Climbers jumped at Squamish!!!

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

y'all see that crap on KING5 news? R.C.M.P. fool was a tool... question fo the group... did you guys say that you were gonna come back with a gun or something? either way, not a reason to jump someone with 20+ other people... cowardice for sure... just curious if what the Po-Po is saying is true...

U.S. campers attacked in Canada

07/09/2003

By ERIC WILKINSON / KING 5 News

SQUAMISH, B.C.

A group of Washington campers was attacked and terrorized in British Columbia by at least 20 Canadian teenagers who burned a tent, beat a camper, and threatened others with a knife; all while shouting anti-American slurs.

The incidence happened July 1 at a campsite of a popular climbing area in Squamish, B.C.; 30 miles north of Vancouver.

The teenagers were there celebrating Canada Day, going on a drunken rampage and attacking three American campers.

"I thought someone was gonna get killed or hurt pretty badly,"; said camper Shannon Scott. "I was hysterical. I'm still shaky thinking about it."

Squamish is a popular rock-climbing destination.

The Americans told Canadian authorities they were pelted with rocks, their tent was torn apart and sleeping bags set on fire. One camper was apparently even chased by a young man wielding a large knife.

Kennewick firefighter Jay Barkley says his car windows were smashed, tires slashed and he was beaten unconscious.

The campers from Ephrata and the Tri-Cities say it all apparently started with some verbal jousting over Canada Day versus Fourth of July that got way out of hand.

Meanwhile Canadian authorities are investigating reports that the Americans may have provoked the attack.

"One of the U.S. citizens said the next time he comes back to Canada he's gonna bring a gun, and when you say statements like that it does nothing to calm the situation. It only fuels the situation," said Cliff Doherty, Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The Americans say they don't want to make this an anti-Canada issue. In fact, they say, everyone else they dealt with there was very helpful and apologetic, even giving them free rides and discounts on hotels.

The mayor of Squamish calls this an isolated incident. "

The campers from Ephrata and the Tri-Cities say it all apparently started with some verbal jousting over Canada Day versus Fourth of July that got way out of hand.

Meanwhile Canadian authorities are investigating reports that the Americans may have provoked the attack.

yeah, you insult Canada and say your stupid 4th of July is better, you get what comes to you rolleyes.gif

boxing_smiley.gif

I'm interested in what these American folks said. They say they were just getting ready for bed, but maybe they thought they would have a debate with some slack jawed jokels over Canada Day vs 4th of July.

I submit that trying to have a logical debate with drunk, slack jawed jokels is a bad idea no matter what country the jokels come from.

AlpineK said:

I'm interested in what these American folks said. They say they were just getting ready for bed, but maybe they thought they would have a debate with some slack jawed jokels over Canada Day vs 4th of July.

I submit that trying to have a logical debate with drunk, slack jawed jokels is a bad idea no matter what country the jokels come from.

Actually, in the first report it said they were asleep in their tents.

Yes they did say that however:

"One of the U.S. citizens said the next time he comes back to Canada he's gonna bring a gun, and when you say statements like that it does nothing to calm the situation. It only fuels the situation," said Cliff Doherty, Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Now maybe they were asleep in their tent, or maybe they were getting ready to go to sleep and started talking to drunk Canadian teens. I really don't know.

One thing I do know is that it's human nature to make exaggerations; especially when it makes you look more innocent.

I have no idea whatsoever what happened.

I do know that in a perfect world you shouldn't have your stuff burned and your friends threatened no matter what you say.

Edited by AlpineK

AlpineK said:

Yes they did say that however:

Now maybe they were asleep in their tent, or maybe they were getting ready to go to sleep and started talking to drunk Canadian teens. I really don't know.

One thing I do know is that it's human nature to make exaggerations; especially when it makes you look more innocent.

I have no idea whatsoever what happened.

