yeah mebbe I am a little aggro on such a topic but heck, thats me. As for the idiot comment and the slams, thats small minded on your part for assuming my stance without proof smile.gif

Chirp-

Are you for real or are you trolling? I've read "the tragedy of the commons" and I like nature and all, and I definitely agree with you on the evils of unmitigated resource extraction ... but we're talking about trimming trees and pulling weeds on a very small scale, and we're advocating doing a careful and clean job of it. To compare that to clear cutting is rediculous.

TREES ARE THE ENEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattp said:

Chirp-

Are you for real or are you trolling? I've read "the tragedy of the commons" and I like nature and all, and I definitely agree with you on the evils of unmitigated resource extraction ... but we're talking about trimming trees and pulling weeds on a very small scale, and we're advocating doing a careful and clean job of it. To compare that to clear cutting is rediculous.

TREES ARE THE ENEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe, no im not trolling, just getting "emotional" on a subject I see as being pretty important, what with the immense increase in the popularity of climbing. Granted it's a VERY small resource but where do we draw the line, what is taboo one day, if done in small increments becomes commonplace and accepted eventually. I just want people to be aware of their impacts on a local scale with respect to the bigger picture. Look at the issue of erosion and waste at popular climbing areas, one has to look at the folks and their casual, self focussed attitude towards their resource. I just saw how second pullout at redrocks was treated and cringe whenever I hear about folks "abusing" an area. it might be apples and oranges but to me its similar.

Stuff grows fast in the NW, abundant moisture and mild temps so really its not a big deal. I am just focussed on general awareness and thoughts for the future.

I see both side to most arguments so I totally respect and see what folks are saying, it just strikes me on a core level cantfocus.gif

Aha. I agree that we all need to think about what we are doing and to consider the cumulative impacts of any development or maintenance activities, and et cetera. We also need to recognize that there is also a very definite set of changes that will come about if we do nothing -- trails erode, cracks fill up with dirt and bushes, bolts rust, hangers are stolen .... There will always be differences of opinion as to what is best, as illustrated by Cavey's troll about that tree on the Great Northern Slab or the discussion about a certain tree at the base of Godzilla that took place about a month ago.

Chirp I suggest you spend the weekend figuring out the difference between a logger and an arborist. In reality my job involves a lot of tree preservation.

Now here's a question for you; let's say your maried with a 5 year old child and you own a house. Outside your kids bed room is a big leaf maple with 70% decay in the stem. What are you going to do?

Or a less extreme example: You've just spent $300,000 on a house with several large trees rubbing into the roof and siding. There is no way to prune the tree away from the house without wrecking the tree. What are you going to do?

JoshK said:

Or what about when some trees in a city park block your view like that bastard old judge here in Seattle... hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

You pay the city .5 mill for the damages you cause. yellaf.gif

The city of Bellevue made some homeowner who topped a bunch of trees for his view pay a big fine and then do a bunch of community service.

AlpineK said:

Chirp I suggest you spend the weekend figuring out the difference between a logger and an arborist. In reality my job involves a lot of tree preservation.

Now here's a question for you; let's say your maried with a 5 year old child and you own a house. Outside your kids bed room is a big leaf maple with 70% decay in the stem. What are you going to do?

Or a less extreme example: You've just spent $300,000 on a house with several large trees rubbing into the roof and siding. There is no way to prune the tree away from the house without wrecking the tree. What are you going to do?

AlpineK, you are an arborist, which is an art and skill that involves pruning trees and clearing safety hazards. (good guys)

Weyerhauser is a full scale profit industry designed for reaping profit from harvesting timber on a LARGE scale.(bad guys to a degree)

I fully understand what you do and respect fully the service you provide. I am merely getting at random disrespect for the natural areas and how that undermines the good of the community at large.

I do get emotional and am a big champion of the underdog in regards to the envioroment and dumbasses.

You just happen to have a profession that is semi related to a portion of the thread.

You take a defensive stance and I understand. I am not attacking you or your service but looking at it from a more global or all encompassing standpoint.

It is not about trees but about a way a society evolves and how the individuals within that society develop an co-exist.

LOL this is all important but really has gone beyond the scope of this forum, so i'll lay down my spikes (for the moment) and we can just get on with having fun smile.gif.

Fence_Sitter said:

chirp said:

Fence_Sitter said:

shut up rolleyes.gif

Oh dont get me started Fence_Sitter cantfocus.gif

shut up! rolleyes.gif

Pfft! bounce2.gif

(sorry fence_sitter, I just had to counter your intelligent

response with one of similar, lackluster quality.)

Edited by chirp

Fence_Sitter said:

chirp said:

Fence_Sitter said:

chirp said:

Fence_Sitter said:

shut up rolleyes.gif

Oh dont get me started Fence_Sitter cantfocus.gif

shut up! rolleyes.gif

Pfft! bounce2.gif

(sorry fence_sitter, I just had to counter your intelligent

response with one of similar, lackluster quality.)

shut up! rolleyes.gif

LOL cantfocus.gif

Chirp, so clean you ass with plastic wrap, blow your nose like the French when in the office, and then move out of your house or apartment or condo if its of wood construction. Support the concrete industry or the steel industry...they just dig up the ground and blast it. Rocks dont' grown back, but you are too short sighted to see that, or else to fucking stupid of a cunt to realize it.

johnny_destiny said:

Chirp, so clean you ass with plastic wrap, blow your nose like the French when in the office, and then move out of your house or apartment or condo if its of wood construction. Support the concrete industry or the steel industry...they just dig up the ground and blast it. Rocks dont' grown back, but you are too short sighted to see that, or else to fucking stupid of a cunt to realize it.

LOL actually you're missing my point, its not about wood, which is a great resource, but in fact if you had actually paid attention to the above thread and my thoughts (not just made a random, aggro drive by post) you would see I am bemoaning individuals and their actions in relation to their environment and impact on those around them.

AND to be such a rude punk as well is really pretty crappy smile.gif, my posts, typically refrain from childish (hiding behind your monitor) language. Your what, like 14 years old? fruit.gif

Edited by chirp