Best Alpine Alcohol?

Dru

Rich n Rare makes a smooth cheap sipping whiskey for out there, I used to just buy the Jim Beam travellers flasks until Lisa Garcia turned me on to this R&R stuff on a trip up in the Chiwawas.

You can always try to slip the twelve pack in with your buddies "group gear"

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:[QB]I've gone on a backpack with my dad at least once a year for 30 some years now. His drink of choice has become Yukon Jack mixed with 151./QB]

Boy that brings back memories. The night I got out of the army Yukon and window pane acid.Do ya think that would be too dangerous for climbing?

So - you are going to carry in some alcohol to the hut/bivi/whatever to enliven the evening. What do you take?

I discount beer since even the good stuff is mostly water & not worth the efort to carry in. Box wine bladders pack down good to carry out but again are mostly water. Maybe for spending 2 weeks in ahut but otherwise no. So for best alcohol-to weight ratio you should carry in some of the hard stuff. The question is, what?

Scotch is good straight but I always feel a bit sacreligious if you have to mix it. I have tried Drambuie and it is Ok but my 2 favorites at the moment are Rum and Jagermeister. Both are good on their own (straight) or can be mixed with just about anything including sports drinks like Gatorade if thats all you got. But I want to hear suggestions from others on what you all like to [big Drink] Also you can carry in thses fluids in a spare Nalgene then use it as a water bottle when it is emptied.

The "best" is a matter of personal preference that depends in part on whether you are planning to share. I find that brandy seems to be the most widely accepted when I pass the bottle around a campfire, perhaps because it is slightly less in proof and slightly sweeter than most hard alcohol. Personally, I prefer scotch, fifteen years old, with an icicle in it.

100 proof Stolichnaya Vodka...In an aluminum flask, packed into a snowdrift/bank until chilled.Smooth, smooth, smooth.

On a side note:I know of two situations where one person used anothers bottle of Stoly to cook a pot of pasta.That's enough to make a grown man cry. frown.gif" border="0

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: ScottP ]