• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Sunday marks the sixth annual Squamish Triathlon - a

Memorial to Bob McIntosh, a great community event which

sprung from one of our community?s greatest and most

public tragedies.

Bob McIntosh was a Squamish doctor beaten to death by a group of Squamish youth at a party. frown.gif

trask said:

snoboy said:

Local media has been queried...

They know nothing, but are going to ask the RCMP.

I'll post if anything else comes up.

It looks like you're trying your damndest to discredit the original poster's claim. Why? I'm sure it happened and your people and gov't. authorities are covering it up. Give it up. This kind of shit happens here in America too; what, you think you Canadians are above this type of bullshit? Fuck.

Just for all of those who said I was trying to discredit the original post, and that there is a "cover-up"; I'd like you to know that at least two local papers have carried this story on their front pages, and that one of them, The Squamish Chief, was alerted to the story by my queries.

Seems those local teens are busy beavers: web page Yikes!

McKay building burns

Arson suspected in dumpster fire that spread to businesses

By John French

Reporter

Dentville residents woke to an acrid smoky smell last Friday morning (June 20).

The McKay building at Buckley and Britannia Avenues, the former home of McKay’s and Greg Gardner Motors and current home to Sea to Sky Courier and an auto repair shop, went up in flames after a garbage bin at the back of the building was set on fire.

“We believe it is a set fire,” confirmed Squamish Fire Rescue deputy chief Steve Virgint. “We believe it was started in the dumpster and the fire rolled up and outwards from the dumpster and eventually destroyed the two businesses. There were other dumpster fires in the area at the same time.”

According to Virgint there is no evidence the arsonist or arsonists used an accelerant as he said it looked like the fire was started using the garbage in the bin.

“We’ve had these dumpster fires off and on for the last few months,” he said. “It is a fire that commonly involves youth and we’ve had this type of fire throughout town.”

He said these types of fires were recently set as far north as Brackendale and Virgint added that the local recycling bins are sometimes targeted.

In this case, the garbage bin fire turned into a structure fire because the bin was located in a covered area and the flames from the bin spread to the overhanging roof above.

Kal Kaila of Sea to Sky Courier is offering a reward of $1,000 for information leading to a conviction of the person or people who set the fire.

He said on Tuesday (June 24) that it is too early to attach a figure to the losses suffered by his company.

“When it is said and done, to us, it is huge,” he said. “I couldn’t put a loss volume on it. It is over $100,000 and that is not including future potential loss of business.

“We’re having trouble finding a place to move to and we are going to lose money while we find something else and we are going to be forced to move into something that isn’t ideal for our needs. It never fails that when you aren’t looking there’s plenty and when you are looking there’s nothing to be found.”

The timing of the fire is ironic for Kaila as his wife gave birth to a baby on Monday. He said the fire distracted him and his mind was not on the happy occasion the way he wanted it to be.

Instead, Kaila is using six mobile phones to run the business while trying to find a new roof.

“It is the billing and that kind of stuff that is putting us behind because we can’t do that work,” he said. “One computer company told us that they can’t recover our data from the hard drive of our computer. We lost a month of billing information and that is huge.”

He said its business as usual for 23 of his employees but two office workers are sitting at home and aren’t being paid.

The other business affected by the fire is Money’s Automotive Ltd. Money said on Wednesday (June 25) that he too is having trouble finding somewhere to set up shop again. He isn’t sure if his equipment survived the fire and the three people employed by his company are all out of work.

He said that the owners of the building, Cory and Dwayne McKay, did not indicate to him that they plan to rebuild on their land. In a statement to The Chief Thursday, Cory McKay said plans for the future of the site are “unknown at this time.”

Money met with his insurance company Tuesday and he said the meeting went well.

Const. John Marinis reported in a news release that the fire was reported at 12:45 a.m. Friday when someone called 911 to report that a garbage bin at Howe Sound Secondary was on fire. That call was followed by other reports that Sea to Sky Courier was on fire.

According to Marinis, there were two bins on fire at the school and a third was burning at the youth centre that night.

RCMP are asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area between 12:15 and 1 a.m. on Friday to call the RCMP at 604-898-9611, Squamish Fire Rescue at 604-898-9666 or Crimestoppers at 604-892-8477.

Shannon and co. saw something suspicious and called RCMP.....seems RCMP didn't care too much after all. It's too bad Money's shop in Squish was trashed, he's an ultracool guy.

