Packin' heat...

MtnChicken

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

marylou said:

I've spent a fair amount of time in the BC alone.

You think you need a gun to go in the woods by yourself? Please. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

anyone who knows me knows i HATE guns. however there have been 2 occasions in the bc where i felt VERY vulnerable. i was armed w/my dogs and my wits. i guess that means i was out gunned wink.gif it wouldn't have hurt my feelings to have had a gun in both those situations. i've recently been shopping for one.

MC,

I agree with whoever gave the .38 Smith & Wesson Airweight response. You can get one with an open hammer or a shrouded "double action only" operation that won't snag on loose straps/clothing/etc. Weighs about 15oz unloaded. Stick with the standard ammo...not the "+p" stuff. I'm a big fan of .22 cal. The "deterrence" effect is just as valid, (just empty the magazine/cylinder on the attacker) and the ammo is so much lighter! You can get a small Beretta .22 semi-auto that weighs about 10oz. or a S&W .22 airweight revolver that weighs about 8ozs.

Remember that the weapon is useless if it is in your pack. Keep it easily accessible. I like the Dana Design pouches that anchor between your two shoulder straps.

Remember that a Washington State concealed permit overrides ANY local ordinance by law, but it is still illegal to carry a firearm in a national park. (Unfortunately, rapists, murderers, car prowlers, etc. don't seem to recognize national park boundaries as sacred.....so I don't either!)

Remember also, the firearm is for protection against humans, not bears. Black bears almost never harm anyone over here, so leave them alone. I like them.

Take a class. The trick is knowing friend from foe. When alone you are probably safest not exposing yourself to conversation with all-male groups. And contrary to what we've been taught all of our lives....You are allowed to judge people by their appearance, and by the company they keep! Don't forget the greatest danger lies at the trailhead.

Hope this helps.

One way to look at it Mountain Chicken is that guns are considered the great equalizer: It gives chicken-shit little cowards the same power (and false sense of bravery) as strong, brave people. If you have guns you are likely to use them and that raises the chances of someone or thing getting shot. The only place in the North American wilderness I would ever consider walking around with one loaded, in a holster on my hip would be Alaska IF I thought there might be some troublesome grizzlys around. Usually noise and basic precautions are enough to keep them away. In America, there are so many guns you have to worry about getting shot. I lived in Hong Kong for three years, where they do not allow any firearms, and never once on the news or anywhere did I hear of anyone getting shot, in a city of many millions! Sure there was some violent crime but not much. There were gang fights but seldom a fatality. The weapon of choice there was meat clevers. It takes a shitload of balls and determination to attack someone with a meatclever or a knife. Guns make too easy to muster courage and too many people get fucked that needn't have been. thumbs_down.gif

Billygoat said:

I can't believe how scared you all are of being fucked with!? What, were you picked on in junior high and still haven't recovered cry.gifrolleyes.gifthumbs_down.gifcrazy.gif "I got a gun. Nobody's gonna fuck with me now!" hellno3d.gifcantfocus.gif

whatever dood it is her choice to make... if it makes her feel safer, more power to her... i guess you wouldnt really know waht she is feeling cause despite your pussyness you are not a woman!!! back off the lady... when you have walked as a lone woman on the trail for 5 days and come across a scraggly ol geezer with ass on the brain... then you can start caliing people puusies foo! the_finger.gif

erik said:

snoboy said:

erik said:

gun owners make me laugh!

hahaha.gif

Better be careful what you say there...

yellaf.gif

whys that? i can talk shit to them all day long!!!! [whiney antagonistic] it's my constitutional right! hahaha.gif[/whiney antagonistic]

plus i'll just fire back while laughing!

the_finger.gif

You'll be an organ donor before you can get that thing out of the safety deposit box, fool!!! yellaf.gifwave.gif

Billygoat said:

I can't believe how scared you all are of being fucked with!? What, were you picked on in junior high and still haven't recovered cry.gifrolleyes.gifthumbs_down.gifcrazy.gif "I got a gun. Nobody's gonna fuck with me now!" hellno3d.gifcantfocus.gif

I know quite a few individuals who carry and none of them have this cavalier attitude that so many anti-gunners claim we have.

Fence_Sitter said:

when you have walked as a lone woman on the trail for 5 days and come across a scraggly ol geezer with ass on the brain... then you can start caliing people puusies foo! the_finger.gif

I think this is FenceSitter's way of coming out of the closet. Congrats, FS, that was very brave. yelrotflmao.gif

marylou said:

You think you need a gun to go in the woods by yourself? Please. rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

What a bitch. Who are you to presume what she does and does not need or feel comfortable with. Certainly no one is going to threaten your neanderthal-looking cavewoman ass, but Mountain Chicken might actually BE a good representation of the fairer sex. rolleyes.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

Billygoat said:

whatever dood it is her choice to make... if it makes her feel safer, more power to her... i guess you wouldnt really know waht she is feeling cause despite your pussyness you are not a woman!!! back off the lady... when you have walked as a lone woman on the trail for 5 days and come across a scraggly ol geezer with ass on the brain... then you can start caliing people puusies foo! the_finger.gif

I'm talkin' about everyone and I'm talkin' about danger avoidance. The truth is, you can't just go everywhere anytime and you have to avoid certain situations not enter them thinking you can just shoot your way out. Now, maybe some have the training and experience to handle dicey situations with a gun but I would bet that the majority would freeze, do something stupid and either shoot themselves or someone else when the whole situation could have been avoided.

I don't think I called anyone a pussy.

Fence_Sitter said:

It takes a shitload of balls and determination to attack someone with a meatclever or a knife.

reeeeely? cause i think weapons are chicken shit... who the fuck would be afraid to attack someone when they had a knife!?! whateverr dood rolleyes.gif

Try it. It ups the seriousness and commitment of any fight. From who's going to eat shit boxing_smiley.gifto who's going to die madgo_ron.gif.

I went on my very first climbing trip with someone who was packing heat this weekend. I really didn't feel any safer then the thousands of other trips I've been on.

I think you've gotta take GW's comments about guns with a grain of salt. Other than a couple times shooting a gun I've never packed heat, and I've never felt threatened. I think the NRA has a little chip in Greg's head. wink.gif

As to the female part of the equation, I think having a partner or a big dog would be more fun than going solo with a gun.

AlpineK said:

I think you've gotta take GW's comments about guns with a grain of salt. Other than a couple times shooting a gun I've never packed heat, and I've never felt threatened. I think the NRA has a little chip in Greg's head. wink.gif

yellaf.gifyellaf.gif That and the large poster of Charlton Heston and Wayne LaPierre over my bed...those eyes seem to follow me everywhere!!!! shocked.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Greg_W said:

marylou said:

What a bitch. Who are you to presume what she does and does not need or feel comfortable with. Certainly no one is going to threaten your neanderthal-looking cavewoman ass, but Mountain Chicken might actually BE a good representation of the fairer sex. rolleyes.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Billygoat said:

What are you guys fuckin' nutz!?! Carrying a loaded gun around increases your chance of getting shot 60 times. I keep mine locked up and unloaded. Don't go out with a lot of fear in your heart, it attracts trouble. hellno3d.gif

This "statistic" is bullshit. Why own a gun under your scenario? An unloaded gun is a useless hunk of metal...worthless. How much time do you have when you hear a window break in the middle of the night?