Small Digital Camera Suggestions?

Alpinfox

I just bought a Canon G2 from buydig.com as well. I recommend doing a search on here for more recommendations and some links for websites that review cameras.

After many hours of research I determined that eBay was the WORST price for all digital cameras I was looking at. THe G2 was on average over $100 more on eBay than at buydig.com.

Good luck

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Canon A20 (discontinued) and it's adequate. Only thing to worry about is condensation and temperature. Condensation might reach the electronic innards and damage the camera. The extreme cold will affect the performance of the camera (responds slower and kills battery life). So keep it dry, water proof, and warm (close to chest if possible).

rbw1966 said:

After many hours of research I determined that eBay was the WORST price for all digital cameras I was looking at. THe G2 was on average over $100 more on eBay than at buydig.com.

No doubt. I learned this a long time ago. A lot of things are more expensive on Ebay.

Thanks for the advice ya'll.

Based on my criteria, the following cameras are my frontrunners:

Canon Powershot s200, 2x optical, 2MP, 9oz, Ebay ~$230

Canon Powershot s230, 2x optical, 3MP, 9oz, Ebay ~$320

Casio EX-Z3, 3X optical, 3MP, 6oz!, Ebay ~$375

Olympus Stylus 300, 3X optical, 3MP, 8oz, ~$300

Now I need to find these in person and check em out. I'm still taking suggestions though, so keep em comin'.

If you're getting a Canon and you want bang for the buck ($300) then I'd go for the a60 or the a70. It has the most manual features for a camera in its price range. Unfortunately, it's a bit bulky (not slim like S range) and about 1 oz heavier than the other Canon cameras you listed. I don't know how serious you are about photography...

As always, check out the cameras in person. It's the best way.

• 2 months later...
Dru said:

The new Olympus 300 series is super small, 3.2 megs, 3x optical zoom (equiv of 35-105mm on film camera), and weather resistant, one of the only digitals with latter feature which is nice for those stormy climbing days.

WHOO HOOOOO!

I finally bought the bullet and shelled out the ducats for this little hummer. Olympus Digital Stylus 300. According to FedEx I should get it on Friday!

ZOS30A.JPG

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

Now you people will be forced to see pictures of my ugly mug in the beautiful places I go.

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

Thanks for the rec Dru and DavidParker!

AF, I found a great little case at freddy meyer for $10.00 that works great. I tied a knot in the strap to shorten it and carry it over my shoulder on all my climbs. (see photo in Princess thread under BC climbs) I added a little key ring to the strap and bought a little plastic biner so when I pull it out I can drop it and it won't tumble down the mountain. (Look for photos soon from Monarch and Princess). The case is made by TEK (tamarack) and has a little pocket for extra battery/card/etc.

A camera in your pack is worthless and this little system keeps me shooting in the places you wouldn't dream of taking your pack off. I am happy with my Olympus and you will be too!

David_Parker said:

A camera in your pack is worthless and this little system keeps me shooting in the places you wouldn't dream of taking your pack off.

I agree...

I use a Commpocket made by camelbak that attachs very nicely to most shoulder straps...Add a small bungy cord as a leash and you always have it available. At least it works for me. This does only work when it is warm. Cold camera's never do very well.

On a side note...I did just get the Canon S400. Great camera that fits all of my needs. I do like the sound capture for the video.

-Mike bigdrink.gif

eternalX said:

How is it that I can't afford that camera with a job when you can without?

I work as a gigaloo in Bellevue between climbing trips. Those microsoft wives don't get all the lovin' they need.

cantfocus.gif

DP & Cracken,

Thanks for the case suggestions, I'll check that out. My windshirt has a little chest pocket, so for the time being I'll just stick it in there or in my pants pocket.

I've only had it for a couple of days now (iain didn't show up to scoop it off my porch Geek_em8.gif), but so far I like it. It's really small and I've already dropped it once with no problems! hahaha.gif

Still waiting on the larger card and an extra battery though.

You will all be seeing pictures of my ugly mug soon.

Fuji Finepix 2600. 2 mp. 6x optical zoom (yes, 6 - like a 220 slr lens). Light and compact. 59 second video, great for panoramas etc. takes AA batteries (so if your rechargeables die you can replace cheaply). I paid under $300 off the net. Pretty easy to use. The one problem is the viewfinder is very dark on inside shots, so that the subject is like a shadow. the photo comes out ok but the issue is annoying. Photo quality is excellent. Software easy to use, tho it doesn't come with photo-altering software. I use a 128mb card, holds tons.

Jimmy O

• 7 months later...

Casio EX-Z3 shouldn't be $375...

I got the EX-Z4U for $400 in January. It is a 4 MP camera, almost as small as the Optio but better battery life and way bigger LCD. I like it a lot...also 'cause the shutter lag is about as short as any digital I have played with, and the powerup time is something like 1.5 seconds.

"The best camera is the one you have with you".