Quotes about climbing

dberdinka

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole introduction to John Long's "Rock Jocks, Wall Rats, and Hang Dogs" is great.

Here is a sample:

"The reasons he is climbing are deeper than words can go. He only knows that it is not desire or even skill that keeps him moving, but obligation. He has to climb this "big wall." The reasons, whenever stated, never sound quite right, and only matter to non-climbers anyway. To him, what matters is that this copper swedge holds, and the next one after that, all the way to the summit, still two days away, maybe three."

Ropegun2002 said:

Security is mostly superstition. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

-Helen Keller

How's 'bout "I'm gonna kill that 85lb shit, even if he can crank?" fruit.gif

"my once keen analytical mind has become so dulled by endless hours of baking in the hot sun,thrashing about in tight chimneys,pulling at impossibly heavy loads,freezing my ass off....so that now my mental state is comparable to that of a peruvian indian,well stoked on coca leaves"

Warren Harding

fredrogers said:

"It doesn't matter if they made it to the top or not. They didnt make it back. You lose points for dying."

Eric Simonson in reference to Mallory and Irvine. fruit.gif

"I don't know who was the first to summit Everest, but I do know that I was the first to do it and come back and tell about it."

Sir Edmund Hillary, also referring to Mallory and Irvine fruit.gif

Ropegun2002 said:

.to strive

..to seek

...to find

....& not to yeild

I think it was shakespear. I first read the quote in the book seven summits. It was my mantra on my first Denali summit.

and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are ---

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

-Alfred Lord Tennyson, From the Poem 'Ulysses'

..have several good quotes, and a reference on a good book on post's original subject.

"Citus,Altus, Fortis" latin, i think.... "Fast, High, Strong."

or " deep in the wild mountains,

is a wild marketplace

where you can trade the hassle and noise

of everyday life

for eternal Light" - Milarepa

and an off the cuff, lighthearted look at waiting out a storm in some snow cave, "if we had some ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs."

but a good quote about the reasons why we climb-

"we now appreciated everything around us. each individual crystal in the granite stood out in bold relief...How could one be bored with so many good things to see and feel/ This unity with our joyous surroundings, this ultra penetrating perception, gave us a feeling of contentment that we had not had for years." Yvon Chouinard after eight days on el Cap.

great book... "Bone Games: extreme sports, shaminism, zen, and the search for transcendence." by Rob Schultheis