Best Alpine Alcohol?

Dru

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ethanol has more than 5 calories per gram. So, if you are carring everclear, your weight per calorie is better than GU (or snickers for that matter). I think that any thing above 110 proof is worth carrying. Knob Creek does not quite make the grade at 100 proof. For bourbon, choose Booker's at 127 proof. Rhum; I like Cruzan at 120 proof ( aged in oak for 2 years and only $11 a bottle ) It is hard to find a bottle of scotch that makes the cut at less than $150. There are not many liqours over 110 but they are out there; Chartruese comes to mind, as do a few specialty Ouzo's.

High proof rhum and Cytomax with a bit of water is palatable and soooo... good for you. (hint, mix the water & Cytomax first then add the alcohol)

Handy trick # 1. You can swirl high proof drink into a water bottle that was used to carry water from a questionable source prior to boiling it... and then drink the contents with impunity and reuse the bottle for clean water afterwards.

Frankly, and I hate to admit this, I could barely choke down my rhum supply above 19,000 ft on my last trip. I did, because I needed the bottle for summit day and it would have broken my fragile heart to have dumped it out. frown.gif" border="0 (I guess we all have our limits.)

P.S. Keep your fucking limes away from my bourbon...that being said; I have plenty of gin & tequila. tongue.gif" border="0

Broiled lobster tail, crab-meat cocktail, French onion soup, and Wild Turkey on the rocks. That's what Jonathan Hemlock orders, that's what I order. In addition to Wild Turkey, Hemlock and Big Ben Bowman drink Olympia beer on top of the Totem Pole. When I want beer....OK, I won't go that far. Olympia is easy to turn down.

well i must admit while in nepal i figured id drink everest whiskey while soaking in the views of everest at 18,500. but between that and the joint after about 20 mins. i awoke to my friend moaning, " ive godda ga down" i figured that was que to head down. boy did i get a head ache that damb altitude

Someone said Rumplemints......That almost always wins in my book!! Just the smell makes my smile.

Boxed wine without the box packs along pretty well too and you can blow it up with air when empty and use it for a pillow when you pass out. Although, after finishing off a sack of that shit you will likely not care if you have a pillow or not. Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
Scotch is good straight but I always feel a bit sacreligious if you have to mix it. I have tried Drambuie and it is Ok...

Dru, ever tried a Rusty Nail? Mix scotch with Drambuie 2:1. I've never taken this with me on a climb but it tastes fantastic!

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:
Assuming you have perfectly good scotch to begin with, why would you want to ruin it?

Sorry, I should clarify: DON'T use a single malt. You're right - that would be a complete waste. The true drink calls for a blended scotch, like say Johnny Walker Black Label.

A bit more of a warm weather, but a personal favorite is the backcountry margarita. Bring a bit of tequila, a bit of powdered country time lemonade (tastes better than Kool Aid) and a plastic lime and you are good to go. They taste like shit in the front country, but are backcountry bliss... tongue.gif" border="0

Welcome to the darkside glen...watch out, the Surgeon General Warning hidden on the home page of this site claims that "Spray" is highly addictive and my cause terminal procrastonation, resulting in the extended lengthiness of all important work, especialy PHD projects. grin.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:
Welcome to the darkside glen...watch out, the Surgeon General Warning hidden on the home page of this site claims that "Spray" is highly addictive and my cause terminal procrastonation, resulting in the extended lengthiness of all important work, especialy PHD projects.
grin.gif" border="0

It would be funny if it wasn't so true! shocked.gif" border="0

tongue.gif" border="0

Statistics > Top 20 drinks--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01 Water (the original) 02 Cosmopolitan #1 03 Liquid Ecstasy 04 Long Island Iced Tea (By a Long Islander) 05 Cosmopolitan Martini 06 1-900-FUK-MEUP 07 Mojito 08 A Piece of Ass 09 Long Island Iced Tea #1 10 Jello shots 11 Hurricane, New Orleans Style 12 Cosmopolitan #2 13 Cosmopolitan #3 14 Hurricane 15 White Russian 16 Imperial Cocktail 17 Margarita 18 Apple Martini 19 Fuck in the Graveyard 20 Adios Motherfucker #2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Drinks served: 264154 (8070 random) Period: Mon Feb 4 00:00:01 2002 - Fri Feb 8 03:00:09 2002 GMT