Saturday/Sunday South Spur Ski Solo?

hakioawa

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to have poons and ax and not use them than to not have them and need them. With clear warm weather odds are the snow will be comfortably soft most of the way except for possibly the last bit to the false summit and above. A little wind can change all that up high even on warm days however. cool.gif

The first time I skied Mt. Adams, we left the parking lot at 10:00 am, sat around on the summit, and started the run down the South Spur from the false summit at 5:00 pm. Because it was late in the day, all the hikers were out of the way. The suncups were huge (I believe it was the first week in August), and we were glad that we waited until very late in the day so they would be maximally softened.

If you want to be extra cautious, bring them but I'd be very surprised if you needed crampons and an ice axe to climb or descend the South Spur. (The first few hundred feet off the false summit are very steep, though, and if you are not comfortable with that sort of thing you may not want to ski it and you may want the axe.) There will be a staircase kicked by others and, if it's a nice day, you'll see other people up there in sneakers. The last slope up to the actual summit may be a bit icy, but it is not steep.

I did a 1-day climb last summer (July 21) - took trekking poles, left behind the ice axe and the crampons. If I were to go right now, I would probably take the crampons (assuming you are doing alpine start) but still leave the ice axe behind...

So rather than work I'm planning this trip. Anyone know if you can drive from the north directly to cold springs? I think I'll leave tonight and camp at the trailhead. How is the road? Can a subaru make it? Anyone else going tommorow? I may have a bigdrink.gif for you at the top. I'll bring aluminums and a whipit. I paid enough for that thing a I should use it at least twice.