I do know that in a perfect world you shouldn't have your stuff burned and your friends threaghtened no matter what you say.

what i wanna know is, who said that? i dont think the americans would have said that. so then who said it? obviously someone there... so the R.C.M.P. must knwo someone else that either beat them up or witnessed the event... curious indeed... wazzup.gif

Maybe we should apply the usual explanation for violence against gays here, in which case the reason for the attacks was the attacker's violent response to their own persistent attraction to America, and their deep seated fear that underneath all of their Canadian bluster, they are actually American....

Seriously though. This sucks. It's too bad it happened, but I'm glad that no one got seriously killed or hurt up there. I also think that the RCMP dude they quoted is a complete idiot, as his comments are tantamount to accusing the Americans of violating a well-known standard of getting-savagely-beaten-by-an-angry-mob etiquette and decorum. Anyone who's ever been on the receiving end of such a thing knows how unreasonable it is to expect someone getting jacked while hopelessly outnumbered to express anything but blind rage while it is happening.

I also think that this could just have easily have happened on this side of the border, so pinning this incident on any failing unique to Canada is an out and out crock.

Fence_Sitter said:

snoboy said:

40 - 50, then 30+, now "at least 20"

Not making excuses for idiots, just making an observation... wave.gif

original post said

20 - 30 young Canadians

Must be a different thread your are referring to.

they were attacked by a group of 20 - 30 young Canadians, shouting anti- American slurs.
The group left and then returned with around 20 more people.

wave.gif

Whoa there everyone! First of all, I'll repeat myself AGAIN... there were 30+ teenagers there. I've always said that. When the RCMP told another person how many were there, he "estimated" 40. Secondally, the comment the RCMP said on King5 was COMPLETELY INACCURATE & OUT OF CONTEXT. What Jeremy did say was, "I guess when you come to Canada you gotta' bring a gun." Jeremy was extremely HEATED at this time. mad.gifThe reason this was said, was because the 15 or so Canadians that were sitting there (directly after the incident) next to the RCMPs were told to head home. They were not held for questioning or anything further. So at that time, Jeremy made the comment previously stated. He NEVER said that he was going to bring a gun. Immediately after the King5 report, we did call the RCMP & told them that the statement was innacurate & inappropriate. Furthermore, WE DID NOT INSTIGATE ANYTHING AT ALL. The only comment that was made, was "Happy 4th of July." This was a nice comment in response to a couple of Canadian girls saying, "Happy Canada Day." Just after that, the girls replied, "Fuck you you fucking Americans", and so on. Those were the only words that we said to them, until the harrassment and violence against us began several hours later. I feel the comments about us starting the violence are slanderous! I am a teacher and I pride myself on teaching my students to solve their problems in non-violent ways. I do practice what I preach. I have never been in a fight, I have never instigated a fight, nor have I ever been around anyone who has. The 3 of us are not ignorant enough to "start" something with 30+ drunk teens. I was asleep for 1 hour before the rocks were even thrown at our tent. Jeremy and Jason were also getting ready for bed. As a matter of fact, Jeremy was even in his sleeping bag. We had no reason to say anything to that group of teens. Komo News interviewed us today. They are going to Squamish tomorrow to follow-up on some information & research. They have filmed our tent & sleeping bags. We do not have pictures of the car, but feel free to contact the Auto body company or the towing company to hear how bad the car was. mad.gif

snoboy said:

Fence_Sitter said:

snoboy said:

40 - 50, then 30+, now "at least 20"

Not making excuses for idiots, just making an observation... wave.gif

original post said

20 - 30 young Canadians

Must be a different thread your are referring to.

they were attacked by a group of 20 - 30 young Canadians, shouting anti- American slurs.
The group left and then returned with around 20 more people.

wave.gif

Upon exiting the tent, they found themselves among 10? or so individuals calling them !&*#$! Americans, $#!*& Yankees, etc. and were told to go back to America where they belong. As the tension heightened, Jeremy called 911. The group left and then returned with around 20 more people.

out of context champ rolleyes.gifwave.gif

10+20= 30 rolleyes.gif or did i forget the exchange rate?

"20-30" was the total...