Suck! vancouver gets 2010 games

JoshK

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It still boggles my mind that any city would acutally *want* the olympics. While the politicians gloat, I think the poor residents of vancouver get screwed. My guess is far more money gets spent improving infastructure than gets brought into the economy from 2 months of games being held there. That doesn't even touch the hell the poor locals have to deal with while the games are taking place.

Also, on a different note...why not just hold the games entirely in whistler? isn't that what happened in Squaw Valley, CA in the 50s? Vancouver is about as much of a winter sport city as seattle. Instead of calling them the vancouver olympics and holding shit up at whistler, etc. it would seem to make more sense to just hold them in whistler. I dunno, I don't understand the politics of any of this.

Kiwi said:

So you don't plan on attending the Olympics?

Hell no. I plan on staying as far away from that clusterfuck as possible. Crossing the border and driving to whistler is bad enough without having to compete with thousands of others doing the same thing!

JoshK said:

why not just hold the games entirely in whistler?

i would rather they kept the whole thing and its destructive wake away from the mountains. it'll suck if it spawns developement north of whistler.

thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

JoshK said:

It still boggles my mind that any city would acutally *want* the olympics. While the politicians gloat, I think the poor residents of vancouver get screwed. My guess is far more money gets spent improving infastructure than gets brought into the economy from 2 months of games being held there. That doesn't even touch the hell the poor locals have to deal with while the games are taking place.

Also, on a different note...why not just hold the games entirely in whistler? isn't that what happened in Squaw Valley, CA in the 50s? Vancouver is about as much of a winter sport city as seattle. Instead of calling them the vancouver olympics and holding shit up at whistler, etc. it would seem to make more sense to just hold them in whistler. I dunno, I don't understand the politics of any of this.

Quite true...however, many would argue that this is exactly the sort of revitilazation the city/province needs. Logging & fishing is all but defunct. If it weren't for the sale of passports and investment brought in by wealthy Chinese, the province would prolly go broke.

That being said, the olympics will sadly forever change the valley and draw increasingly more crowds to the slopes long after the olympics have ended.

One thing to watch out for is the shady politics in bed with the commercial interests. In Salt Lake City a developer at one of the ski areas (Park City, I think) did a land swap with the FS or BLM. Developer got prime acreage at the ski area in exchange for much lower quality/value land. Some people there were/are pretty outraged about it.

Kiwi said:

So you don't plan on attending the Olympics?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hell no. I plan on staying as far away from that clusterfuck as possible. Crossing the border and driving to whistler is bad enough without having to compete with thousands of others doing the same thing!

I'm stang away too!!! evils3d.gif

now that canada has started down the road to legalizing marijuana ... I hope the IOC follows suit and opens the fully stocked medicine chest to all the 'athletes', just hand out those steroids and amphetamines like pixie sticks baby! Let's see just how far we can take this freak-show ... I want carnage! imagine the new medals tote board: "gold silver bronze heart-attack coma paralysed" ... its a whole new dimension to international competition ... wheee!

the Blo-lympics rot no matter where they are held. institutionalized child abuse thumbs_down.gif

fern said:

now that canada has started down the road to legalizing marijuana ... I hope the IOC follows suit and opens the fully stocked medicine chest to all the 'athletes', just hand out those steroids and amphetamines like pixie sticks baby! Let's see just how far we can take this freak-show ... I want carnage! imagine the new medals tote board: "gold silver bronze heart-attack coma paralysed" ... its a whole new dimension to international competition ... wheee!

the Blo-lympics rot no matter where they are held. institutionalized child abuse thumbs_down.gif

My X-girlfriend was a gymnast who, when a bit younger, was on the road towards the olympics. She withdrew from high level gymnastics when she finally got tired of being yelled at and beat by her eastern european coach. hellno3d.gifpitty.gif

There is already development north of whistler in Pemberton.

I guess I'm the only one, but I'm glad to see the Olympics come to Vancouver. It'll be a great festival of sport and a chance to see some of the elite athletes of the world competing on our doorstep.

I do understand where you're coming from with respect to over-development, but let's face it, Whistler is already Disneyland on Ice.

One thing is for sure, it will change the face and personality of the town of Squamish forever. No doubt there will be some major restaurant, condo, and hotel development there, and an increased amount of tourism in the future. You can bet that campgrounds won't be part of the development for winter olympics.

Thinker said:

One thing is for sure, it will change the face and personality of the town of Squamish forever. No doubt there will be some major restaurant, condo, and hotel development there, and an increased amount of tourism in the future. You can bet that campgrounds won't be part of the development for winter olympics.

I wonder if they'll chase out climbers as part of a "rid the town of homeless people" push for the olympics? hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

MissNormandy said:

We have a timeshare there for a week during the games... We're debating if we should go see them or sell it for $$$$$$$$$.

What do you like more, sitting in traffic or getting money? I would sell it.

JoshK said:

I wonder if they'll chase out climbers as part of a "rid the town of homeless people" push for the olympics? hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

Our driver in SLC said the city had rounded up many of the homeless people there prior to the olympics and gave them a one way bus ticket to Las Vegas.

If you work it right, you may be able to get the same deal.

You can bet that campgrounds won't be part of the development for winter olympics.

Oh the campgrounds will be a part of the whole thing alright, in fact they'll receive MAJOR renovation as they are plowed under and condos, resturants, and other structures are built upon the campgrounds. madgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

God damn, I hope I'm dead wrong.

I have nothing against the games themselves...just all the crap that comes along with them. frown.gifthumbs_down.gif

I agree with Gowans that there are some cool aspects to the whole Olympic thing, but I fear that widening the road to Whisler is going to be a project that starts in the next year or so.

It is going to wreak havoc on the drive to Squamish madgo_ron.gif, and that is definitely bogus. thumbs_down.gif

On the other hand suffering the crowds to see a ski jumping or luge racing might actually be worth a day or two - sure beats flying to Switzerland and suffering the crowds.

Also? The drive to Squamish summer of '11 will be a breeze. Too bad I'll be too old to climb by then.. madgo_ron.gifhahaha.gif