Climbers jumped at Squamish!!!

Jarred_Jackman

This is a writing that I received via my friends sister in law. They went to Squamish to climb and apparently found alot more than they bargained for. Watch out in thie area as the cops do not seem to be simpathetic. This totally sucks and makes you want to kick the shit out of people who fuck with you stuff and yourself!!!

"My brother-in-law, Jeremy Dahl, of Ephrata, WA, is traveling in Canada this week on vacation with his girlfriend and another good friend. They are on vacation to climb, camp, mountain bike, etc. While camping in a local park, they were attacked by a group of 20 - 30 young Canadians, shouting anti-American slurs. While sleeping in their tent, they awoke to find rocks being thrown. Upon exiting the tent, they found themselves among 10? or so individuals calling them !&*#$! Americans, $#!*& Yankees, etc. and were told to go back to America where they belong. As the tension heightened, Jeremy called 911. The group left and then returned with around 20 more people. Jeremy threw the phone to his girlfriend, Shannon Scott (a Quincy, WA teacher and a native of Spokane, WA) and told her to run into the woods and call 911 again. Meanwhile 5 guys jumped his friend, Jay Barkley, (Currently a EMT/Firefighter for Tri-Cities), while another came after Jeremy with a knife. During the struggle, the rest of the group smashed the windows, headlights, mirrors, etc. on Jay's car parked at the camp site. They then slashed the tires on the vehicle and damaged the tires on the mountain bikes on the top of the vehicle. They threw burning logs on the tent, which burned to the ground with their belongings inside. Thankfully, the three escaped physically unscathed, with exception to Jay who has pains in his jaw and a headache. The group scattered upon the arrival of the Canadian police. The police told Jeremy there was not a lot they could do as they attackers had left. Jeremy told them where he thought the attackers were hiding in the woods, then proceeded to drag three of them out to the police. The police cited two of the individuals for alcohol violations, but nothing else. It was "chalked up" to be a runover celebration of "Canada Day." Jeremy then pointed out another individual involved in the attack who was walking nearby, but the police told him there was not a lot they could do. No one was taken into custody for the acts of violence against these three Americans, the vandalism to the car, nor the burning of their tent.

The three of them were put up in a motel in Squamish, Canada. They had to move to another motel today as the other was full. They are working on repairing Jay's car. Because of the lack of concern for their safety, they contacted the American Consulate and met with him and the Canadian Consulate. The Canadian Consulate was not interested in their dilemma.

They have decided to remain for the rest of their vacation and are on their way to Whistler. He is not aware that I have contacted you regarding this matter. I thought maybe any publicity about the incident might help with prosecuting these individuals."

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarred,

How about an address and a name for us to write to, expressing our concern over the safety of American climbers in the Squamish area?? Would be cool to have the US consulate's name and address too, for a cc. Might be a good idea to also cc the Amercian Alpine Club too, to heighten their awareness. Anyone know a writer at the Seattle Times to cc as well? How about the board of directors up at Whistler??

I'll certainly write a letter regarding this. Although I haven't climbed in Squamish for a number of years, it's a place I've always wanted to return to. Any efforts on our behalf to say we're a concerned segment of the population who deserves equal and fair protection under the law would be meaningful. Might also be helpful to mention that we contribute to the Squamish/Whistler local economy through our climbing, skiiing and biking interests.

It's such a shame that the locals there are taking things so personal...

I know someone who works at the Seattle Times. Jarred - maybe you could PM me with some of their contact information and I'll check and see if this person thinks that anyone is interested in following up on this story.

That is a horrific story. I thought it was a joke at first...

I would like to say that I had a very GOOD interaction w/ the Squamish police. Last year a bunch of shit got stolen out of the trunk of my car while climbing on the Apron. Most of it belonged to my GF. We filed a police report (not really expecting anything) about a week later, we get a call, they found our stuff and mailed it back to us (they paid about $40USD postage!).

Yeah Squamish Police!

Sorry to hear about this incident though, seems very out of character for the Canadians I've met. I bet Dru was the ringleader. tongue.gif

they found themselves among 10? or so individuals calling them !&*#$! Americans, $#!*& Yankees, etc.

Hmmm...maybe they have a problem with US foreign policy and take the position that US policy is too violent and forces US will on others around the world...so in order to counter it they attack defenseless Americans, using violence and trying to force their position on others... rolleyes.gif Real peacenicks.

