Suicide, is it an option?

allthumbs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast said:

Suicide... it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. In all seriousness, don't take idle talk like this lightly. I had a very good friend... okay, we weren't that good a friends, but I was probably the best friend he had... anyway, he talked the talk, and that's all I thought it was. When he didn't show up for work after three days, I went by his place and found out he'd hung himself. I was the last one to see him. That's some f@#$ed up s$%t. Don't joke about it.

Gotta agree with "Toast" on this one: there's not much funny in this. The best and most promising student I ever taught became overwhelmed with his own personal problems and shot himself in the head. I found out a year later after I called his home to find out if he'd got his degree. I also learned later that he'd been by my former office a week before he did himself in....probably wanting to chat. I was no longer teaching there. Still greatly bums me out.

So here's to Aaron Cohen.... bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

a fine young man who lost sight of the fact that his own life was precious and worthwhile.

- Don

I think suicide should be an option.

Say you've got cancer in all your major organs. You poop and piss on yourself all day, can't get up to take a shower or feed yourself.

You tellin me suicide wouldn't be a good option then?

Bring back doctor Kavorkian. I'm gonna need that guy at some point. Just when the doctor/vampires start salivating over my insurance policy and potential for keeping me alive but comatose indefinitely.

No this isn't a joke it's the real deal and I would like to have the option.

Complex issue.

When discussing this I think a distinction needs to be made over whether a person's situation is actually truly "hopeless", or whether he only perceives it that way.

In the latter case, those with clinical depression truly see no possibility for their problems, and the mental pain they have created, to be resolved. According to my ex, (who is in the head-shrinking business) this is typically associated with a change in the brain chemistry which at best can be treated with anti-depressants, counseling, and time, and at worst, is genetically based and may never go away completely.

These cases are the ones which are unfortunate if the patient chooses suicide, since there is treatment available to help most patients.

In the former case, where a person's situation is truly "hopeless", it may not always be so cut and dry.

Even "terminal" cancer cases have reversed and people survived. Great care must be taken to determine whether a situation is truly hopeless, and life not worth carrying on.

Is a person justified in taking their own life, once they determine it is truly hopeless?

That depends on the person. If there is no possibility for quality of life in their future, their life is an on-going hell, and absolutely no hope for improvement, then that person's conscience is the determining factor.

wave.gif trask

Dude are you gonna kill yourself or not?

This thread sux dick so shit or get off the pot, enough w/the yakity yak. If those pix were truly from your party, then you have every reason to live. If not, then I suggest slamming your face on the desk w/a pencil shoved up your nose. Better yet. Get a drunk and get a whore.

or.....just a wild suggestion???

Go friggin' climbing! You got arms and legs. wazzup.gif

p.s. just kidding, we love you. really. we do. thumbs_up.gif

Suicide: of course it's an option.

trask said:

Complex issue.

When discussing this I think a distinction needs to be made over whether a person's situation is actually truly "hopeless", or whether he only perceives it that way.

If the person loses hope, aren't they hopeless, regardless of their situation?

Some people worry about growing old and helpless. It can be grim lying in a bed, in your shit, in pain, with close to no prospect for improvement.

I work in a nursing home where 75 yrs is young and we have people over 100. One guy was born in 1898. A lot of the residents tell me not to grow old.

Some people who dread becoming old and dependent join the Hemlock Society. There is still a problem with taking your own life, because it's very hard to define the line at which to take action as your life slides into poor physical or mental health. You may gradually lose the wherewithal to make the decision.

For Mr. Trask, and others, I propose the following solution. We have an alarm clock that you set each night to kill you in the morning if you forget to disarm it. As you get into bed it says, "I'll most likely kill you in the morning, Trask." Once your brain goes to the extent that you forget the alarm clock, it's time for the rest of you to follow.

Not that we don't have some apparently contented vegetables.

Free introductory offer for Trask.

Apparently, this subject is too volatile. I think you whiners are all suck. Especially you, Mr. Layton, for flaming me; and I used to think you were a pretty good guy. frown.gif

Anyway, I'm done talking about suicide. Now I'm on to more important shit like why do I have a huge boner staring me in the face every morning?

This is a spicey subject. Personaly, I refuse to be at the point my grandmother was when she died. What exactly that means tome I am not quite sure, but I do not want to be in that much pain and alive because of machines. Acording to some cultures you can choose to leave this life when ever you are ready. When my time comes, I will know. It is not living many blissful long years that I fear. As long as I can get arround okay and laugh, I figure I am in good shape.

In Inuit society, when there was famine, or when it was necessary to travel in winter to find food, the old and infirm would sometimes commit suicide by removing their clothes and walking out into the night. It wasn't really the same thing as what the Hemlock Society is about. It was more about saving the family, by not being a burden. A horrible decision to be sure. In our land of plenty thank goodness we aren't forced into such an awful choice.

catbirdseat said:

In Inuit society, when there was famine, or when it was necessary to travel in winter to find food, the old and infirm would sometimes commit suicide by removing their clothes and walking out into the night. It wasn't really the same thing as what the Hemlock Society is about. It was more about saving the family, by not being a burden. A horrible decision to be sure. In our land of plenty thank goodness we aren't forced into such an awful choice.

It is said that on the trail of tears the elders would wrap their bodies arround the children in the freezing cold..."dropping their robes" in the night, so that the next generation could go on.

trask said:

Anyway, I'm done talking about suicide. Now I'm on to more important shit like why do I have a huge boner staring me in the face every morning?

Interesting question there. Hmm... is it yours or someone else's. yelrotflmao.gif

Back to your topic. Yes, I think suicide is an option for some people. There's more to it, but it's lengthy philosophy stuff. Suicide has never been an option for me, I think there's too much to live for in my life. But I had an uncle that chose that route and I think he was brave for making that decision.

A good book to read on death is: "Death, The Trip of a Lifetime" by Greg Palmer, ISBN 0062508032