Cord Cutting/Melting?

PaulB

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about spectra?

I just slung a bunch of hexes with it and cant tell you how much it sucked.

Okay...it sucked sooooooo much that the thought of cutting and burning the tails on the fishermens knot makes me want to pull it all out and start over with a different kind of cord.

Yes, I know there needs to be a good tail with spectra...unfortunately I had a great deal of difficulty tying the knot because of the stiffness....thus extra long tails which need to be cut.

PaulB said:

Anyone have a good technique for cutting accessory cord that doesn't result in a big lump of melted nylon on the end? Has anyone built a home version of the little electric device they have in the shops?

A pretty good way to do it is to use a cig. lighter held about 1-2 inches away from the point where you want to cut the cord. Rotate the cord so the heat from the flame uniformly melts/glazes the sheath. You want to apply only enough heat to hold the sheath together after you cut it, so dont burn through the sheath or char the whole thing black.

Once you have melted about 3/4" of the cord (completely around its circumfrence) slice it in the center of the melted bit with a SHARP knife against a piece of wood (for anything over 9mm) or with a sharp pair of scissors for anything smaller. Then use your lighter to fuse the "butt" end together, and to fuse it to the already melted sheath. Wet your fingers and quickly/lightly shape the semi-molten ball of nylon into a smooth slightly rounded tip. The finished product should have a melted sheath for the last 1/2-3/4", well fused to the melted core.

For those lamenting the cutting of Spectra/Kevlar cord, use the same process as above except:

-use coxial cable cutters to cut the cord after melting the sheath

-once the cord is parted, gently work the (cooled) glazed sheath back to expose about 1/2" of the core. Use the above cutters (or a razor knife) to trim off 3/8" of the core

-work the (now) extra-long sheath back over the shortened core, making sure to eliminate as much slack as possible from the sheath. Then fuse the sheath into a smooth, bullet-shaped point that is easy to thread through a hex.

Cheers bigdrink.gif

Shawn

PaulB said:

Anyone have a good technique for cutting accessory cord that doesn't result in a big lump of melted nylon on the end? Has anyone built a home version of the little electric device they have in the shops?

Heat a razor blade on the stove (hold it in a hemostat). Cuts through the taped cord quick and easy (even Spectra!)

I do like Greg W and mattp do, except be sure to lick your fingertips before you touch the melted nylon, or it will stick to your skin and burn the crap outta your fingertips. Work quickly after removing the heat source. 'Nuff said on this.

PaulB said:

Yes. While working at NASA I spent six months and $10million developing a device like this that would work in zero-G and a perfect vacuum. I got given a version of the tool as a leaving present. It now occupies one half of my garage but is very useful for the odd occasion when I cut rope, say once a month.

Seriously now... Waaay too much thought being expended on this one. Just use a knife and cigarette lighter as described.