Prusik Peak beta request

ken4ord

Hey All looking for info on Prusik.

1) How is the view? Are there good views of that area, can you see Dragontail, Stuart, Sherpa?

2) Approach? What is the best approach for the West Ridge? How many miles?

3)Descent? What is the easiest way down? In the Becky guide it shows a 150 rappel, is there anyother way? If there isn't can the rappel be broken into two short ones?

Thanks,

Ken

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whattup ken? veiws? yes amazing. youcan see all hahaha.gif

approach; i've been in both ways ie; sno lakes/ assguard pass, and i prefer the latter, start higher, nice trail to lake, amazing scene at colchuck lk. the pass trail is direct. awesome veows of ne face of dragontail, comin over the pass to the other worldly landscape of the upper basins and plat-o, then pleasant hikin around lakes and easily up to the west ridge. around 10 miles.(another fun way to approach this climb is via the serpentine arete on dragontail)

descent: straight forward with 1 rope off to the nw and down to easy scrambling back to start of route.

great climb in a wonderful area, hope some of this info helps otherwise u can do a search cause this topic has seen alot of opinions and ideas cheers bobbyp

Hey Bobbyperu, thanks for the info. I know we talked about climbing this week during the week, so what's up? Prusik info is a back up plan I would do by myself, but I would rather go do something longer and harder. I can't Monday or Tuesday (sort of glad need some time off), but Weds.-Fri. I am free.

Just hitting the gym hard this weekend. On Thursday though I shrunk Outer Space into 4 pitches, soloed up some nasty dirty climb on the South end of the face (booty), and did some ridding the cliff's walk down descent of all kinds of rap slings all over the place. Been doing a lot riding too.

How about yourself?

ken4ord said:

Hey All looking for info on Prusik.

1) How is the view? Are there good views of that area, can you see Dragontail, Stuart, Sherpa?

2) Approach? What is the best approach for the West Ridge? How many miles?

3)Descent? What is the easiest way down? In the Becky guide it shows a 150 rappel, is there anyother way? If there isn't can the rappel be broken into two short ones?

Thanks,

Ken

1) the view is fruit.gif; Y,N,N

2)snow lakes 10-11miles; depending on how many switchbacks you cut across via rock scrambles.... rolleyes.gif

3) you could basejump!

the only option is the rapel off the summit block...unless you wanna down climb the evils3d.gifbeckey 5.6 chimney... hellno3d.gif

bigdrink.gif

Great climb, smile.gif

We did it last year in mid Aug. I recomend the asgard route. It is quicker and a bit less painful. The best way to do it would be to hike to colchuck lake on a Fri evening and then camp a gnome tarm on Sat. Great camp sites near the pass and close to the base of the West ridge route. Then climb on Sun. break camp and go out the snow lakes way. When we climbed Prusek it was perfect weather in the morning. We started climbing the west ridge at 9 am but by the time we made it to the top a T-storm slammed us and we repelled in rain and hail. No views from the summit when lighting is hitting all around. (But any view from temple ridge is great. )We left two biners at the top because we needed to set up our repell so quickly we didn't have time to find the rap rings. Great Climb. I would do it again in a heartbeat. bigdrink.gif Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought it was completely hidden by DTail. Still, I think you'd have a hard time picking that out with the naked eye, when the background sky is light blue and the summit pyramid is white/light colored. Perhaps at dusk with a good pair of bino's?