Rainier - Emmons - June 14/15, 03

Dustin_B

Tony, Mark, Dave and I hiked up to Emmons Flats on Saturday, 14th. Left camp at 1 AM Sunday for summit. Pretty cold and windy at camp, only got worse. On summit at 7:30 AM. 1 other team of 2 on summit, which was cool for Rainier on a Sunday in June (what gives?) confused.gif. Back at Emmons Flats at 11:30 AM. 1 hour nap. yellowsleep.gif Hike out.

Route fine, no dicey snowbridges, bergschrund can be avoided by heading to the notch between Russell Cliff and Columbia Crest and passing on the right. Basically to top of Whinthrop Glacier. A little out of the way but safe.

It was so cold and windy up there we were climbing in down parkas, shells, balaclavas, hats (all our clothes) and were still cold. Nalgene froze every 15 minutes or so even in semi-insulated holster. Full moon was awesome, cast shadow of Rainier to the north. Estimate 40 mph winds at top (conservative) and probably 15 - 20 degrees. It was nice not see anyone all the way up. Sort of alpine-experience like. Different story on the way down. Clear and beautiful at the top. Pit toilet at Schurman nice and clean! moon.gif

Coming down around 11:00 AM (almost down at camp) we passed a couple groups starting up! With the slop we were coming down in I thought those guys were nuts to be heading up so late. pitty.gif

No reason to rope up on Inter Glacier as the 2 or 3 crevasses are easily avoidable.

Anyway, that was my second attempt of Rainier (same route) and my first summit. cool.gif Yeehaw!!

rockband.gifthumbs_up.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dustin_B said:

I assume you actually mean 'above' Schurman as in on Steamboat Prow / Camp Curtis. You could find a bivy spot there off the snow for sure. We took a break there on a nice large level spot that was mainly dirt.

Right. Thanks. That's what I was hoping so I only have to take one pad and light bivy gear. bigdrink.gif