Logan in a Day

wayne

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

skisports & I did the 3x9,000s yesterday. Figured it would be good to burn a crapload of calories as a prequel to consuming large amounts of beer and burgers today. cheeburga_ron.gifHCL.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

It actually wasn't all that hard. I'm pretty sure your logan trip was more of an asskicker, wayne. It's probably about 10k vertical, and near 20 miles, so you certainly feel it, but the biggest thing was simply the lack of sleep from the night before. cantfocus.gif

Hey Wayne, check out my TR in this forum. We looked at traversing the ridges proper (this was my original plan) but the travel looked quite time consuming and possibly difficult in places. We had no gear whatsoever with us, aside from a light axe and crampons each, so we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew on the ridges and have to backtrack to get back off. In any event, I am almost positive dropping down and traversing is much faster than following the ridge proper could be. You actually don't need to drop all that much. We climbed 7FJ right from the 7,700 col and only needed to drop to about 7400 if I recall to traverse across the slopes from 7FJ to Maude. I think climbing Maude directly from the 7FJ/Maude col would be quite fun. From a distance, however, it looked like it would be at least low/mid 5th class and the rock looked somewhat crappy. With it being later in the day and us quite tired from many hour without sleep, we decided the last thing we wanted to do was start climbing an unknown route on possibly difficult and loose terrain. cantfocus.gif

Hey, I never said that the North Face of Swiss Peak CAN'T be done in a day. I just said that of all the climbs in Washington, I think that route (among all the previously established routes) would be the HARDEST to make in 24 hours trailhead-to-trailhead. Perhaps Swiss Peak would be the hardest summit to make in a day, by any route.

Sorry Colin I misunderstood you, but I say it cant be done though. I wonder if the rock is that bad on it like it says. Fury is pretty bad up high. The Swiss peak is a cool looking peak, I wonder what the summit register says in it.

How about a traverse of luna -fury-swiss-challenger-whatcom?