Chilliwack Lake Road?

DonnV

Anyone have any recent info on the condition of the Chilliwack Lake Road to Depot Creek, or can tell me the best way to find that info? I was there last year and thought I saw signs indicating the road would no longer be maintained that far. It was still passable but at least one section seemed to be quickly falling into the lake. If it is passable, I don't suppose any friendly locals have pruned the Depot Creek Road so that you don't have to kiss your car's paint job goodbye? Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went up the Depot Creek road a couple times in June (recon trips). The final stretch to the T junction where a spur on the right crosses the river is quite brushy. It's not worth going past the junction - very brushy and doesn't get you much further. I have a Trooper and had no problems in 4-low. Not so sure how a suburu would do on the creek crossings - clearance is nice.

BTW, when I was up there the gate on the bridge crossing Depot Creek on the main Chilliwack road was open and loggers were punching in a steep road up the shoulder of the ridge between Depot creek and Sapper's Park. I drove up the road to the end of both spurs - doesn't go far yet, but something's afoot. If the road does go up high on the ridge it might open up some access to some interesting ridge running toward Nodoubt/Redoubt. Perhaps Dru knows what this new road is about?

Drive Chilliwack Lake Road to the bridge that crosses Depot Creek (at about 33 miles, and distinguishable by the yellow steel railings on it). As of yesterday, the road was blocked at this bridge. Turn around, and take your second right onto the Depot Creek Road (Weird directions, I know, but this way there is less confusion).

Our Subaru Outback made it up the Depot Creek road, but a higher clearance vehicle would've been nice. At the first fork, take the left option. Park in the clearing at the second fork, and then take the left option on foot. About 200 yards from the second fork, turn left onto a spur road. Follow this spur uphill a couple hundred yards, and then turn right when it "T's" with an overgrown road. This very-overgrown road turns into the trail at the border.

I thought it was a really cool approach. In particular, the waterfall really kicks ass.