Alternate Routes

max

I just wanted to throw this out:

I'd like to hear from people as to their favorite "alternate" route on mountains. More specifically, there are many "classic" (read: crowded) climbs in the Cascades on mountains that have other routes that are of similar difficulty and style, and are just as good! Maybe I can best describe what I'm looking for with an example...

I like the Boulder Glacier on Mt. Baker. It's an excellent alternate to the Coleman_Deming route in that it's a moderate angle, winding glacier route that takes you past some yawning cracks and presents a few "interseting" situations. We did the route in mid to late May and didn't see another party. The Coleman is a zoo at this time! And, the route gave us a great view of the Park glacier headwall. Maybe some one could verify the Park as a good "alternate" to the N. Ridge? Any other Mountains with "alternates"?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The "Rapple Grapple" route on Liberty Bell -- two pitches of steep 5.7 cracks which join beckey route higher up by the friction slab. Good alternative to crowded beckey route.

2) Cave route on Concord Tower as alternative to North Face route. Cool route which passes through a large cave to emerge on the west face for a pitch .

3) Direct Start on Outer Space -- adds more pitches and more challenge.