Crags around Glacier/Baker

Gordonb

We will be staying in Glacier over the 4th and I am looking for a place to climb. I will have the family with me so we would like a place we could rig a top rope. We can handle routes up to about 10a. Does anyone know of any walls that have sort top ropable routes?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The place is not entirely easy to find. Pick up a guidebook at the WWU bookstore in Bellingham. They might sell them elsewhere too but I don't know where. When I was there we didn't have the book and ended up having a mini-epic on some mossy chossy crap that turned out to be harder than it looks (well, that's not saying much cuz I suck tongue.gif). The easy crags (I remember one is "Peewee's Playhouse") were actually half a mile further down the road.

These crags are actually very easy to find. Pee Wee has about 4 really short sport routes, most are hard to set tr's for though. The pumphouse and cobblestone walls are where the majority of routes are. Pumphouse is pretty steep, not too much easy stuff. Cobblestone wall is actually really cool. 4-6 Full pitches of verticle cobbles from 5.8 and up. Dynomerchant (former poster) put most of these routes up. i can pm you with approach deets if you want.

I also found this place difficult to locate. The "easy" climbs weren't so easy for me! I slipped on the moss and ended up hanging on a 5.4! Oh the shame! Oh yeah, and it was an overhanging 5.4 - like that's even possible! That was a few weeks ago, maybe the moss is at least dry by now.

Gordonb said:

Well, shit. It seems that basecamp is the only one that carries the book and they will not be open on the 4th when we will be going through b'ham. REI doesn't have it.

HAVE ONE OF THE BHAM KIDS BUY IT AND TRADE THEM FOR BEER......

SOUNDS LIKE LAYTON MIGHT BE INTO SOME HUMAN CONTACT!!!!!

Pulling over that final bulge on that center route is harder than it looks from the ground! I did it on a rainy day and thought about bailing – glad I didn’t. Good route though. Too bad the cliff wasn’t a bit higher. Wanna go back and try that route just to the right.

PP bigdrink.gif