Thailand

kelz

Gordonb said:

...when we are only going to be climbing for 4 to 5 days.

Wow, I thought 3.5 weeks wasn't enough time to explore everything I wanted to. Since your time is limited, definately go check out climbs at The Keep, Hidden Wall, and the Melting Wall. All a little different and way cool rock formations.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would love to spend more time climbing, but I only have two weeks of vacation plus we are taking the kids out of school for one week (the other is winter break) We are open as to where we should be concentrating our time. We climb 5.9 to 5.10ab ratings at smith. At joshua we had problems with 5.7's. We aren't hard core, just enjoy being out on the rock.

We will be doing lots of turisty stuff around Koh Lanta and Bangkok after Rai Lay. With tickets costing $700 from SEA to BKK it is hard to pass up.

I'm over here in Thailand right now ... lovely Patong Beach (Phuket). I've been here for a week after spending a month climbing mountains in the Himalayas (got some pretty sweet photos of Ama Dablam over there, but that'll have to wait for another thread). I agree with whoever said don't book your hotel in advance ... they're so available, and it's better to barter up front because you have that leverage (you can just walk away if you don't get the price you want - there's many more hotels -- if they see you walking away, they're often more inclined to give you the price you're asking for or close to it).

I stayed away from Krabi just because I need a break from climbing after a month in Nepal. The beer is good and cheap, and if you're into women like I am, there's plenty of them. I'm getting treated like a rock star by the ladies (they love Americans) -- it's great! I hear Krabi province is wonderful though (especially Railay), so if you're coming to climb, go there.

It's pretty rainy down here now, but very hot. I've seen about 3 entirely sunny days the entire trip, but even when it rains it'll dump and then stop for a few hours of sun. If you like to party, I highly suggest a few days in Patong Beach! You won't regret it.

Anyway, I gotta run to the bar. Happy hour and .90 cent draught beers await me. Enjoy the rain!

Gordonb said:

I would love to spend more time climbing, but I only have two weeks of vacation plus we are taking the kids out of school for one week (the other is winter break) We are open as to where we should be concentrating our time. We climb 5.9 to 5.10ab ratings at smith. At joshua we had problems with 5.7's. We aren't hard core, just enjoy being out on the rock.

We will be doing lots of turisty stuff around Koh Lanta and Bangkok after Rai Lay. With tickets costing $700 from SEA to BKK it is hard to pass up.

Well now it makes more sense. With the kids, I would still check out the Thaiwand wall cave during the day, but I'd recommend not taking them down into the lagoon unless they are not afraid of exposure and are good easy 5th class scramblers. In and around Bangkok, you can book tours with an english speaking interpreter at your hotel. It can make it more interesting to learn the history. You may enjoy seeing the grand palace and Wat Po. The kids will get to see school children being taught by monks at Wat Po. Outside Bangkok, the floating market and the JEATH museum/bridge over River Kwai (sp?) are really cool. Saw a tout out walking his elephant to the river for a bath. One of the coolest things I encountered during my second trip to Bangkok. Finally had the feeling that I couldn't see that at home, and got into the groove of traveling.

Edited by ehmmic

Koh Lanta is good stuff. If it's anything like what it was like when I was there it's NOT touristy. The island's mainstay then was rubber and coconts, and there was barely a paved road running down the center of the island.

If you do go to Koh Lanta, dive. There's good diving with the most abundant and big ass'd Morray Eels I've ever seen. The dive spot roughly translates to Red Rock/Purple Rock. Also, there's a pretty cool cave on the island worth checking out.