Climbers jumped at Squamish!!!

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sobo said:

Squamish892 said:

blah blah "Happy 4th of July" blah blah blah Happy Canada day blah blah blah Happy 4h of July... The teens took offence to it and any drunk person would probably do the same..

While we Americans might recognize and appreciate your public apology on the teens' behalf, there is still is no excuse for what happened. Maybe I'm wrong here, but you seem to be offering drunkeness as an excuse for their behavior, for which there is none! hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

You're right Sobo, but when dealing with drunk teen Canucks on Canada Day, wishing them a happy 4th of July was not the best move.

wave.gif

I could be wrong, but I think that had the tables been turned, and 20 drunk American delinquents had beaten the shit out of 3 Canadian tourists after they had the audacity to say "Happy Canada Day" on the Fourth of July, the story would have gone global in less than 24 hours, and would have been immediately followed by a series of overwrought editorials condemning the American culture of violence, etc, etc, etc.

I nominate Dru and Snoboy to start a Hoods-in-the-Woods (pronounced Hewds in the Wewds) program featuring compulsory offwidth climbing and turns pushing the Unimog uphill to turn around the at-risk youth in Squampton.

That makes my stomach turn! I once camped at the base of the Grand Wall in that little campground and had a negative experience with some of the locals as well. Whats up with that? I thought all those good home grown hits would mellow them out. boxing_smiley.gif

I see this stupid thread is still going. As long as there's alcohol and dumb ass young kids there's gonna be violence. Always has been and always will be. Could've happened just as easily on this side of the border, although in the USA we don't need a fuckin gang of 50 to beat up 3 or 4 people. Personally, I think those canadian punks are pussys.

Yes, the world is a less-than perfect place, unfortunately.

But it may serve all interests to comment/communicate in a manner that does not engage in what might be construed as incitment, but toward a positive end - to inform others to be careful. And also to be careful in Mexico where US climbers have been, in the past, shaken down for hundreds of dollars by the local police. In fairness - Reminder: vicious murders have taken place in US national parks...

JayB said:

I could be wrong, but I think that had the tables been turned, and 20 drunk American delinquents had beaten the shit out of 3 Canadian tourists after they had the audacity to say "Happy Canada Day" on the Fourth of July, the story would have gone global in less than 24 hours, and would have been immediately followed by a series of overwrought editorials condemning the American culture of violence, etc, etc, etc.

I strongly disagree. If Canadians retorted with "Happy Canada Day" most US teenagers would be confused as it is commonly thougth that Canada is not even a nation, just that territory to the north of us. Or they would think it's a "cool" new band or something.

Only climbing nerds know what Canada is - that place you go to get good deals on climbing stuff... Geek_em8.gif

Bronco said:

JayB said:

I strongly disagree. If Canadians retorted with "Happy Canada Day" most US teenagers would be confused as it is commonly thougth that Canada is not even a nation, just that territory to the north of us. Or they would think it's a "cool" new band or something.

Only climbing nerds know what Canada is - that place you go to get good deals on climbing stuff... Geek_em8.gif

I am with you there. It is unthinkable that most American teenagers -especially the kind that inhabit Monroe - would give 1/1000th of a shit about Canada, let alone resent it. But if the unthinkable happened and the scenario I mapped out actually occured, I think it would be a much bigger story.

bigdrink.gif here goes...

So, I'm wondering if you (the ignorant travelers to whom were jumped) are ever going to tell the truth about what you said while visiting another country.

Blame the group of drunk teens all you want but it all comes down to writing a check your butt couldn’t cash.

do the math - 30 teens drunk on national pride and daddy's moonshine don't need to hear all the reasons America is better then their home turf. Even if you have media connections out the wazzoo.

whew, just had to get that off the chest. Everyone is welcome to Canada, just leave your chip at home.

fruit.gif

plat said:

So, I'm wondering if you (the ignorant travelers to whom were jumped) are ever going to tell the truth about what you said while visiting another country.

Blame the group of drunk teens all you want but it all comes down to writing a check your butt couldn’t cash.

do the math - 30 teens drunk on national pride and daddy's moonshine don't need to hear all the reasons America is better then their home turf. Even if you have media connections out the wazzoo.

whew, just had to get that off the chest. Everyone is welcome to Canada, just leave your chip at home.

fruit.gif

Are you retarded?

