Quotes about climbing

dberdinka

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You cannot stay on the summit forever. You have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this. What is above has seen what is below. What is below has not seen from above. One climbs,one sees,one descends,one can no longer see, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions based on what one has seen from above"-Rene Duval

Alpinfox said:

"You cannot stay on the summit forever. You have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this. What is above has seen what is below. What is below has not seen from above. One climbs,one sees,one descends,one can no longer see, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions based on what one has seen from above"-Rene Daumal . Mt. Analogue

Alpinfox said:

There are only three sports: Motor racing, Bullfighting, and Mountaineering; the rest are merely games.

-Ernest Hemmingway

actually i think hemmingway never said that. it's an urban legend or something. fwiw.

"First and foremost, in the spirit of classical mountaineering, it is a self-evident requirement that the first ascent of a summit or a climbing route.....must always start from below!"

-- Dietrich Hasse

and…

“The day you don't have a hill to climb, you might as well forget about it."

-- Dag Aabye

gregm said:

Alpinfox said:

There are only three sports: Motor racing, Bullfighting, and Mountaineering; the rest are merely games.

-Ernest Hemmingway

actually i think hemmingway never said that. it's an urban legend or something. fwiw.

i think 90% of all quotes have been dispelled as urban legends on this site... it is a funny occurence... that is even not including all those voltair quotes after the MN scandal... yellaf.gif

gregm said:

Alpinfox said:

-Ernest Hemmingway

Since 1999, the Hemingway Quote Finder has fielded more than 5000 quote source requests and has become a phenomenon in its own right. People from all walks of life have e-mailed in quotations: professors, film production companies, government officials, and authors. If I had a dollar for each time the following quotation was submitted, I would soon corral enough money to pay my web hosting fees until the next millennium: "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games."8 I've received this inquiry so many times that it prompted me to e-mail back a standard reply:

This is one in a long list of quotations mysteriously attributed to Ernest Hemingway. While the general public seem to agree that this is in fact a Hemingway quotation, scholars have some reservations and for good reason. The early Hemingway did not believe that bullfighting was a sport. For him it was a tragedy. See his October 20, 1923 article titled "Bullfighting A Tragedy" reprinted in By-Line: Ernest Hemingway Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades edited by William White. Hemingway reiterates his beliefs regarding the tragedy of bullfighting in his 1932 book, Death in the Afternoon.

Source

Quite a collection here:

http://www.gdargaud.net/Humor/QuotesClimbing.html

"One method of getting loved ones to look more fondly on your climbing is to tell them that since you've started climbing you hardly do drugs anymore." — David Harris.

"I've seen 5.11 divided into 11 different grades of increasing difficulty, as follows: 5.11a, 5.10d, 5.11-, 5.11b, 5.11, 5.11c, 5.9 squeeze, 5.11+, 5.10 OW, 5.12a, 5.11d" — Brutus of Wyde.

I agree with those who say that climbing is not life. It is much better than that. In climbing you get nothing other than what you absolutely deserve. It has no skin color, no gender, no rules that matter ( att: retrosoreass wave.gif)and no lawyers, referees, or pushy parents. You can't get any more than exactly what you put into it. There are no dead ends in climbing, no barriers other than the ones we impose upon ourselves. The blend of skill, boldness, and the desire of each route is unique unto itself and yet connected to every other route as if within one long contiguous passage. Life is hard on dreams, and even harder on dreamers. Climbing was built for them. For in climbing success and failure both lead to the same place, to new resolves and new possibilities. LIFE SHOULD BE SO GOOD!!!

From Stone Places by Geof Childs

thumbs_up.gifcool.gifthumbs_up.gif

my favorite climbing quote

"but Ken... It's not about how many 5.10's you led, it's about how many 5.10 leaders you've laid"

- Bev Johnson

it reminds me to not take everything so seriously wink.gif including myself tongue.gif