Eiger Sanction vs. Cliffhanger

gslater

Both of these movies were on at the same time last night, and it was kind of fun to flip back and forth between the two to compare the climbing scenes.

This morning I went to the Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com, one of my faves) to look up some info on these movies. Reading the "User Comments" was kind of interesting, in that there were multiple comments like the following for The Eiger Sanction:

"It is simply too long and has too many unnecessary or unduly elongated scenes. The training sequence (even though much of it is good) wears the audience out by the time the main climb occurs. By then, the endless pick-axing and scuffling along becomes tiresome."

I don't know; "endless pick-axing and scuffling along" sounds pretty much like real climbing to me.

On the other hand, the user comments for Cliffhanger talk about the wonderful action scenes. I guess that pretty much says it all about how the general public will never have much interest in accurate movies about climbing.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ciffhanger was enertaining in a hollywood way, but laughable in a climbing sense.

Wopper puts it this way: Climbing movies will never be good because climbing is only fun and intense for those that are actually doing it. Its boring to watch in real life, why would it look good in movies. confused.gif

bigdrink.gif and Blackhawk Down, now that is a good combo on a Rainy friday night.

Edited by Rodchester

ChrisT said:

Cliffhanger was laughable but i never saw Eiger Sanction. Are you recommending it?

Oh sure, definitely worth watching at least once. Lots of humorous mid-70s stuff, with some great scenery and so on. I'd never buy it, but I'd rent it.

The Eiger Sanction Rocks!!!! rockband.gif

The best thing about Cliffhanger was the acting by John Lithgow. What a range that guy has. Ever see "The World According to Garp"? Hard to believe the same guy could play both those parts so well.

Non climbing friends ask what I think about cliffhanger and I always say

Oh, sure its realitic. I had a similar experience last weekend on Snow Creek Wall. And another time I was on rainier and Stallone and I were putting up this aid route on the Ingraham glacier..and this jet accidently dumped gold bars on us. And then the CIA parachuted in a team of genetically cloned Jenn Jamesons to steel the bars from us...and they were sucksessful... shocked.gifbigdrink.gif

Dont remember the name of the movie but I think it had Stefan Glowitz (sp) in it. It was about Cerro Torre, and had some of the best scenery I have ever seen in it. As always the plot is laughable but the movie is worth renting. Good luck finding it. Scarecrow video maybe.

You Gotta love George Kennedy's bulletproof, stronger than God hip belay. And what's with that indian chick running Clint ragged? And the gay guy? Man "Sanction" is actually a pretty bizarre pic if you think about it.

Cliffhager: Hi-larious. Where did Stallone get that Bolt gun? To quote Timmay, that things "Plab" My favorite "climbing" movie: "K2 The ultimate High" rockband.gif

Scott Glen(sp?): Positively BADASS

b-rock said:

chris_w said:

I think Eiger Sanction was the first movie clint directed.

Nah, 'Play Misty for Me' and 'High Plains Drifter' at least were before the Eiger.

I think that's right. And then he went to Outlaw Josey Wales (an excellent, excellent movie) right after Eiger Sanction. I took a class called Western Cinema in college. Basically consisted of watching 2+ movies every afternoon for 3 straight weeks, and meeting in the morning to discuss them and writing papers and such. At the end of the class, we voted for best Western. We picked Josey Wales as #1 (Red River was #2, and The Searchers was #3). The final film, naturally, was Blazing Saddles, just so we'd get all the jokes about the Western cliches.

Found Eiger Sanction in the bargain VHS bin at my local K-Mart for $5 some time back--oh, yeah. My second favorite line (next to the one somebody above already mentioned):

Clint: "That route doesn't provide for a retreat."

German Hardman: "Of course, I forgot--retreating is something you are quite experienced at."

Let's not forget Clint's stylin' 70's lifestyle. I think he was after Captain Kirk's record on making it with as many chicks as possible--he chalked up points with a groovin' black chick and a strong silent Native American woman in the Eiger... thumbs_up.gif No barriers there!