Climbers jumped at Squamish!!!

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a report on this last night on KIRO TV. The RCMP seemed to minimize the gang "attack" issue of report, by saying one of the Americans had put one of the Canadians in a headlock.

The RCMP also quipped in with some phrase that implied the event was a enjoined equally by both parties... so if someone got hurt or things were damaged...well, that's what ya get.

Whatever happened...it just seems like a gang of 10-30 people (or as many as 60, as KIRO reported), all focused on 3 people, is a sure mix for trouble. Really sounded like the RCMP played down the whole story since the 3 Americans somewhat defended themselves.

So...whatda do when you're 3 people...with 10 to 60 people looking to create trouble for ya? Sounds like if you're in Canada...the law isn't going to support your self defense claims--or come running when ya call 911. For now...wonder if it's best to avoid Canada for awhile?? Or at least Squamish??

I say let them chew on their own dollars for awhile.

erik said:

personally i believe situational awareness can keep one out of many situations.

after reading this junk this statement of mine comes back to me. in one small way or another these 3 added to the mix, wheter it be by responding "happy 4th" or whatever they entered into the scene by establishing themselves. i am sure if they would have kept to themselves or just reponded "happy canada day" the incident would not have occured. probably speculation on my part.

know your surroundings, be cognitive to everything and everyone.

I just went up Depot Creek this past weekend, and the cars were left alone for the entire 5 days we were up there. I'm glad this thread hadn't been started before I left though, I prolly would have been a lot more freaked out about not only camping on the road, but also leaving the cars alone for 5 days! shocked.gif

BTW- whoever said that the Northeast Face of Redoubt only takes 6-11 hours was smoking crack (or climbing unroped)...

I don't understand why the need to try and shift some blame

onto the 3 washingtonians. Regardless of what words they

may have said they shouldn't have been beaten up or

threatened with a knife, or vandalized. Each side of the

story is biased but they agree in essence that it was a

one sided fight with property damage to only one party.

This thread is funny to me because it exposes the wacky ideas

that some americans have about canada. Like that it is a uniformly

peaceful safe place, or that the RCMP should be some Dudley-Do-Rights

who "always get their man" ... that is a hollywood fantasy.

... if this incident makes you stay away from Canada, well yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

erik said:

erik said:

personally i believe situational awareness can keep one out of many situations.

after reading this junk this statement of mine comes back to me. in one small way or another these 3 added to the mix, wheter it be by responding "happy 4th" or whatever they entered into the scene by establishing themselves. i am sure if they would have kept to themselves or just reponded "happy canada day" the incident would not have occured. probably speculation on my part.

know your surroundings, be cognitive to everything and everyone.

Oh bullshit. When I read their response I saw it as a gesture of international comraderie. It's like if a Jew in New York said to you Happy Hanukah! and you replied Merry Chistmas! and the Jew got some friends and beat you for it. It's a gesture of cross-cultural empathy, not an inciteful comment. The stupid, drunk teenagers are the ones who were too irrational to stop and see it that way.

Erik & Fern,

Couldn't agree more with you both...

Just thinking climbing and adventuring ought to be fun... without the additional baggage of "incidents" involving large numbers of people. Could and has happened elsewhere...just wish is wasn't happening to climbers in a cool place.

Avoid Squamish/Canada, no. Get upset when someone gets mistreated like they were in this incident, yes. Hope it doesn't happen again, most definately.

fern said:

...the RCMP should be some Dudley-Do-Rights

Oh, Fern, you're bursting bubbles here. They all have cleft chins, though, right? Bwahahahaha!!.

On another note, that is total bullshit that the RCMP totally downplays the incident and implicates some shit on the Americans involved. Fucking sick.

I don't know Canada law, but can't you file assault charges on all of those involved so many or all serve some jail time, fines or some sort of retribution is served?confused.gif I would hope that RCMP took the names down of at least the 15 that were held and then released.

erik said:

I AM NOT COMMENTING ON THE COMMENT ITSELF JUST THE ACTION. YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF WHO IS AROUND YOU IS MY POINT. KNOW YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

I'm trying to imagine what you would say to a couple of local girls saying "Happy Canada Day" to you in a campground the_finger.gif

Greg_W said:

fern said:

...the RCMP should be some Dudley-Do-Rights

Oh, Fern, you're bursting bubbles here. They all have cleft chins, though, right? Bwahahahaha!!.

On another note, that is total bullshit that the RCMP totally downplays the incident and implicates some shit on the Americans involved. Fucking sick.

It's a fucking RCMPisshead coverup. Business as usual. thumbs_down.gif

Figger_Eight said:

erik said:

I AM NOT COMMENTING ON THE COMMENT ITSELF JUST THE ACTION. YOU SHOULD BE AWARE OF WHO IS AROUND YOU IS MY POINT. KNOW YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND ACT ACCORDINGLY.

I'm trying to imagine what you would say to a couple of local girls saying "Happy Canada Day" to you in a campground the_finger.gif

Canadian Chics: "Happy Canada DAy, eh."

Erik: "Greetings, ladies. Do any of you know if there is a petting zoo or sheep farm in the vacinity?"

An 'isolated incident' or the tip of the iceberg?

Our RCMP buddy Cliff Doherty shows up in Google a few times:

http://www.ctcsquamish.com/fordean.pdf

Sea to Sky Directory of Services July 23, 2002

19.3 ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE - SQUAMISH

DETACHMENT

40439 Tantalus Way

Box 1880

Squamish, B.C.

V0N 3G0

Phone: 604-898-9611 Fax: 604-898-4712

24 Hour Emergency Response Phone: 911

Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Crime Prevention Co-ordinator: Constable Patricia Lussier

Services:

1. Blockwatch is a program designed to reduce residential break-ins. It provides information to home owners on home security, about calling the police, and observing and reporting suspicious activities.

2. Block Parents is a program designed to assist in the safety of

children in the community. A Block Parent sign is displayed in the homes of volunteers (who have been screened by the police) to let children in distress know that someone is available to provide help. Block Parent Co-ordinator: Carmen Leroux. Phone: 892-3359.

3. DARE-Program Coordinator: Constable Patricia Lussier.

4. Gang/Youth Contact Line provides a telephone service allowing everyone to get involved in the stand against youth and gang violence. Examples of calls include: to report potentially violent situations (i.e. possession of weapons); for assistance or information about dealing with gang related problems; and to report information about a criminal offense. All calls are confidential. The 24 hour line has an answering machine only, leave name and number and a youth officer responds to the message. Phone: 1-800-680-GANG

4. Victim Services is a community based program dedicated to

assisting victims and witnesses of crime. Under the direction of a police officer, this program is staffed by civilian personnel and volunteer support. The staff are trained and skilled in dealing with matters of criminal victimization/trauma. Victim Services Coordinator: Cathy Lamoureux; Assistant Coordinator: Glen Watson Phone: 898-1572. Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with 24 hour call out.

e-mail address: victim@sea-to-sky.net

web page: http://sea-to-sky.net/victim

Ursa_Eagle said:

here's what would happen if it was me:

girls: Happy Canada Day!

me: Happy Canada Day!

YUP!

AND GREG I WAS BUSTED BY THE MAN LAST NIGHT. CAUGHT WOOL HANDED AT THE POINT DEFIENACE PETTING ZOO. SAD THING IT WAS AFTER 11, SO I WAS IN VIOLATION OF MY WORK RELEASE PROGRAM. THEY HAVE ACCEPTED ME TO BE THERE, BUT JUST NOT AFTER 11. SO FOR THE NEXT 420 DAZE...I WILL HAVE TO BE MYSELF!!

fruit.gif