To chalk or not to chalk?!?!

carolyn

Im just curious of others thoughts on this subject (minus the ethical debate, if possible).

Ive often been taught to make things harder than they need to be so you are prepared when things get tough, both in life and climbing.

We have a few areas around here with a no chalk ethic, which I respect. I dont necessarily frown upon others who use chalk. I just dont feel the need to use it. Part of it goes back to the thought process of , "if you can do this climb greasy or wet w/o chalk, just think what more you might be able to do".

Recently my 'thought process' has been debated a bit. Im told chalk is good. If you dont use chalk, it greases the holds. Chalking up in the middle of a climb gives you an opportunity to take a break, breath, and collect yourself.

I understand the arguments, but I still dont cant seem to break out the bag. And when I do, I often forget its there.

Do folks think chalk is a 'necessary' thing?

Discuss! smile.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends a bit on where you want to go with climbing. If you are in to chasing grades, then you are probably going to want chalk. After all, if you could do so much better with it, then why not use it?

If you carry it and only sometimes use it, that's cool. I find I tend to dip even when my hands are dry, mostly out of habit, but it calms me. Good ol' "dip in the courage bag."

I've never heard the arguement that holds get greasier when you don't use chalk. confused.gif Now washing your hands, and not using sunscreen, there is some ideas that will help.

Out here in Squamish, it's not much of an ethical issue. The rain washes away most of our sins, and there aren't really the big white marks that you see in areas like Smith.

Anyway, I thought Horsechalk was an essential part of every cc climber's arsenal...

Chalk is quite useful! It does actually work when you are climbing in warmer areas and/or if you happen to sweat a lot when working hard which most climbers do. Also works great as a mental boost like snoboy said, a little dip of confidence. Hard to get on really slopey holds without it!

Dru said:

iain said:

(not firsthand knowledge though)

hey bats need to hibernate!

and if it hadn't been for that van full of kids and their dog, i mean, dumb sherriff, we'd have found them too! yellaf.gif

the only thing we were going to find back there was Trouble. cool.gif or maybe one of timmay's nerdy geocaches yellaf.gif

I didn't use chalk at all my first season. But as I climbed more and harder stuff, I started to use it. I think the key (as with all things) is MODERATION. you do not have to use a TON of chalk to reap benafits. alot of the reason I use it is to have something to do with my hands when I am searching for the next moves. It helps slow me down, so I don't rush and screw up. It also helps me remeber to breath. Again.... MODERATION is the key wink.gif

muffy's .02

I use my chalk bag in all sorts of awkward moments throughout my day, if I ever get tense or stressed out, I just dip away and take a breather, straight arm, and then move on.............. yelrotflmao.gif

Next thing you kow, a chalk bag will be the biggest fad since the "little black backpack" or "hello Kitty"

Everyone must wear their chalkbag to work on Friday!

scot'teryx said:

I use my chalk bag in all sorts of awkward moments throughout my day, if I ever get tense or stressed out, I just dip away and take a breather, straight arm, and then move on.............. yelrotflmao.gif

Next thing you kow, a chalk bag will be the biggest fad since the "little black backpack" or "hello Kitty"

Everyone must wear their chalkbag to work on Friday!

DOOD that is so last season in Japan rolleyes.gif they were walking arrond with cell phones and lipgloss in chalk bags LAST YEAR tongue.gif

Chalk usually makes climbing easier. That is, if you use it when you need it. If you become one of those who chalk up automatically, then it might actually make things harder by requiring you to do one more thing in those strenuous sequences.

I never do strenuous sequences though, so who am I to talk.

MisterE said:

There are also other options for skin drying besides chalk that are worth checking out. No info, but a search would help if sweating is the issue....

Sweating is an issue for me! I tried a search to no avail could you make a few suggestions. Chalk lasts me about a move and a half before I am forced to dip again, give me the beta... confused.gif

Here's an idea for you...

Back east, we would mix isopropyl alcohol w/ chalk...use a squeeze ketchup bottle...work this into your hands really well...it'll go from a liquid to a paste and then finally a dry film of chalk that gets into your skin...forms a chalk base, if you will...then regular chalking tends to last better...don't need it out here since the humidity isn't as great...

Dr.Hook said:

MisterE said:

There are also other options for skin drying besides chalk that are worth checking out. No info, but a search would help if sweating is the issue....

Sweating is an issue for me! I tried a search to no avail could you make a few suggestions. Chalk lasts me about a move and a half before I am forced to dip again, give me the beta... confused.gif

THere is the ecoball, which is only a half dozen bucks or so. Folks Ive talked with who use it seem to like it alright.

Rumr...that potion has to just dry the shit outta your hands in the long run!

Honestly, its not the 'ethical issue' that bothers me so much. I learned to climb without chalk. I rarely feel the need for it or forget...even with the humidity and typical slick basalt out here.

I will at least try and remember to bring my bag climbing with me...maybe even clip it onto my harness?!?!

On the other hand, maybe I just dont sweat or work hard enough?!