• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erik said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

here's what would happen if it was me:

girls: Happy Canada Day!

me: Happy Canada Day!

YUP!

AND GREG I WAS BUSTED BY THE MAN LAST NIGHT. CAUGHT WOOL HANDED AT THE POINT DEFIENACE PETTING ZOO. SAD THING IT WAS AFTER 11, SO I WAS IN VIOLATION OF MY WORK RELEASE PROGRAM. THEY HAVE ACCEPTED ME TO BE THERE, BUT JUST NOT AFTER 11. SO FOR THE NEXT 420 DAZE...I WILL HAVE TO BE MYSELF!!

fruit.gif

At least you don't have to start court-mandated anger management classes. madgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

Greg_W said:

erik said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

here's what would happen if it was me:

girls: Happy Canada Day!

me: Happy Canada Day!

YUP!

AND GREG I WAS BUSTED BY THE MAN LAST NIGHT. CAUGHT WOOL HANDED AT THE POINT DEFIENACE PETTING ZOO. SAD THING IT WAS AFTER 11, SO I WAS IN VIOLATION OF MY WORK RELEASE PROGRAM. THEY HAVE ACCEPTED ME TO BE THERE, BUT JUST NOT AFTER 11. SO FOR THE NEXT 420 DAZE...I WILL HAVE TO BE MYSELF!!

fruit.gif

At least you don't have to start court-mandated anger management classes. madgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

Lesson #1: No madgo_ron.gif gremlins! Sheesh, Greg, you're failing already!!!!

Teens beat us, says visitor web page

Sarah Young

The Province

About 50 teens yelling "Yankee, go home!" attacked three Americans camping in Squamish, trashed their car and set their tent on fire, the U.S. visitors said yesterday.

And to add insult to injury, the Americans say, the RCMP seemed to care little about the attack.

"The whole thing is trying to be brushed under the table," Jeremy Dahl said from his home in Ephrata, Wash.

He was camping with his friends Jay Barklay and Shannon Scott in a campground on Loggers Lane on Canada Day when the teens turned up late at night.

Dahl said the teens wished them a happy Canada Day. The Americans replied by saying "Happy Fourth of July."

Dahl said the Canadians then began swearing at them.

"They were being loud and obnoxious, but they were just kids having a good time," Dahl said.

Things soon turned even uglier.

Dahl said a couple of the teens threw rocks at their tents.

"I had gotten out to ask why they were throwing rocks at our tent and pretty much from then on it was, 'Yankees, Americans, go home,' and they pretty much came swingin' after that," Barklay told BCTV News on Global.

Then the Canadians started swinging punches. The three Americans received minor injuries.

Dahl called 911 on his cellphone.

He was still speaking to the police as the 50 or so teens yelled that they would "get those f------g Americans."

As some teens hit and kicked Barklay and Dahl, others jumped on their car, smashing the windshield, and then slashed the tires.

Dahl said three girls were laughing as they kicked in the sides of the car.

A couple of teens began slashing their tents.

Then they got a burning log -- a camp-site marker -- and threw it into the tent. The tent and their gear went up in flames.

Dahl said the teens scattered when the RCMP arrived.

Although Dahl said he pointed out some of the ringleaders, police told him nothing could be done. Dahl said police did not take statements.

Two people were later arrested for causing a disturbance. Squamish RCMP say they are still investigating.

"It was a bad experience, but we'll definitely move on," Dahl said. "We just want something done with those kids. If this is what they can do now, who knows what they'll do in the future?"

syoung@png.canwest.com

© Copyright 2003 The Province

Patriotism blamed for alleged assault web page

canada.com

Wednesday, July 09, 2003

CREDIT: Global BC

SQUAMISH -- A camping trip to B.C. by three Washington state residents turned ugly in Squamish last week when they got into a fight with a large group of partying youths.

The RCMP is only now releasing details of the incident.

They say the clash on July 2 began with verbal bantering between Canadians celebrating Canada Day and the Americans marking Independence Day.

The Mounties say the verbal exchanges escalated to physical aggression by both sides, resulting in some injuries and damage to the Americans' vehicle and tent.

According to the victims, the teens threw stones, beat and terrorized them while chanting, "Yankee go home." A local tow truck driver says their vehicle had a broken windshield and slashed tires.

