altitude

I will be competing in a 100 mile mtn bike race in Vail at the end of August. I will be arriving one week early to see some friends and acclimate. During my week of acclimatization I will be staying at about 7k and am looking at some easy rides prior to the race to help with the altitude adjustment.

My question/worry is, since I will be coming from sea level to 7k, then during the race up to almost 11k, severe performance level drop and altitude sickness. I know that from my climbing if I stay super hydrated, I normally don't feel any drop in perceived performance or even experience the typical headache that a lot of my climbing friends enjoy. I have heard, although I can't remember where, that you can train your body to absorb more water by gradually increasing you intake over a period of time. Does anyone know if this is true? It seems to me that your body/cells are like a sponge and that they can only hold so much of anything, once they are full, thats it, the body gets rid of the excess. OR, can you change/adjust your bodies "thinking"to make those cells expand (like the folds in your stomach) into holding more liquid?

Other than continuing to increase my overall fitness and maintaining a high level of hydration are there any other methods of improving pre-race hydration to help deal with such exertion at this altitude?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived in Denver, and have ridden Vail many times. Are you doing the triple-bypass?

The problem with Vail and Colorado is the air is dry as well, so you will dehydrate much faster. The key is to get there about 5 days in advance, and let your body acclimate to the dryer climate. You may want to stay in the foothills for a few days, and ride the red-rock trail near Morrison, White river ranch, climb Mt. Powell in the gore range outside of vail near piney lake( Do this in a day for 15-20 miles, and 13,500 feet elevation). Awsome climb this time of year. Vail is at like 8,000 feet. Give yourself 5 days if possible. Also is it a team 24 hour race? I may know of a team that is lookign for two more members. PM me if you need any beta. bigdrink.gif

No mtn bike ideas here. Do stop by Beaver Liquors while you're in Vail! Also, there's a cool cave call Fulford Cave, just outside of Eagle. Or Hanging Lake headed towards Glennwood Springs and the hotspring pools as well in that town. Colorado rocks.

Oh yeah, take the "short tour" at the Coors Brewery in Golden. All visitors enter a main area to wait in groups for their tour guide. BUT it's also right next to the entrance for the bar there so guess what...? Yep, three free beers from Coors, your choice. Hence the short tour. If you enter the main waiting area, just continue on to the end of the room and go through the double doors on your right, into the bar area. It's a totally acceptable tour, just not one they advertise (the regular tour ends at the bar and it's sorta on the honor system whether you've had your three-beer limit or not).

The Colorado Mountain Club is nearby the Coors factory and might offer some mountain bike tips although I'd bet you could get some good beta from the local bikeshop wherever you're going.

Dare I say 'have fun' for this 100 mile bike ride? wink.gif

I think that the "training cells to hold more water" theory is an out-and-out crock. The amount of water that any given cell will take is determined by the cell's maximum volume and its osmolarity relative to the aqueous environment surrounding it. If a cell is hypertonic to the solution is is suspended in, it will absorb water until it either reaches equilibrium or bursts. If it is hypotonic to the solution surrounding it it will lose water until it attains equilibrium or runs out of water and collapses.

Other than setting personal records for the amount of urine you expend in a given amount of time, I don't the hydration training will produce much of a result for you. Spending a day or two at 10,000 feet or more will do a lot more to improve your performance.

Good luck. Are you doing the Leadville 100?

Yeah, I didn't think that the "training cell.." thing was a reality, just something I had started to wonder about. I have undertaken some fairly physical endeavors at "NW" altitudes, but I have never pushed myself at competition level while at 10K. I'm not so worried about the mileage as I am about the combination of dehydration and altitude. Either way, I figure I'm gonna get my ass kicked and try to figure out why exactly I paid good money to do this.

The race is called the Beavercreek Ultra 100, used to be called the Vail 100, I think the Leadville is 1 or 2 weeks before the Ultra.

Pencil_Pusher said:The Colorado Mountain Club is nearby the Coors factory and might offer some mountain bike tips although I'd bet you could get some good beta from the local bikeshop wherever you're going.

The American Alpien Club's in the same building - stop by the library and plan a trip of your dreams.....