Are trees aid?

Uncle_Tricky

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

Springboard, at Snag Buttress, Mount Erie. If you use the snag it's 5.7, but way harder without. How much harder I can't say. I was afraid to use the dead tree limb, because I thought it might break!

Really? Let's forget about this tree shitola and get back to wimmen as aid...much more interesting, if'n you ask me...

MisterE said:

RuMR said:

wirlwind said:

for wimmen and aid,some times you need lots of pro, mental and physical,

A M E N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or is that A W O M E N???

Rudy, you bein' PC cuz the wife is watching, or was that a pun? boxing_smiley.gif

wave.gif

Wifey's in bed...depressed...job's got her down...bringin' me down too...so i'm here talkin' to all my loser online buds...so that would be a pun then...

RuMR said:

Fence_Sitter said:

erik's just pissy cause he has the only g-string that is comprised of an entire 60 meter blue water 10.2 mil... the_finger.gif

He uses goldline, duh!!!!!!!!!

until he found that in his old age, he started to get wicked hemerhoids from all the extra friction... hellno3d.gifyellaf.gif

• 3 weeks later...

You can only use trees if the route card at the base of the route is marked "standard" or if there is colored tape next to the tree indicating it is a valid hold. confused.gif

I can't believe this question was even posted! All features are in on a free climb. You're still climbing free until you sling it and pull up on the sling or step into an aider. If you sit on the tree for a rest, you're still free. Trees are a valid part of a route. They are not artificial. If the original route climber didn't want the tree to be in in order to make the route "harder" then they should have hacked it off from the climb (BTW: I don't condone hacking trees for the sake of making a climb harder or easier).

My two "sense"...

RodFox said:

You can only use trees if the route card at the base of the route is marked "standard" or if there is colored tape next to the tree indicating it is a valid hold. confused.gif

I can't believe this question was even posted! All features are in on a free climb. You're still climbing free until you sling it and pull up on the sling or step into an aider. If you sit on the tree for a rest, you're still free. Trees are a valid part of a route. They are not artificial. If the original route climber didn't want the tree to be in in order to make the route "harder" then they should have hacked it off from the climb (BTW: I don't condone hacking trees for the sake of making a climb harder or easier).

My two "sense"...

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I somewhat agree with Rod. Even though the tradition of not grabbing "vegetable holds" has long been around in rock climbing, it is often rather contrived to climb around a bush or tree without grabbing it, and one always wonders "what would Trask do here?" It is aid when you hang on gear, not when you grab a clump of grass or something. Having said that, I immediately think of two rather commonly pulled on bushes in Darrington that really are not, in my own contrived view, part of the route: the bush hanging down at the crux step-up move on the second of the two crux pitches on Dreamer, and the "batman bush" on Total Soul. I bet the former was NOT used on the first ascent and I also bet most people who grab that bush do so after first trying to make the move without. The move can be done without the bush, and it is probably the hardest single move of the climb but not much harder than other moves on that pitch and the pitch before. This makes it feel like a resort to "aid" when you grab the bush. As to the Batman Bush - we DID use it on the first ascent and the low hanging branch pushes you off the climb and almost forces you to grab it. I think that the climb would be better off without it but many people have told me to leave it because that move would be too hard without it (I don't think so - I believe the move is no more than 5.9, in the middle of a 5.10 pitch, without using the branch). I generally believe in pruning bushes away from climbs at Darrington because they tend to trap or drop debris and cause rock slimmage, but I said "prune" -- I am not always successful, but I try to do a clean job of it rather than leave a hacked remnant of a formerly proud plant.

mattp said:

Having said that, I immediately think of two rather commonly pulled on bushes in Darrington that really are not, in my own contrived view, part of the route: the bush hanging down at the crux step-up move on the second of the two crux pitches on Dreamer, and the "batman bush" on Total Soul. I bet the former was NOT used on the first ascent and I also bet most people who grab that bush do so after first trying to make the move without. The move can be done without the bush, and it is probably the hardest single move of the climb but not much harder than other moves on that pitch and the pitch before. This makes it feel like a resort to "aid" when you grab the bush. As to the Batman Bush - we DID use it on the first ascent and the low hanging branch pushes you off the climb and almost forces you to grab it. I think that the climb would be better off without it but many people have told me to leave it because that move would be too hard without it (I don't think so - I believe the move is no more than 5.9, in the middle of a 5.10 pitch, without using the branch). I generally believe in pruning bushes away from climbs at Darrington because they tend to trap or drop debris and cause rock slimmage, but I said "prune" -- I am not always successful, but I try to do a clean job of it rather than leave a hacked remnant of a formerly proud plant.

I also primarily agree with RodFox.

And completely agree with MattP -- I've climbed both Dreamer (w/o tree-hugging) and TotalSoul -- tried to do T.S. w/o tree-hugging for about 2 seconds, after which grabbed onto & batman'd off that bush for all it was worth rather than fight it...

FWIW MattP, nice freaking work on all the D routes... u (& all your cohorts) rockband.gif

Hug a tree.

• 1 year later...