E-rock said:

plat said:

fruit.gif

Are you retarded?

i think mommy was drinking daddy's moonshine while he was in her tummy bigdrink.gifcantfocus.gif

Oh man.... yellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifyellaf.gif What a loser. Got it off your chest, but how about the chunk on your shoulder? wazzup.gif

Yeah, and the girl that was raped was asking for it because she was wearing a short skirt. wazzup.gif

Great logic....... yellaf.gif

Canda rocks rockband.gif Those punks suck and don't represent Canada or Candians. cool.gif

Figger_Eight said:

Locals hassling tourists isn't anything new, nor does it only happen in Squamish. However 30 on 3 is bullshit and cowardly. Canadians are a bunch of pot smoking pussies the_finger.gifboxing_smiley.gifthe_finger.gif

Look at Dru, He's too much of a pussy to climb at Index. wazzup.gif

I'll forgive youre comment about pot smoking.....this time

I was up in Squamish the weekend of July 4th, and something similar happened to us. It did not involve us directly, but another group camped at the campground.

It happened on Sat, July 5th, about midnight or 1am at the campground next to the rec center.

There was a large group of campers across from us(maybe 10-15 adults in several winebego type things, some kids(who were in bed by the time this happened)). The group was canadian(had bc plates on there cars)

We were in our tent trying to sleep, so did not see what happen, just heard everything. The gang of kids (probably 20 of them, but I'm not sure) was partying over by the skate park at the rec center. One of the kids walked through the camper campsite, and apparently tryed to steal their cooler(or look in it). The campers told the kid to not walk through there campground and to leave. I would say they were pretty rude to the kid. The kid went back to his gang and they started yelling stuff at the campers. I remember they called them some homophobic words as well as some racist words. The campers kind of brushed it off for a while, then went and chased after them a little. The gang ran away rather then fight(the campers were big guys, not people you would want to get in a fight with). The campers kept yelling, Include yelling the words "we got guns and sh*t". The campers called the police, and an officer came pretty quickly (less then 5 minutes). The officer talked to the campers, and put in a pretty good effort looking for the kids (who had all run off). He probably spent a 1/2 hour looking around. I don't think he arrested anyone, but he might have given a ticket to some people. The kids did not come back that night(I think, I fell asleep some time after that).

Just wanted to let people know that the other incident was certainly not isolated, and I would stay away from the camp next to the rec center. Also, this had nothing to do with us vs canada. These campers were canadian. I suspect in the other incedant that they were just looking for trouble, and jumped on the us license plates as an excuse.

By the way, they were filming a movie in the city center (Walking Man or something like that) while we were up there. I guess it is starring the Rock. It looks pretty stupid, but it was kind of interestign to watch them film

NO IT TOOK PLACE AT THE REC CENTER CAMPGROUND.

I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THE REC CENTER WAS A SHIT HOLE AND WHEN THEY INSTALLED THE SKATE PARK IT TURNED WORSE.

HOW COME SKATE PARKS ALWAYS HAVE PUNKS HANGING AROUND THEM?

From today's "Squamish Chief":

"Squamish RCMP revealed on Thursday (July 31) that the investigation into the now-infamous Canada Day incident at Kinsmen campground has taken a major step forward.

Six people have been arrested and released with a promise to appear in court, Cpl. Greg Mainman said, adding that the investigation is ongoing.

He noted that the RCMP has not spoken directly with the Americans and at this point the police are waiting to determine if the Americans are going to accept the offers to come back to Squamish or Vancouver for a visit.

A report is yet to be submitted to Crown Counsel.

Once Crown Counsel gets the report, charges will be recommended and those over 18 can be named."

This is definitely news to us! I can only hope it's true. We are planning on going to Vancouver, thanks to an offer by a carriage company and many others. It is true that the RCMP has not contacted us, although we did call them on Aug. 1st, as well as the Squamish Mayor. Neither of them have returned our calls, but hopefully we will hear more on Monday.

crazy.gif

murraysovereign said:

ShannieRose509 said:

hopefully we will hear more on Monday.

crazy.gif

Just so you know - Monday is a statutory holiday on this side of the border, so don't expect to hear much until Tuesday, probably. As you've seen first-hand, we take our holidays pretty seriously up here grin.gifbigdrink.gif

yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gif