Weekend Weather

Lilly

I am hoping that you can share some information with a Northwest newcomer. I moved here from Denver a few weeks ago. I'm planning my first alpine climb (in WA) for this weekend. The weather forecast looks like there could be a system moving in on Sunday. This time of year is that likely to be a little rain or big storm that's going to make me wish I'd stayed home? We're going to be climbing Glacier peak.

Yeah I know that no one can accurately predict the weather and that things can change rapidly etc etc etc.

Thanks for you help!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't looked at the weather forecast yet but if thats the case you could go and take your chances, leave friday night it stays light till 9:30 these days and go up it saturday, do it in a day if your in good shape, or go do something on the east side of the mountains.

good advice from eric8. saturday looks like great weather and an awesome day to summit glacier peak and see the views. glacier peak can be done in a day by a reasonably fit climber. I'm not sure of your skills in the mountains, but most climbers from the rockies (no offense meant here) don't have the skills nescessary to navigate on glaciers when the weather turns bad. If you can, you won't have a problem. If you can't, sunday might be a very unpleasent day to be on a volcano should visibility drop. Even if the weather isn't particularly harsh, it's amazing how much everything looks and feels the same with 30 feet of visibility and nothing but snow and ice around.

Thanks for the advice! The Rockies aren't home. I just lived there for a while and enjoyed the Rockies while I was there. I've got a fair amount of experience on glaciers but I've no need for an epic just because I couldn't plan ahead. I'll get my partner to leave Friday night.

If I was headed up on a volcano this weekend, (I'm not) I'd certainly be equipped with a storm worthy tent (lots of guy points), a synthetic sleeping bag and full Goretex suit. This is where the good advice stops so I recomend you stop reading unless you are inclined to see me post words just to see myself post some words that are similar to Hemminway or the Beatles.

You are cruising for a bruising as of today's forecast.

Keep an eye to the sky, the big weather system could come in sooner than forecasted, or not at all.

Know what you are getting into and travel fast and good.

In other words, a good climber knows what he's getting into and travel's fast.

However, if you do not know what you are getting into, then you can not travel at fast speeds and are not a more gooder climber.

THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY...SUNNY DAYS AND CLEAR NIGHTS. FREEZING LEVEL NEAR 13000 FEET LOWERING TO 12000 FEET SATURDAY. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES 65 TO 75. WINDS IN THE PASSES THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT WEST 5 TO 15 MPH.

SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. FREEZING LEVEL 12000 FEET.

SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 8000 FEET.

SUNDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SNOW LEVEL 6500 FEET.

I don't know where you guys live, but that's not really a bad forecast for a June weekend in the North Cascades. Take friday off and try to avoid the weather if you can, but even on a "clear" weekend you better be prepared for a storm if you head up on big climb or are going to go way above treeline on a Volcano or something, and there is always a significant chance it will come in early if you head up a day ahead of a predicted turn in the weather. With this forecast, you could get some wind and some moisture and some poor visibility, and even if you know what you are doing you might end up wandering around and getting stuck like those folks did last weekend, but it is far from a forecast that says "go and you will die."

Lilly said:

I am hoping that you can share some information with a Northwest newcomer. I moved here from Denver a few weeks ago. I'm planning my first alpine climb (in WA) for this weekend. The weather forecast looks like there could be a system moving in on Sunday. This time of year is that likely to be a little rain or big storm that's going to make me wish I'd stayed home? We're going to be climbing Glacier peak.

Yeah I know that no one can accurately predict the weather and that things can change rapidly etc etc etc.

Thanks for you help!

I'll be on the same route this weekend with two partners. Hopefully your group will be faster and will kick steps for us....

I don't have to take a day off to leave on Friday but we'll see about my partner. Hopefully we will be earlier on the route than you but probably not faster. Say hi if you see us. I always like to meet new people especially climbers.

Some of you are really negative. I wasn't planning on heading up a volcano in my sneaker and wind breaker! Thanks for the useful info Mattp. I was just hoping for some local insigt into weather tendencies.

Lilly said:

Some of you are really negative. I wasn't planning on heading up a volcano in my sneaker and wind breaker!

Yeah you guys, knock it off!

Lilly - since you didn't say what gear you were planning to bring, I thought I'd offer some suggestions on what I'd bring if I was planning on being out on a Volcano this weekend. If you feel comfortable taking less, good for you. I don't know anything about you exept you are posting to a newbie forum requesting info about the weather on Glacier Peak this weekend. I don't know (or really care anymore) how much experience you have but, you should expect that when you ask a question, on this website, you may recieve info you didn't ask for or like. Take it for what it's worth.

Have a super climb! Post a Trip Report when you get back. thumbs_up.gif

Lilly said:

I don't have to take a day off to leave on Friday but we'll see about my partner. Hopefully we will be earlier on the route than you but probably not faster. Say hi if you see us. I always like to meet new people especially climbers.

Some of you are really negative. I wasn't planning on heading up a volcano in my sneaker and wind breaker! Thanks for the useful info Mattp. I was just hoping for some local insigt into weather tendencies.

Will do. There'll be three of us, and two of us will have what I have been told are "especially gay looking" white packs yellaf.gif. yellaf.gifyellaf.gif so, look for the guys skipping along the trail and whistling...

I saw some pink spandex in that other forum. That might look good with your white packs. I'll be with two gentleman and probably be using my orange pack. I'll say hi if we cross your path.

Bronco-Thanks for the info. I think we are reasonably prepared and I did talk them into leaving tomorrow morning.

Lilly said:

I saw some pink spandex in that other forum. That might look good with your white packs. I'll be with two gentleman and probably be using my orange pack. I'll say hi if we cross your path.

Bronco-Thanks for the info. I think we are reasonably prepared and I did talk them into leaving tomorrow morning.

Have a good climb. the bivy sites for frostbite ridge are very nice. it should be a great bivy on friday night. saturday will be an awesome day to summit considering the weather. I can't remember if it was metnioned on this thread by myself or others, and I'm too lazy to look, but bring tennis shoes for the first 5 miles of trail and leave them at kennedy hot springs. all the routes from that site of the mountain approach/deproach through that point and having tennis shoes makes that 5 miles on trail a hellavu lot more pleasent, especially on the way out.

Also, don't expect much from the hot springs...they aren't as nice as they sound.

So did you guys go up and over on Friday, then head out? We didn't see a soul on the route until the Summit.

Thanks for asking. We ended up doing the Sitkum glacier route. We saw a LOT of people. One member of our group was little worried about Frostbite. We had a great time anyway. We left late Thursday evening. The conditions were great the whole time. I still want to get out and do the other route.