Where are the GREATS???

Rodchester

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Never try to beat a dick in a pissing contest"

Senecca? Confucious? Or that kid Chuckie from Mrs. Emery's class who ate lots of playdough. Sage words whatever the source.

However if you must reply AlpineK's got it right. Be a man, say what you've got to say, and take the the heat. rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: JayB ]

DRU:

"What's up with that lurking behind an alias comment anyways - is your name really "RODCHESTER" or is that some sort of nickname??? .... I mean c'mon what type of weak BS is that?"

Are you serious? Ask Capt. caveman, ask AlpineK, etc., etc., Its a screen name...never said or even implied that it wasn't. Not sure I get your point. oh oh oh is DRU REALLY your name??? No Dru I don't care if it is or isn't.

"Here is some anonymous person who doesn't even want to post to this bbs but gets you to post a message they send you"

Airplane sound here....

Dru, the indivdual that sent me that e-mail, one of many from others, did not direct me to or ask me to post anything. I put it forth as a demonstration of what is being said off site avbout the site. I thought some might find it constaructive. If you missed the context, you missed the context.

"ANONYMOUS POSTER - IF YOU READ THIS - WHICH YOU APPARENTLY WILL CAUSE YOU APPARENTLY LURK HERE ALL THE TIME TO SEE A THREAD THAT HAS ONLY BEEN AROUND FOR A FEW DAYS - WHY DONT YOU PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH????"

Dru he/she is doing exactly that. Remember "I feel guilty just through association with this website." so they stay away. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

People don't like all the crapo that is being flung around. So in response you fling more.

Regarding me perpetuating it, there is an element of truth there. And I am sorry but I just cannot accept the bullshit bashing. Sorry I just think the board should be hospitalble for all climbers. frown.gif" border="0

here is my solution - only let people post if they include a scanned image of their drivers license, credit card, and house key as an image file in their signature. no anonymous posts then!

rodchester - you seem big on missing contexts lately because you keep blowing it with self-contradictory statements like "No great climbers post on cc.com" or "My anonymous friend doesn't like anonymous postings" and then not noticing the self-contradiction til someone rips you on it then trying to cover your ass. my advice to you, baby, is a) LET IT DIE!!! or b) throw in some references to Dan Larson, Muir Hut, shitting your gore-tex, the Tooth, and bolts on DDD, and the Mountaineers - that will get us to 20 pages pretty quick, and that's what you want, right?

PS next time hit the "edit" key instead of posting the same message twice. rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

DRU:

The context of the post did not mean that NO greats EVER post here, but simply that given the amount of greats in the PNW, few actually do. Sorry if you didn't pick up on that context. I will try to be more clear next time.

Again, it is not just the greats not being here that concerns me. Too many weekend climber types avoid the site as well.

Additionally, the quote was not from a friend. It was, as were most all of the others, from a person I do not even know. Could't tell them from you.

On letting it die, thanks for the advice. But no way I am going to let people just bash others with no basis, friend or not. Just not in MY climbers ethic. Sure have fun, but it sqaunders too much of the potential for this site.

Actually, Dru where is my self-contradiction? confused.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Rodchester:
People don't like all the crapo that is being flung around. So in response you fling more.

Regarding me perpetuating it, there is an element of truth there. And I am sorry but I just cannot accept the bullshit bashing. Sorry I just think the board should be hospitalble for all climbers.
frown.gif" border="0

"People don't like..."? That's a sweeping generalization. Some people like it, some don't and quite a few (like myself) are indifferent to a lot said here. I'm not big on bashing people either. I kind of subscribe to the Karma thing and when I am bashing someone it's usually indicative of my own state of contentment or lack thereof. I'm not fond of the mindset that some subscribe to that involves trying to change the environment to their liking. Usually people trying to control there environment in this manner are continually discontent since others typically will not respond to string pulling.