Shannon Stone says the group started swearing at them, and Jay Barklay says they threatened to gang-bang the American tourists.

"I've never been through anything like this," Stone says. "Seeing a whole group of people coming after us. I thought somebody was going to get killed."

But police say their information is that the physical attacks were started by the American campers, and that one of the Americans threatened to come back with a gun.

Two people were arrested for causing a disturbance.

The American campers called the U.S. consulate, which has contacted the RCMP.

The RCMP is still investigating and charges could be laid.

© Copyright 2003 Global BC, canada.com

My_xxxth_Avatar said:

But police say their information is that the physical attacks were started by the American campers, and that one of the Americans threatened to come back with a gun.

This is such bullshit and pisses me off. This is the RCMP covering their ass by selling a bullshit story. Why would 3 climbers act aggressively towards 30+ obviously riled up people? A gun? Come on. Even if one of those guys owned a gun, I find it hard to beleive that they would run the serious risk of sneaking it into Canada. Please; this totally smacks of coverup. Moral: Never, ever trust the police to look out for you or protect you. Case law, in the U.S., supports the fact that this IS NOT their job.

This is Shannon, again, & now I have my own access. If anyone has any info. regarding the attack on my friends & me, please let me know ASAP! I also wanted to let everyone know that I spoke w/ & faxed the U.S. Attorney General today. He is fully aware of what's going on. Furthermore, Jeremy & I are supposed to have an interview w/ KOMO TV tomorrow (wednesday). We feel that it is so important to inform everyone of what's happened. I don't want anyone to have to go through what we went through. It is a frightening & horrific experience. Please pass on to your friends & family to be careful when travelling in the Squamish area. I don't know if those individuals are looking to retaliate against more Americans or not. According to the American Consolate this is a direct violent attack against Americans travelling in that region. We are dealing with the situation and as I've previously mentioned, I will keep everyone posted.

~Shannon~

i find it difficult to believe that jon ashcroft will make this a priority. but i hope the teenagers get nailed.

There is more than one U.S. Attorney General. I am speaking of the Attorney General Jim McDevitt whom I spoke with earlier this week.

Furthermore, some progress does seem to be taking place. Sst. Dougherty did call us this morning to apologize for what he said. He did not know that what he said was inaccurate.

Also, the mayor of Squamish called today saying that we would be reimbursed & wants us to come up there again. He also said that he was pursuing the investigation & wants to see it through. Thanks for those of you who supported us. I just hope that when I talk with the mayor tomorrow, he & the RCMP will begin to patrol the areas more often to ensure that ALL travelers are safe.

ShannieRose509 said:

There is more than one U.S. Attorney General. I am speaking of the Attorney General Jim McDevitt whom I spoke with earlier this week.

Furthermore, some progress does seem to be taking place. Sst. Dougherty did call us this morning to apologize for what he said. He did not know that what he said was inaccurate.

Also, the mayor of Squamish called today saying that we would be reimbursed & wants us to come up there again. He also said that he was pursuing the investigation & wants to see it through. Thanks for those of you who supported us. I just hope that when I talk with the mayor tomorrow, he & the RCMP will begin to patrol the areas more often to ensure that ALL travelers are safe.

congrats... looks like you got the best outcome you could hope for after this unfortunate incident... bigdrink.gif

Szyjakowski said:

next time reply "happy Cannabis day!" especially since it wasn't the fourth of july....

leaving paris now....off to Fontainebleau i go...then L'Alpe d'Huez, Chamonix and Austria...

This place is soo much fun and the scenery is very very nice....bigdrink.gif

Oh, sure; but do they have a Starbucks on every corner. hehehe

rolleyes.gif Yeah, and she wanted to be raped ... that's why she wears those sexy clothes. rolleyes.gif

Those Americans ...always trying to conquer other countries ...what's next Liberia? rolleyes.gif

God damn, are the local RCMP guys paid professionals or Barny Fife types? Talk about weak ass police work. A mark of corruption to the point that they believe thier own BS. shocked.gif

Canada and most all Canadians rockband.gif. These punks suck. And thier RCMP friends will do eveything they can to cover this one up and hide it....to the point of blaming the victims. madgo_ron.gif

RCMP the_finger.gif

there's another report with video at the KOMO site

So, I have to wonder.....will the kids who eventually get charged with this crime be out for revenge, despite the welcome that the greater Squamish community is extending to international outdoor recreationalists?