This isn’t Canadians, and its not Canada. . ..it’s a bunch of assholes.

madgo_ron.gifthumbs_down.gif

thats really too bad. lets hope this is an isolated incident, but indeed it should be brought up/followed up with local authorities. definately not a way to treat visitors when the "games" are in town either.

i mean down here at smiff, we a harass seattle folks, but not that bad hahaha.gif

Jarrod send an email here let htem know about the thread and ask what they think?

Although i have not been on Canada for about 7 years (and then it was the Rockies) I have only had good dealings with businessmen, climbers, the police and other authorities.

By the way I was once "jumped" near the Feather Rivcer Domes in Nor Cal and when the police became involved they joined in the fun and harrassed us for several hours before (and I kid you not) giving us a timeline as in a few minutes to get out of town!

Well, I'll tell ya how us red neck hill folk would handle this. No guns allowed in Canada but rocks in socks is a good weapon and if yor serious a good old hand saw like the old time carpenter used. It'll remove a hand, elbow and if yer not careful where yer swinging that thing a head could roll on by.

But I imagine all you pretty boys will want to go the PC way and ask for forgiveness in being an American. I don't know how the fellas feel that this happened to but I would be very pissed and lookin fer revenge like a big dog. Just my West Virgina two cents. JD

Sadly this is not an isolated incident. In April, Steve House and I were climbing around the Columbia icefield area and met some US climbers (with Wa plates)when we stopped at Saskatchewan Crossing for gas. These guys had their car badly vandalized while they were ice climbing. All their tires were slashed, and as I recall ,some other damage too. They had to get a tow truck to take it all the way to Canmore (about a 2.5 hour drive one way and several hundred$$$s). The Mounties were super nice and the folks in Canmore were embarassed. The tire guy gave them a big discount and some locals took a up a collection for the poor unfortunates. Steve and I prompty bought a silly Canadian flag sticker for his car and hoped for the best. Another friend (with Wa plates)was ski touring with his 10 year old son from the trailhead north of Sqam near Garibaldi Park. When he came back all the windows were broken out of his car, even the windshield. All the perps took was pair of ratty Bball shoes belonging to his son!! Regardless of your feelings about American foreign policy this is all about the same sort of ignorance and mindless violence that has taken over in Northern Ireland, Palestine, Rwanda, etc, etc.....and has no place in a society where we have had the benefit of a liberal (and I mean this in its classsical/historical sense) education. I guess those same folks who have commited these random acts of violence would have fit right into the white hooded crowd in Selma in 1963. Life is too short to have to deal with this kind of knucklehead.

I'm drunk now, but hell. If you are really worried, steal some canadian plates off an abandoned vehicle (there's tons of them up there) and install them before you park in the backcountry. Then you can keep 'em for your next trip. Vandals usually don't check tabs, and the RCMP doesn't go that far out of the way, at last check bigdrink.gif

MisterE said:Vandals usually don't check tabs, and the RCMP doesn't go that far out of the way, at last check bigdrink.gif

Actually the RCMP do go up to the parking lots in question, where there is a vandalism/theft problem.

Solution? DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR!!

It sucks, but stories like scott johnson's from Garabaldi Park do happen here. frown.gif The best I can say is it probably had nothing to do with the WA plates on your car.

As for the story in the initial post? I don't know anything of this. I would be suprised if it had happened, and there was no stories of it floating around town by now. How about some more details, Jarred? Especially what campground it happened in?

40-50 people is a pretty big gang. Are you sure of that number? And a friend's sister in-law's, brother in-law... Has all the makings of an urban legend.

Could it be dru tired of the crowds at Squamish, trying to scare some traffic away? evils3d.gifevils3d.gif

unfortunately vandalism and theft happen everywhere, canada, us, europe, and developing countries. garibaldi park n of squamish is no exception. i have also heard of people having gear stolen in the us out of parked cars.

by the same token i have been a recipient of and hospitality everywhere i've travelled.

in short theft and vandalism is not a canadian problem, nor is hospitality exclusive to americans.

re the authenticity of the story: squamish is a small town. if it were true i suspect it would have made the local news, not to mention vancouver's press. so i doubt it's true. groups of rowdies in squish have been known to attack campers but i've never heard of an indiscriminate attack as was described.

come on up and don't forget to bring the sun with you!