So for instance some lady call me a "punk" standing in line at the grocery store. Do I lecture her on her rudeness? Kick the shit out of her? Make some snide remark and walk away relativley unfazed? I don't know..there are an infinite number of ways to deal with this. I may not agree with some of the things that are said on this board but the last thing I would want is to have some type of "PC Censor" to make sure that nobody is offended. I really appreciate and gravitate towards people who are honest and say what they are thinking instead of people who are always worried about what they say or try to tell me what I should and should not say. Why do you give a shit Rodchester about what anybody says about a friend of yours? You know what is true and what is not right? People are going to say and think what they want, there's no controlling that eh?

quote:

DRU:

The context of the post did not mean that NO greats EVER post here, but simply that given the amount of greats in the PNW, few actually do. Sorry if you didn't pick up on that context

Now from the first post Rod made:

This site has become well known by many climbers in the PNW. But for some reason the greats never seem to post on this site.

Does anyone know or wonder why no great climbers post on this page?

He then says:

Actually, Dru where is my self-contradiction?
confused.gif" border="0

So - Rod said No Great Climbers ever post here. Then when told they did he said that he never said what he said.... confused.gif" border="0

But see, Rod has an agenda. He will quote from anonymous personal email sent to him to bolster his point or mention his friendship with Carlos Buhler or any other dirty tactic but not cough up and admit that his original point was made not as an honest question but rather as a sneaky lead in to his concern about the spray on this site. Oh well [sleep]

PS If Rachel Babkirk and Christine Boskoff came upon Dan Larson smoking a bowl with Fred Beckey in Muir Hut, how many bolts would get placed on Dan's Dreadful Direct to compensate? Answers by 4:20, class.

Jim:

I didn't mean all people on the site, so I correct that. I mean there are some people that do not like it.

You said:

"the last thing I would want is to have some type of "PC Censor" to make sure that nobody is offended. I really appreciate and gravitate towards people who are honest and say what they are thinking instead of people who are always worried about what they say or try to tell me what I should and should not say."

That is my point. I like the honesty thing and that is one thing I am going after. When someone smears some one without any basis what so ever, that is not honesty. So I am being honest and calling bullshit.

I couldn't agree more with you on the "PC Censor" thing. That is why I am directly calling bullshit on it. Not seeking to supress anything that is true.

You said:

"Why do you give a shit Rodchester about what anybody says about a friend of yours? You know what is true and what is not right? People are going to say and think what they want, there's no controlling that eh?"

I give a shit because she is a friend. And even if she wasn't I would stand up to the bullshit. You speak about honesty...well that is exactly my point and that is exactly why I am standing up.

No controlling that? Sure, free speech. But I won't be controlled either. Lies will propagate further lies and soon the lies will become the reality, at least in the minds of those who do not know the truth.

Jim I would do the same for you if it was the truth. No, I am not trying to be some crusadrer.

DRU:

That was exactly my point. Sorry you take things soooo literally. confused.gif" border="0

I was trying to raise the issue. Sorry you don't like the fact that I am receiving e-mails from these that agree but do not want to participate and that I used it to demonstrate a point.

You have discovered my evil agenda. Next I will conquer the world. wink.gif" border="0

I have been burned by you DRU. You have shown me my self-contradiction. I am shamed. shocked.gif" border="0

Gosh, now you may find out that I am actually one Montgomery Burns of Sprinfield. rolleyes.gif" border="0 I am not Rodchester the molester. rolleyes.gif" border="0

I am not concerned with spray. AS I HAVE SAID SINCE THIS BEGAN THIS IS NOT ABOUT THAT. IT IS ABOUT THE BASELESS LIES.

If accusing someone of killing thier spouse is spray then I guess you are right.

(I know it wasn't you DRU. I know you are a sprayer and that is cool). cool.gif" border="0

Next time you want to harsh on those who lie on this site maybe you should get right to it instead of coming out with sonme pseudo-ingenuous question wondering where the great climbers are then. I mean, I once said to Lynn Hill, at our wedding, "Honey, do you think its 4;20 yet?" and she said "Move along, there are 350 more people waiting for me to sign these posters..." Um, where was I anyways? Oh yeah, Tooth Muir blah blah beer Vantage bolts spray spray Big Lou. [sleep][sleep][sleep][sleep]

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

So - Rod said No Great Climbers ever post here. Then when told they did he said that he never said what he said....
confused.gif" border="0

But see, Rod has an agenda. He will quote from anonymous personal email sent to him to bolster his point or mention his friendship with Carlos Buhler or any other dirty tactic but not cough up and admit that his original point was made not as an honest question but rather as a sneaky lead in to his concern about the spray on this site. Oh well
[sleep]

PS If Rachel Babkirk and Christine Boskoff came upon Dan Larson smoking a bowl with Fred Beckey in Muir Hut, how many bolts would get placed on Dan's Dreadful Direct to compensate? Answers by 4:20, class.

