Caffeine: Good or Bad?

catbirdseat

Caffeine is good because it is stimulant. It gets your heart rate up. It's also bad because it is a diuretic and can promote dehydration. Twight likes it. I need it.

So in the balance, is it good or bad? And if good, then how much is good and how much is too much? For example, Twight talks about tailing off on caffeine consumption in the week before a climb so that a smaller amount has a bigger effect on the climb day (if I remember correctly).

Beat Poem, courtesy DPS

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never drink caffine in my regular life, but I do often bring Gu, which has caffine on climbs. I generally get a good result from it since my body is not used to caffine. I just make sure to keep good and hydrated with or without caffine, and manage to not have problems.

-josh

I was on a climb once on a really hot day and got leg cramps. One of my partners laid all the blame on the two cups of coffee I'd had that morning. I think it was more like being out of shape and not drinking enough water. This individual advised against even chocolate (eegads!).

Outside Magazine has a brief article on the pro's/con's of Coffee and caffine in the June edition. Basically, what their researcher says is if you are sitting around like in an office environment, you'll feel the diaruetic effect but, if you are performing physical work within 3-4 hours, you won't. I don't really get it becasue I "feel the effect" within 30 minute of a cup o' joe.

Having said that, I love coffee all the time.

Kiwi said:

Coffee = good.

Caffeine = bad.

I drink coffee followed by ample amounts of water to counter the diuretic effects.

Drugs are bad! Didn't you take DARE?

dare.jpg

I have completely eliminated caffeine from my diet. I've found that if you take care of your body and get enough sleep, you don't need stimulants in the first place. Caffeine makes you age faster, it makes you store bodyfat, it may temporarily boost your metabolism but your body ends up overcompensating and you come out below in the end, it dehydrates you, it increases your risk for heart attack and stroke, it messes with your circulation and it makes your breast tissue lumpy. Yuck! Now who wants that?

MissNormandy said:

I have completely eliminated caffeine from my diet. I've found that if you take care of your body and get enough sleep, you don't need stimulants in the first place. Caffeine makes you age faster, it makes you store bodyfat, it may temporarily boost your metabolism but your body ends up overcompensating and you come out below in the end, it dehydrates you, it increases your risk for heart attack and stroke, it messes with your circulation and it makes your breast tissue lumpy. Yuck! Now who wants that?

you have zero appreciation of the caffeine achiever.

btw, i want lumpy breast tissue.

and for you fuckin history buffs the introduction of coffee to europe helped pull that shithole outta the dark ages. so fuck you if you cant hang being at the top of the food chain.

Coffee! Mmmmm!

Actually I drink espresso, which (if you can believe it)

has less caffeine than regular coffee. I Can drink 5 shots a day or none. Either way I'm good, but I definitely gotta have my chocolate when I'm climbing!

Hell, even water is bad for you if you drink too much of it. Like Chris Rock says "Red meat won't kill ya, green meat'll kill ya!" thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif to caffeination. And I think heroin is much, MUCH worse than caffeine, isn' t it?

MissNormandy said:

Kiwi said:

Coffee = good.

Caffeine = bad.

I drink coffee followed by ample amounts of water to counter the diuretic effects.

Drugs are bad! Didn't you take DARE?

dare.jpg

we've got a narcissist here. she's plastered her pic. everywhere and blasted us over at nwhikers.com. so, lady, you gonna hang with us bad boyZ or what?