Any WA Peak unattainable w/in 24hrs?

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pencil_Pusher said:

I think all peaks within WA can be reached within 24hrs from the trailhead. Correct me with their names, if you think I'm wrong. wazzup.gif

What's your definition of 24 hours? There aren't that many places in the world that aren't a 24 hour run from the trailhead!

cj001f said:

There aren't that many places in the world that aren't a 24 hour run from the trailhead!

...just most of Canada and Russia and oh, most places in the world outside the USA, populated parts of Asia and Europe.... rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Hey, no spoiling the cool subject smirk.gif

Which peaks in WA will the alpine ninjas not be able to climb and return from within a 24 hour window.

Methinks the technical summits in the Pickets fit the bill... Challenger and Luna are the easiest in the N Pickets, I wouldn't like to try those in 24 hours. Ugh the pain.

Hozomeen? Haven't been

Stuff in the Cathedral/Monk/Ambitheatre group in the Pasayten? Haven't been

Come on, pipe up! No Canada/Russia/blahblah, there isn't any interesting climbing there anyway.

I agree with you on the Twin Spires. That would be tough.

I like Beckey's Depot Creek approach: "Where rock is slippery from spray, climb over wet boulders to a platform at the waterfall's base, then go to its left side. A hole in berry bushes leads to a talus slope." mushsmile.gif

??? I looks like a RT Cathedral could be done in a day, if a good pace was maintained via Wall Creek. 8 hours to lakes, 1.5 to summit, 1.5 back to lakes 7 back to car. May depend on trail conditions. ???

So is this car to summit in 24hrs or car to car in 24hrs?

Out of the most remote areas in Washington the northern Pasayten Wilderness and the Pickets seem to be the furthest from civilization.

Pasayten-

The Cathedral/Monk group you could definitely climb car to summit in a day. ~20-25 miles (10hrs hiking, 3+ hours climbing)

Pickets-

The SE Glacier of Fury I am certain can be climbed car to summit in a day also, particuarly if you had a boat ride to Big Beaver Creek. Challenger is a bit further in by trail if I remember right so I think it would be a longer day, but probably still could climbed in a day from Hannegan.

With that, if you were climbing with 16-17 hours of light (now), started before dawn and ended at dusk you could probably climb the standard route of most any peak in WA as long as you are in great shape and have the ability to go all day without stopping. Just imagine leaving your car before dawn and setting up a bivy on top of Fury that evening. Sounds cool...

Now car to car is a different story.... HCL.gif

Car to car. Car to summit in 24 is a 2-3 day trip overall which is a different kettle o fish. There are a LOT of things you could reach in 24 hrs straight going in, that you wouldnt be going as fast coming out from, hence overall time would be more than 48...

Hozomeen is under 12 hrs up from Canadian border...

And U can get to Cathedral in only about 7-8 hrs by coming in from Canada. the_finger.gif

Dru said:

Hozomeen is under 12 hrs up from Canadian border...

And U can get to Cathedral in only about 7-8 hrs by coming in from Canada. the_finger.gif

I did Hozomeen in under 12 from Hozomeen Lake. You can get to the base of Cathedral in 4 hours on a bike from the US side...

I would have to vote for Mt. Crowder as unattainable in 24 hours one way.

Another vote for unattainbale in 24 hours one way: Mt. Childs on the Bailey Range at this location. No fair with skis.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5295382&e=456225&s=25

Dru said:

cj001f said:

There aren't that many places in the world that aren't a 24 hour run from the trailhead!

...just most of Canada and Russia and oh, most places in the world outside the USA, populated parts of Asia and Europe

It's called a Dehavilland Beaver dru. The Canadian trailhead.

As far as 24 straight-in or car to car? Either, both, whatever. It might be easier to first stipulate what cannot be reached within a day by 'alpine ninjas'. I'd thought of asking this before, but forgot about it until reading Wayne's death march up Logan and JayB(?)'s death march up Glacier.

I'm not listing any peaks because I think they'll all fall. But I would like to see a list of those which others think cannot be done.

Pencil_Pusher said:

As far as 24 straight-in or car to car? Either, both, whatever. It might be easier to first stipulate what cannot be reached within a day by 'alpine ninjas'. I'd thought of asking this before, but forgot about it until reading Wayne's death march up Logan and JayB(?)'s death march up Glacier.

I'm not listing any peaks because I think they'll all fall. But I would like to see a list of those which others think cannot be done.

Although I doubt anyone has bothered to log even a semi-offical record for the route, I wonder what the fastest RT time on the Frostbite-Sitkum circuit is. I think it would have taken us about 19 hours if we hadn't missed an obvious turn and taken the mother of all detours on the way back to the car, and our only humble (yet unattained) goal with respect to time was to try to get back to the car before dark.

The route is in perfect shape for a solo effort right now, and in the right weather window someone could cruise the thing solo using running shoes, a trekking pole with a self arrest grip, and a windbreaker. I think that anyone that's fit enough to run a marathon right now could do the round trip in less than 8 hours without struggling too much.

Whether anyone would want to bother doing such a thing is another question though.....

Kiwi said:

Pencil_Pusher said:

As far as 24 straight-in or car to car? Either, both, whatever.

Umm... I consider this an important point.

Okay Kiwi, I'll hold your hand. Why don't you tell us which peaks cannot be reached one way. Then (hold your breath) tell us which peaks cannot be reached car to car. Or... this may be tough... tell us some of each.

Hope that helps.