Dru you forgot to include the part about RURP being there and shitting his goretex suit in the Muir hut. rolleyes.gif" border="0

DRU:

As I stated earlier, that was what actually happened and I think it directly hit on what W was saying about the well known climbers being to busy and what others were saying about them as well. (Or somethign along those lines).

The point is that they would particpate if there wasn't so much BS. That is why the statement was made and I'll make it again. I don't care if you call it name dropping. If the greats are the topic, do you think I shouldn't mention them? The setting was also a clear point. We were doing regular stuff people do.

Sorry this complicated concept is lost on you. wink.gif" border="0

And DRU, I guess when you dropped names about who does post here, since it was to counter my position it wasn't really name dropping.

This one time I was at bad camp....

[big Drink]

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: Rodchester ]

quote:

This is an excerpt from a private e-mail meessage I received.

I feel guilty just through association with this website.

Guilt by association works for some very high-class types like Mark Twain who was going to have us all drowned when he got to the higher authorities. For more run-of-the-mill types like me, it doesn't work. Just because some humans eat babies or steal books from the library doesn't mean I do. I do worry some about being infected by the evil thoughts of others on this site, but learning that Jim Nelson may be around makes it worth the risk. Thanks, Dru.

Dear Rowdy Roddy Rodchester, and Mr. Dru (from the inferior country to my immediate north),

It would appear that you gentlemen need a little Oprah in your lives. Is there any limit to the pollution that you have found necessary to present in this public forum? This evening I was bored, so I logged in for useful information on ice conditions and lofty ethical discussions, only to read what amounts to electronic hair pulling and eyeball scratching. Maybe you guys should swap insults through PM's, or maybe you should show up at pub-club for a mud wrestle (be sure to wear you thong). I was bored; now I'm irritated. Not sure my condition has improved.

I agree that some of the insulting language and insinuations found in the Boskoff thread is an embarassment to the more dignified and sophisticated element on this bulletin board. The authors of this trash will have no shortage of regrets someday, assuming (and hoping) their maturation is currently incomplete. Rather than conspiring to help each other grow up, I think we degrade ourselves with such conduct.

Rodchester wrote:

How pissed would you be if your spouse died and some jackass on this site said that you were the cause of or at least contributed to your spouses death?

Same general order of magnitude as when someone suggested my friend was responsible for her husband turning gay, in a different climbing forum. The flamefest that ensued followed the same script as this one is, repetion of the same point on one side, and digression and trivial semantics on the other side.

Best advice: Don't try to change a website. State your point once, clearly, and then ignore the resultant drivel. If a given website, taken as is, brings you more or less of a given quality than makes you happy, exercise the alternatives.

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: jeffers ]

JayB,

I know what you're trying to do here....trying to get me to engage in some of the petty squabling I've just condemned, trying to get me to degrade myself by trading insults with you in some kind of emotional bolting row. But I won't do it......YOU PIECE OF SHIT!

Just kiddding. Good night.

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
JayB,

I know what you're trying to do here....trying to get me to engage in some of the petty squabling I've just condemned, trying to get me to degrade myself by trading insults with you in some kind of emotional bolting row. But I won't do it......YOU PIECE OF SHIT!

Just kiddding. Good night.

[laf][laf][laf]

That was pretty good. Just checking to see if you were paying attention. But hey, I'm not such a bad guy! We're not so different, you and I - we must have something in common. Hmmmm....(stroking chin)....I wore WWII era wool pants for a long time before converting to Schoeller. I may even go back to them after hearing about the heroic knee-paste maneuver that they made possible.

Actually, I just plugged in the word "Bolting" into the search function and dredged-up some of the old threads on the subject. After reading through all of your posts there I couldn't resist throwing that in. smile.gif" border="0

Good Night Yourself,