A good mountaineering course

gblx

wazzup.gif

Looking to pick up mountaineering this year, which hard to do when you live in NY. crazy.gif Planning a trip to Nepal this Fall -- trekking/climbing Island and Mera. fruit.gif Would need some prior mountaineering experience. Any recommendations on commercial/private guides? I’ve checked out AAI, MM, RMI – they are pricey and sound a little touristy but if that’s what it takes then I have no choice. I’m also looking into Canadian companies.

For my plastic boots, I am thinking of getting Koflach Arctis Expe. Any issues/problems with these boots?

Edited by gblx

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a 2 week course from American Alpine Institute when I was in grad school on the east coast and wanted to learn more mountaineering skills. Totally rocked, highly highly recommend them. Some of the best $$ I spent for what I learned and experienced. It wasn't "touristy" at all either. The other 5 folks in my group were also from the east coast (oddly enough), and they weren't afraid of getting down and dirty so we had a great group.

As for living in NY and learning more skills....go up to North Conway, NH. It's a haven for mountaineering bums. Hang out there next winter, take some more mountaineering/ice climbing classes and you'll be all set. The guys at IME rockband.gif

I've also heard the Island and Mera aren't technical peaks, but it doesn't hurt to go in prepared. I've wanted to do those too so have a great time!

I second American Alpine Institute, pricey yes, but you will learn on there trips as opposed to being hand held on the climb. Becareful there are two AAI's, I wouldnt recommend Alpine Ascents International. Todd can organize a international expedition well, but from what ive heard there not all that great for instructional courses.

Is your Island Mera peak trip the one with Mountain Madness?

Just be sure that they are legit and clarify in advance what services they are providing and what they are not. Nepal is a pretty easy country to get good locals as they are used to making a living based on tourism. However, there are still some operators that are just screwed up, some that are not legit, and often the cultural differences can lead to misunderstandings regarding services and supplies.

Mountain Madness has a full time office in Nepal and keeps a regular staff there which allows them to have the best of both worlds.

Good luck... wave.gif

bigdrink.gif

NY has you better covered than you think. Spend at least 1 weekend a month in North Conway, NH or up in the Adirondacks. Except for the altitude you can develop a skill set to take you anywhere. Speak with the folks at IME in North Conway or the Mountaineer in Keene Valley, NY they will have plenty of options that will suite your NY residency. Most important of all get out into the areas that you can get to- even if it is your back yard.