foiled at follsil

nervedoc

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for the most part fossil is a couple times kinda crag. you go a couple times and you are done.

the sandstone towards wilkeson is more of a practice area used by learning institutions and a local guide service.

fossil sits on weyherhauser land and wilkeson on champion land. they both are controlled logging areas and are subject to be closed or open without any public warning.

if you really want to climb at fossil. park your car at the junction of the k-line and bald hills road and start riding your bike.

just go to north bend if you want to sport climb and go to index if you want to do some real climbing.

email if you want more info

Dude Fossil is choss and i wouldn't go there only bumblies like me that get elvisleg on 5.7 go there . and if you go there you will miss the roar of the freeway and rain at exit 38.If you do go park at the 1000 rd gate #202 and bike in or park at the end of peissner road and go up the 4000 road for a more clandestine approach.Dude its way podunk and I would advise getting a local for your first trip. grin.gif" border="0

Fossil is mostly a pile garbage but had one crag that was simply incredible. every single bolt and anchor got chopped abou t 12 years ago beacuse it was a "sensitive" area on DNR land.

I haven't been to the "sensitive" crag since it was chopped 10 years ago, but the crag had soaring euro sty le walls and was better than WW1 or WW2 for pure stamina training. It had a few drilled pockets but zero bolted on holds. It was tall also, 2 pitches.

To bad it is a crag of yesteryear. I still have dreams about the place. Per haps one of WA best.

PS . Anybody no how to get to the Champion stuff at Wileson? It won't screw it up.

I don't know the exact roads but I will give a shot at describing the way to Wilkenson. Near the end of the town there is a Y. To the right takes you to Ipsut. You wanna go left where the old historical school is. You follow this road for a mile or so, until you see an obvious main gravel logging road on the right. You follow this up (watch out for logging trucks roaring down just barely in control) until you come to an intersection. Stay to the left going past a gravel pit. This is only a mile or so from the paved road. You then see a flat cleared out area to your right where they store logs. You can see the crags at the far end of the clearing on a small hill. Keep going on the road until you are near the northeast corner opf the flat log storage area. You can park near a gate here. The the east a little ways from the gate is a trail up to the crags. This is by no means exact but it's how I found itand remember how to get to it.

If you go to wilkeson, be sure to park at the OUTSIDE the gate just before the gravel pit. It can be locked and it would suck to be on the wrong side of it! Just walk 100 yards and then right through the pit and find the trail on the far side. Don't underestimate this place, Most of the bolts are new and if you like slabby friction it rocks! The first slab you come to is for the most part pretty easy. The far right line has a cool mantle move, maybe .9 or so and there is a double bulge line smack in the middle of the slab that is really cool. It is only .5 if you go around the bulges but solid .9 or low 10 if you go direct. (Can we call it "Battle of the Bulge"??) The first line you see on the extreme left side of the slab I call "bulletholes" and is great fun, especially if you only use the holes and none of the flakes or crimps. (.7 with, .9+ without)

There are a couple of lines on the far end that will make you think. (around .9+ or low .10) The last route just before the big overhang is quite thin and steep, I still have yet to get it. It might go around hard .11.

Actually I have never been there......... wink.gif" border="0

Whoa there! I mistook this thread for the wilkeson one. Oooops!!! Fossil is cool too, if you have lots of forearm strength. Seems like I had more of that when I was single. Hmmmmm.....

Carla, If you like Elvis, go to Wilkeson, the problems there are more foot oriented. In climbing, footwork breeds success!!!!!!!