If the group that attacked Shannon and friends was numbered at 50, that had to be a significant number of the total number of people that age in Squamish.....it's not that big of a town.

Edited by Thinker

Dru said:

hmmm, you can drive at age 16, and why would squamish kids be in the municipal campsite and not out at a bush party somewhere, Thinker?

Well, 'Dahl says the police made no effort to arrest or detain the teens. "Cops were flat telling them just to shut up and walk home." '

If that statement is indeed true, then they are locals, and I doubt they were 13 and 14 year olds. And if I may stretch a bit, they were probably children of the dregs of society who couldn't afford cars, weren't smart enough to know how to steal one, or who simply found the municipal campground a handy place to gather....maybe with the tacit approval of the local RCMP.

In any case, the RCMP at the scene seem to have recognized the kids if they told them to shut up and walk home....just my take Dru.

Mayor calls campers to apologize

Campsite attack victims invited back to see ‘the real Squamish’

By John French

Reporter

With the District of Squamish in damage control mode, the mayor of Squamish made an important phone call to Washington State Thursday (July 10).

Mayor Ian Sutherland said during the lunch hour that he planned to contact Shannon Scott, Jay Barklay and Jeremy Dahl after The Chief’s publication deadline to apologize for the rough treatment they received while camping in Squamish earlier this month.

“I want to express our apologies for the incident,” Sutherland said. “Everyone that lives here feels bad about it. It is unfortunate that some citizens were partying too much and felt the need to do something that was incredibly stupid.”

Media reports Wednesday night left TV viewers with the feeling that the campers provoked the situation.

“No one wants to convey the message that this was their fault,” Sutherland said. He explained that police had to find out what happened so they spoke to as many people as they could. “The only way they could find out what went on was to ask everyone involved.”

The mayor said he is frustrated by the media coverage because the trouble was caused by a very small percentage of the population.

“This is not the only community that has stupid people getting drunk and causing problems,” he said. “When it happens in our community it becomes news. The actions of a silly few taint an entire town that is made up of great people.”

The mayor said that Squamish is a very warm place to visit and the victims from Washington state were invited to come back to Squamish at Squamish’s expense.

“This is a very friendly town that welcomes visitors and makes them feel welcome,” Sutherland said. To that end, Sutherland committed to exploring ways to cover damages suffered by the victims.

“We are going to look at everything caused by citizens in our community and we are going to find a way to cover those costs as best we can and as much as we are able to,” Sutherland said.

EDITORIAL: Clearing a black mark

By Tim Shoults

Reporter

We said last week that Squamish would soon be in the media spotlight.

We didn’t mean like this.

TV viewers across B.C. and the Pacific Northwest got an eyeful of Squamish at its ugliest Wednesday night with the story of three Washington state campers who celebrated Canada Day here by being beaten and having their vehicle and campsite trashed by a group of drunken local rowdies.

The victims, rather than simply telling a friend or two about their horrible experience, were media-savvy enough to take their story as wide as they could — in this case, right to the top story on BCTV and onto several Seattle-area newscasts.

We can’t blame them, either. When you go to what seems like an idyllic getaway for some rest and relaxation and come away with bruises and destroyed property, it’s instinctive to want some action — and a storm of media attention is a good way to get it.

The timing couldn’t be worse for our community. Just as the attention of the world’s media begins to focus on Vancouver and the Sea to Sky corridor, Squamish grabs the spotlight — not as the “Heart of 2010”, not as the Outdoor Recreation Capital of Canada, but as a little town between Vancouver and Whistler where tourists get beaten up.

Never mind that what happened Canada Day was the act of one small group — it’s more than enough to besmirch the reputation of an entire community. And it’s going to take a community response to counteract the negative effects. The District of Squamish is already taking the right steps with Mayor Ian Sutherland’s quick response to personally apologize to the victims of last week’s assault and inviting them back to Squamish to experience — we hope — our friendly side.

Positive things can grow from horrible stains on our community. This Sunday marks the sixth annual Squamish Triathlon — a Memorial to Bob McIntosh, a great community event which sprung from one of our community’s greatest and most public tragedies.

Let’s hope that the district, our Chamber of Commerce and our community can work together to bring benefit from this dark mark on our name.

We know they can do it.