Maybe this is your man.

more than you'd ever want to know about Squamish youth. web page

and heres the story about the lawyer that got beat todeath by squamish kids web page

Seems the RCMP has motivation to keep quiet on the recent youth/climber confrontation issue. I would guess the RCMP and Squamish Mayor may not want to confirm their Squamish youth are totally out of control.

Maybe they're afraid, for some reason, to squash the problem. Who knows, but it seems like there's sufficient evidence out there to warrant care when in the area.

Old_Man said:

Seems the RCMP has motivation to keep quiet on the recent youth/climber confrontation issue. I would guess the RCMP and Squamish Mayor may not want to confirm their Squamish youth are totally out of control.

Maybe they're afraid, for some reason, to squash the problem. Who knows, but it seems like there's sufficient evidence out there to warrant care when in the area.

sorry but your post seeps with vitriol. while it does seem like squamish has youth problems, as the report says there are "areas of concern", but this is a far cry from "totally out of control".

like many communities in the western world squamish is grappling with youth who feel alienated, poverty, teen violence and substance abuse. doesn't seem too out of the ordinary and no cause for particular alarm.

I do not get any sense that anybody there is trying to sweep the matter under the carpet.

your reactionary comments do not help in the least.

A man who broke into a vehicle in an underground parking garage called the fire department when the stolen van he was driving caught fire.

Michael Mathauser, 20, of Squamish, was arrested on June 15 for theft, stolen property, break and enter and breach of probation.

“It was like ‘America’s Dumbest Criminals,’” said Mel Fisher, whose Jeep was apparently broken into by Mathauser.

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

Glad you were able to spend time chatting amicably with locals, and also that you managed to spend money in stores. Hopefully mine was one of them grin.gif .

Sorry about the rain thing, but it couldn't be helped. It was aimed at a group of Australians who had long over-stayed their welcome. A couple of them had been here for at least three days, maybe longer, and we have to draw the line somewhere. Once these infestations take hold they're nearly impossible to eradicate. Take a look at what's happened in Whistler if you don't believe it.

So, while it's unfortunate you were adversely affected by the rain, I think you'll agree it was a necessary and prudent measure. Think of yourself as a front-line soldier in the on-going "War on Riff-Raff", and wear your scars proudly.

2 girls were arrested (supposedly) for being drunk & stupid in public... they made the cops mad & wouldn't shut up. No one has been arrested (to my knowledge) for what happened to us. I do want to say that the mayor & the RCMP have recently told us that they are inquiring into the matter & have begun questioning several teens. smile.gif

When I was up there on July 4th weekend there were lots of youngsters out on the highway trying to thumb rides very late at night. 2am? Is that normal?

Some of them were young vixenish females... Trask would have had a field day.

Scandalous.

I am a resident of Squamish.. Im 18 and i am glad to say i was not involved in what happend with the 3 American Climber.. I first off would like to say Im sorry it happend..And i dont not Mind Americans, I work at the Local McDonalds and i we get alot of American visitors comming through there.. I also want to express my views on "AMERICA" , I dont like the government ( George W.Bush) but i know well enough not to take it out on Americans.. The Majority of Americans that come up here are EXTREMELY NICE, and very pleasent.. I have nothing against Americans. I also wanted to tell those three climbers that WIshing a "Happy 4th of July" to a large group of drunken Teens" was not a very good idea.......Happy Canada day would have been a better responce, and then maybe a Happy 4h of July... The teens took offence to it and any drunk person would probably do the same.. And i also want to point out that the RCMP is excellent in Squamish, however i do agree they should have done more to please the three American visitors.. And i think maybe the wise crack about "maybe we better bring a gun next time we come up here" didnt go to well with them....... Dont hold this against Squamish... I also would like to offer future visitors advice if they ever plan on comming up here.. DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CARE.. I know this from experience.. Have an alarm system or the apperance of one.. Avoid parking in shaded areas... If the three climber are reading this... I just want to say that what happend to you should not have happend.... That was the result of drinking... I hope you would take up our mayors offer and come visit again.. .. Thanks for your time..

Squamish892 said:

blah blah "Happy 4th of July" blah blah blah Happy Canada day blah blah blah Happy 4h of July... The teens took offence to it and any drunk person would probably do the same..

While we Americans might recognize and appreciate your public apology on the teens' behalf, there is still is no excuse for what happened. Maybe I'm wrong here, but you seem to be offering drunkeness as an excuse for their behavior, for which there is none! hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif