Caffeine: Good or Bad?

catbirdseat

From Wemple RD, Lamb DR, McKeever KH, (1997)"Caffeine vs caffeine-free sports drinks: effects on urine production at rest and during prolonged exercise." Int J Sports Med. 1997 Jan;18(1):40-6

"Thus, CAFF[eine] consumed in CE [sports drink (carbohydrate electrolyte)] during moderate endurance exercise apparently does not compromise bodily hydration status."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

minx said:

hey MN- car to enlighten us on the MOA of caffeine? i assume then that all stimulants have the same MOA? yelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

Caffeine is an antagonist to adenosine receptors.

No, all stimulants do not have the same MOA

For example, Cocaine increases the release of dopamine, Ecstasy blocks the reuptake of serotonin.

MissNormandy said:

minx said:

hey MN- car to enlighten us on the MOA of caffeine? i assume then that all stimulants have the same MOA? yelrotflmao.gifwave.gif

Caffeine is an antagonist to adenosine receptors.

No, all stimulants do not have the same MOA

For example, Cocaine increases the release of dopamine, Ecstasy blocks the reuptake of serotonin.

So was I right???

Right about what? Quoting yourself now are you, Miss Normandy?

I discovered first hand this weekend the limitations of caffeine. I was so tired driving back from Mt. Hood that three cups of coffee and two diet cokes had almost no effect. There was so much adenosine built up in my brain, the caffeine could not keep it from find it's home in its receptors.

I would have given anything for some Dexedrine

catbirdseat said:

I discovered first hand this weekend the limitations of caffeine. I was so tired driving back from Mt. Hood that three cups of coffee and two diet cokes had almost no effect. There was so much adenosine built up in my brain, the caffeine could not keep it from find it's home in its receptors.

I'm just curious as to wether or not my pharmacology is up to par and minx never responded to my answer to his question.

I'm willing to give y'all credit as being right that caffeine is not a diuretic, I just need to do a little more research and thinking about it because I'm skeptical. Maybe I just don't like to be wrong.

MissNormandy said:

catbirdseat said:

I'm just curious as to wether or not my pharmacology is up to par and minx never responded to my answer to his question.

I'm willing to give y'all credit as being right that caffeine is not a diuretic, I just need to do a little more research and thinking about it because I'm skeptical. Maybe I just don't like to be wrong.

your answer is close but not quite. close enough. it's been a few years since neuroendicronology so i should look up a few of the specifics. but you'll note that they are all different pathways and would not necessarily induce increased kidney functions.