tying together thin and thick ropes

Stephen_Ramsey

I've got a 6mm x 50m cord that I would like to be able to tie to my 8.5mm x 50m rope, for the occasional rappel. I would be using it if I have to bail on a climb that is steep enough where down-climbing is not an appealing option, but not so steep that I would have double ropes (e.g., steep couloirs and such).

Anyone know if this technique (using a 6mm rap cord + the climbing rope) is used much? Does it work well? If so, what is the best knot for tying the two ropes together? For two ropes of equal diameter, I would normally use the EDK. But for the 6mm and 8.5mm together, I'm not sure what to use.

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The good old double fisherman's works always, no matter whether the diameters are different. I wouldn't trust the EDK for ropes of different diameters unless I had a specific knowledge of testing which showed it to be safe. Beyond that, I wouldn't use 6 mm to rappel on. It is plenty strong, but it is very susceptible to being cut. I wouldn't go lower than 7 mm. I'm sure others would disagree.

Coopah said:

Use a becket bend and back it up with an overhand on either side. Much easier to get undone after being loaded.

Sorry Coopah, but unless you have a "becket" to tie it to, it's probably actually a sheet bend you are referring to. Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif

catbirdseat said:I wouldn't trust the EDK for ropes of different diameters unless I had a specific knowledge of testing which showed it to be safe.

Here you go, CBS, Admittedly, it doesn't adress 6mm+8.5mm.

Edited by snoboy

snoboy said:

Coopah said:

Use a becket bend and back it up with an overhand on either side. Much easier to get undone after being loaded.

Sorry Coopah, but unless you have a "becket" to tie it to, it's probably actually a sheet bend you are referring to. Geek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gifGeek_em8.gif

catbirdseat said:I wouldn't trust the EDK for ropes of different diameters unless I had a specific knowledge of testing which showed it to be safe.

Here you go, CBS, Admittedly, it doesn't adress 6mm+8.5mm.

You will note there were three instances in which they tested an 11 mm dynamic rope tied to an 8 mm static rope. In no instance was the failure load less than 950 lbs. So in theory you could use it with the two smaller diameter ropes, but you can't always predict what might happen as you change the scale. Failure load almost certainly would be lower than with the larger diameter ropes. If you do not like the the double fisherman's knot use a EDK backed up with a DFK. If the DFK never get's loaded, it should be easy to untie.

snoboy said:

Coopah said:

I don't know what your smoking cantfocus.gif but a becket bend is exactly what I mean...I think you are uninformed to other names of knots. Maybe you should look it up before you spout off again... wazzup.gif

Edited by Coopah

Coopah said:

snoboy said:

Coopah said:

I don't know what your smoking cantfocus.gif but a becket bend is exactly what I mean...I think you are uninformed to other names of knots. Maybe you should look it up before you spout off again... wazzup.gif

Umm, I looked it up (even though I know I was right) and it seems I am right! Imagine that! blush.gif

Let's take this to PM if you wanna argue more about it. Newbies forum aint the best place for pissing contests. smile.gif