Are You Shitting Me?

allthumbs

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This quote is particularly telling:

Country songwriter Hugh Prestwood, who has worked with performers such as Randy Travis, Trisha Yearwood and Jimmy Buffett, likened the RIAA's effort to a roadside police officer on a busy highway.

"It doesn't take too many tickets to get everybody to obey the speed limit," Prestwood said.

Umm...dipshit...how many people do you know that speed? Oh that's right...everybody. You can't patrol every single street and every time, so people will still take their chances and for the same reason the cops can't afford to patrol every street the record nazis can't afford to sue everybody.

I think that everybody would like to see artists compensated for their work. Otherwise, what incentive do they have for recoding cd's? People justify copyright violations on the basis that relatively little of the money they pay for a CD goes to the artist. Most of it goes to fat cat record company executives and their shareholders. Those guys are starting to hurt because piracy is starting to significantly cut into record sales. I don't know what the solution is, but don't expect to continue to get your entire recording collection for free anymore. It isn't fair to the artists.

catbirdseat said:

I think that everybody would like to see artists compensated for their work. Otherwise, what incentive do they have for recoding cd's? People justify copyright violations on the basis that relatively little of the money they pay for a CD goes to the artist. Most of it goes to fat cat record company executives and their shareholders. Those guys are starting to hurt because piracy is starting to significantly cut into record sales. I don't know what the solution is, but don't expect to continue to get your entire recording collection for free anymore. It isn't fair to the artists.

as much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Catbird.

I agree that the artists should be compensated, but the way tyhe RIAA is going about this is ridiculous. If somebody came up with a system to get the artists paid for their work and the record companies cut out of the deal altogether, adn the RIAA disbanded, they'd make a lot of friends.

toptimmy said:

The recoding industry was also afraid of cassette tapes.Why dont the artist negotiate better contracts?

Short answer: Consolidation. The record companies have reached a state of oligarchy, similar to what the domestic automakers had before foreign imports made inroads. They can do what they want.

Buy records and CD's from independent labels:

Here's why:

(1) More of your money goes to the musician(s).

(2) Mainstream music merely coopts what's happening in the underground.

(3) Retail price of indy label CD's and Records is significantly less (9-12 dollars instead of 16-18 dollars)

(4) Indy labels AREN'T SUING ANYONE

(5) Indy musicians are not rich

(6) Indy Rock ROCKS

Burn all the fucking rest and fuck Sony, Geffen, Epic, Capitol, Time-Warner. Let them make their money off the teenie boppers and the cube-farm suburbanites like they always have.

I burnt my copy of the White Album, Paul McCartney makes enough money off of SHITTY music to keep making it off of John Lennon and George Harrison.

My Two cents.

yup, i'm pretty sure it's CDs as well. I *know* it's tape. Somehow they convinced (aka paid) our government enought to convince them that since these mediums *could* be used to store music, that they should get a cut of it. assholes.