Packin' heat...

MtnChicken

I hear there are some gun-toters in here.... and i need a little assistance.

I'm currently toying with the notion of purchasing a lightweight, fairly simple firearm. I want to use this for solo back country stuff.... where there might be boogey-men around (not so concerned about bears.)

Any ideas? (By the way, my pocket book isn't over inflated, price is an issue.)

Cheers! bigdrink.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't normally carry in a gun - seems a bit on the silly side doesn't it? But, there are some serious nutcases out there, and as a solo female on back country trail... it would make me a little more comfortable.

Thanks for your advice, i appreciate it.

I own a .357 pistol and although it is on the powerful side, I am glad it is on my side! When I lived in Montana, I carried it everytime I went out in the woods. I was probably carrying it illegaly. Get a dog and a gun and you will probably never have problems with animals or nutcases!

I know you can get a concealed weapons permit but unsure on how to get one and what your rights are as far as being out in the wilderness with one....can you chime in here Greg_W?

They are alot more casual about it in MT versus here although I have never had an incident where I was searched for one, here in the PNW or in MT. I take it out shooting all the time and occasionally carry it on me when I hike around.

The .357 I have can shoot .38 bullets which I practice shooting with but there are .357s currently residing in the barrel.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Billygoat said:

What are you guys fuckin' nutz!?! Carrying a loaded gun around increases your chance of getting shot 60 times. I keep mine locked up and unloaded. Don't go out with a lot of fear in your heart, it attracts trouble. hellno3d.gif

Amen!

Look. Until you are a female, alone on a trail (in a parking lot, walking down the street...) and you feel the prickle of uncertainty when some strange man who stands at 6'+ and weights a good 80+ lbs more than you... gives you the hebbie-jeebies and you realize you are alone, with NO ONE IN THE WORLD to hear you... then, then you can talk about who is "Fuckin' Nutz".

I find it disturbing that I'm the one considered nuts.

Grrr.

Gender is a hard thing to figure out on a board... i tried to look up her skirt, but.... grin.gif

Yeah, i'm working on the partner thing ChrisT - it's a great plan. I hadn't thought of it. cantfocus.gif

Seriously, live and let live. I was asking a question about types of guns, not the ethics of using them. I've thought long and hard about this, and i'm not completely sold on it as of yet. But, i'm a big girl... and i'm pretty confident that i'll make the right decision for me. I mean all the best, and i'd be happy to meet you and to do some climbing/bping. I am looking for partners after all. Problem being my days off are a bit askew. So, with that.. i mean no ill will. Hope you don't either.

Cheers! bigdrink.gif

No ill will MC. Just the stats don't support having guns around. I took one with me when I was hitch hiking and train jumping across the country and now feel like I exposed myself to more danger cause I thought I was protected. More people are shot with their own guns than intruders. Check Mother Jones magazine (super left wing to be sure) for data, which they footnote with sources.

but it is different with a woman in the BC... especially if they are doing things that end them up on highways... if i were a woman, i would pack doing trips like this... lotta wackoes out there... her increased probability of being attacked probably skews those fact in her favor packin... especially if she got a gun handlers class under her belt... proper use of a firearm does lots to increase safety... strongly reccomed anyone to take a class before packin... My 2 cents... bigdrink.gif

It is so great to see so much diversity among folks. I love this country because not only do we have the choice to carry or not carry (WELL, IF YOU BEHAVE YOURSELF WITH THE LAW) but we can openly express our opinion on the subject if we wanted to. Based on upbringing and personal experience one can draw their own conclusions on whether a gun should be carried or not. I have traveled all over the USA and Mexico, in the city and in the country, ALONE without a gun and have been fine. There are times when I think I need it and there are times I don't. Taking a class is a wonderful idea although I went to the school of "Daddy" when I was about 14. I really do hate the thought of ever using it, but I guess you never know about those things. I know folks that have been violated and a gun really came in handy at the time. I also roamed Montana with my father as a child, hunting or not hunting, carrying a Ruger, for as long as I can remember and I guess it is old hat for me to still continue the practice. To each his own, just be wary of the responsibility and risk of carrying one.

MtnChicken said:

I'm currently toying with the notion of purchasing a lightweight, fairly simple firearm. I want to use this for solo back country stuff.... where there might be boogey-men around (not so concerned about bears.)

Cheers! bigdrink.gif

Hi, moral issues aside, if I wanted a handgun for protection and didn't feel comfortable with my favorite 1911 A-1 .45, then I'd definately own a Glock 23. Perfect for a woman too. Incidently, the .40 cal with the 125 gr. hollowpoint runs neck and neck with the .357 for balls. Here it is: click

ChrisT said:

Billygoat said:

What are you guys fuckin' nutz!?! Carrying a loaded gun around increases your chance of getting shot 60 times. I keep mine locked up and unloaded. Don't go out with a lot of fear in your heart, it attracts trouble. hellno3d.gif

Amen!

You are both dillusional and uninformed. (This was my "nice" response)

MtnChicken said:

Cheers! bigdrink.gif

I will be the first to say that this is a serious personal decision. Most importantly, it is a PERSONAL decision; don't be swayed by anyone elses politics, propaganda, or ideas (even my own wink.gif). Carrying a gun in the backcountry is a perfectly fine idea; if I'm worried about cougars, I carry one. Carry issues for the backcountry are different that in town; PM me and we can discuss either. Much of the "stats" that have been alluded to should be viewed with some speculation. Why would you get information about guns from an organization that knows nothing about guns?

As most know here, I make a decision to carry in order to secure (as best as possible) the safety of the people I care about. Bear in mind that approximately 2 Million potential crimes annually are averted by citizens who carry handguns for protection. Take that for what it's worth. If you have any questions about legality PM me. A good resource for information on the law and on concealed-carry period is www.nra.org. For women's issues, check out this section of the NRA website:Women and the NRA

As far as models and price, consider buying used from a pawn shop. Your dollar goes a bit farther. Again, PM me and we can talk about manufacturers and caliber, etc.

Good luck

Greg_W

snoboy said:

erik said:

gun owners make me laugh!

hahaha.gif

Better be careful what you say there...

yellaf.gif

whys that? i can talk shit to them all day long!!!! [whiney antagonistic] it's my constitutional right! hahaha.gif[/whiney antagonistic]

plus i'll just fire back while laughing!

the_finger.gif